Best DAC for < $200?
Mar 28, 2010 at 11:21 PM Thread Starter Post #1 of 22

Melanter

100+ Head-Fier
I'd like a USB powered DAC for the price I mentioned.

At the moment I have Senn 650s and a LD mkIII. I adore the full rich sound, but could do with a bit more clarity. Not so much as to get rid of those features that I mentioned I love.

Thanks for the help!

Mar 29, 2010 at 11:21 AM Post #2 of 22
oops, my failure!
confused_face.gif

Mar 30, 2010 at 2:39 AM Post #3 of 22
Mar 30, 2010 at 12:05 PM Post #6 of 22
Quote:

Originally Posted by Melanter /img/forum/go_quote.gif
I'd like a USB powered DAC for the price I mentioned.

At the moment I have Senn 650s and a LD mkIII. I adore the full rich sound, but could do with a bit more clarity. Not so much as to get rid of those features that I mentioned I love.

Thanks for the help!

Quote:

Thanks for the advice! Have you guys heard those with the senns?

You should really have a look at the Purepiper DAC A1. It is a nice sounding DAC, with top CS4398 dac chips, discrete output stages and 2 transformers (one for the digital section and another for the analogue one). It is a killer DAC for the price.

I have tried it with the following combination: Purepiper DAC A1 - Little Dot MKIII - Sennheiser HD-650 and it sounded exceptional given the price.

I have already written a full and detailed review of the Purepiper here : http://www.head-fi.org/forums/f7/rev...et-dac-476557/

Mar 30, 2010 at 6:32 PM Post #8 of 22
Quote:

Originally Posted by slim.a /img/forum/go_quote.gif
You should really have a look at the Purepiper DAC A1. It is a nice sounding DAC, with top CS4398 dac chips, discrete output stages and 2 transformers (one for the digital section and another for the analogue one). It is a killer DAC for the price.

I have tried it with the following combination: Purepiper DAC A1 - Little Dot MKIII - Sennheiser HD-650 and it sounded exceptional given the price.

I have already written a full and detailed review of the Purepiper here : http://www.head-fi.org/forums/f7/rev...et-dac-476557/

Right, thanks for the reccomendation! The only problem with that is I'm not sure if I can use it with my Mac? I don't think I have the necessary outputs.

Mar 30, 2010 at 6:53 PM Post #9 of 22
Quote:

Originally Posted by leeperry /img/forum/go_quote.gif
seriously? use an onboard Realtek and keep your cash, $99 for 82dB SNR is not a good deal AT ALL.

What do those numbers mean? What should I look for?

Mar 30, 2010 at 7:18 PM Post #10 of 22
Quote:

Right, thanks for the reccomendation! The only problem with that is I'm not sure if I can use it with my Mac? I don't think I have the necessary outputs.

You can either use it with the optical out of your mac (it has an optical input) or you can use it with the usb to spdif converter+coaxial cable that are provided with it.
Either way, you should have a decent sounding DAC.

Mar 30, 2010 at 7:21 PM Post #11 of 22
Quote:

FYI, a CD has a theoretical resolution/SNR of 96 db and 24/96 material can have a SNR of 144 db. In real life, most DACs and ADCs are limited to around 120 db.

A SNR of 82 db is bad as you might hear noise/hiss with high sensitivity headphones or speakers. Also, it is a sign of poor built quality. Most good DACs that I have measured myself have a SNR higher than 100 db which makes them dead quiet.

Apr 4, 2010 at 10:31 PM Post #12 of 22
I really do value your opinion Slim.A but I know things like these are very subjective.

Does anyone have thoughts on how the purepiper matches up with the uDAC, for Senn 650s + LD mkiii?

Apr 4, 2010 at 11:36 PM Post #14 of 22
Quote:

a CD offers 96dB(6dBx16bit), that's really the bare minimum to shoot for...any serious unit has +100dB SNR nowadays.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back