best dark hd650 cable?
Dec 5, 2004 at 10:49 PM Post #16 of 25
Quote:

Originally Posted by ReasonablyLucid
I thought the zu made the 650s a little darker over the stock cable...

Having owned the Zu, Cardas, Equinox, and spent alot of time with the blue dragon, silver dragon, and stock cables.......While I find none of them dark, the Zu has proven while giving a ton of treble detail to be the least bright of the bunch in my system.(followed by the equinox) The brightest being the blue and silver dragon.

Dec 6, 2004 at 1:26 AM Post #17 of 25
I sometimes wonder if we're all listening to the same stuff, our impressions are so different. My conclusions were exactly the opposite of yours.

Dec 6, 2004 at 1:56 AM Post #18 of 25
DBT, that is the solution, and you will be surprised of the results....!!!!!

Dec 6, 2004 at 2:15 AM Post #19 of 25
Quote:

Originally Posted by Ross
I have over the last few years bought all of the Senheiser cables - Clou Red and Blue, Cardas Mk 1 and Mk 2, Oehlbach, Equinox, Zu Mobius, Blue Dragon and Silver Dragon - and will post detailed reviews soon. The best "dark" cable is the Blue Dragon.

I'm definately looking forward to that cable roundup... any idea when we'll be able to read your impressions?
smily_headphones1.gif

Dec 6, 2004 at 2:43 AM Post #20 of 25
I'll try to get round to it in the next week or so. Although judging from some of the comments above, my conclusions may be a little controversial!

Dec 7, 2004 at 10:30 AM Post #21 of 25
Hi all. I just replaced my stock cable for the oehlbachs. I was surprised that there was a clear difference. But not necessarily for the better. The bass is better yes, but everything else is way too smooth and dark. A very forgiving cable though, everything sounds the same, perfect for those low quality recordings. Should I burn it or something and will it do anything to that smoothness?

Setup -> Emu 0404 -> Kenwood krf-6030d -> Rega Ear -> Sennheiser hd580

P.S Its surprising that a simple cable change makes a huge difference to the sound.

Dec 7, 2004 at 11:22 AM Post #22 of 25
I would say that the stock cable is the darkest, followed by the Oehlbach who turns this darkness more into a certain smoothness.
The Zu cable has a lot of treble extension and the highs are all there. I wouldn't call it bright though. However, this might concern our different perceptions of "bright". For me, bright always has a negative connotation, i.e. increased listening fatigue and a very dry sound. Moreover, I usually associate brightness with tipped-up lower to mid highs. Hence, the Zu isn't overly bright if seen from this perspective and neither is the Headphile cable although it may be slighter brighter than the Zu. I concur with Jazz that the Silver Dragon can be called bright.

Ross, I'd be very interesed in this review of yours as I've been looking for detailed information on the Equinox and Cardas cable in comparison to the Zu. Have you by chance heard the Headphile V2 cable as well?

Dec 7, 2004 at 9:33 PM Post #23 of 25
Quote:

The Zu cable has a lot of treble extension and the highs are all there. I wouldn't call it bright though. However, this might concern our different perceptions of "bright". For me, bright always has a negative connotation, i.e. increased listening fatigue and a very dry sound. Moreover, I usually associate brightness with tipped-up lower to mid highs. Hence, the Zu isn't overly bright if seen from this perspective and neither is the Headphile cable although it may be slighter brighter than the Zu. I concur with Jazz that the Silver Dragon can be called bright.

To my ears, the Zu not only has a tipped-up treble, it is bright, bright, bright - but not dry at all, in fact quite liquid sounding. The Silver Dragon is a little brighter than the copper cables, but quite warm for a silver cable. The Zu is brighter.

Quote:

Have you by chance heard the Headphile V2 cable as well?

No, that is one cable I have not heard.

Dec 7, 2004 at 10:10 PM Post #24 of 25
wow, lots of good information. I mostly want a dark-ish sound for the sake of my ears, since I usually listen to my headphones for long periods of time and don't want to subject myself to too much high frequencies. also I like the less fatigue factor as well. Still not exactly sure what would be best to get...I'm looking forward to your roundup Ross.

Dec 24, 2004 at 11:55 AM Post #25 of 25
I'd get the Ohelback , having tried 4 cables and I can from my part that the ohelback it's the best for the price it sells. The cable could be sold at 2/3 times his price imo for what it offers , and probably in this case there would be many more raves and prises on
(
wink.gif
)

It improves the hd650 without changing the sound signature so much as other cables do (imo) ,it do particularly nice on the bass region and keep the whole presentation airy and natural

Users who are viewing this thread

Back