Best custom IEM for me
Aug 21, 2012 at 11:08 PM Thread Starter Post #1 of 12

bashbro1216

New Head-Fier
I would like to keep my there price under $500 but will go a little over to get what I need.  I recently decided i need secure in-ear's for exercising and everyday use.  I am a bass head, so I need something with good bass but the mid and highs cant crap out either.  I have been looking at the 1964ears Quad and triple drivers.  Is there a huge difference between the 2?  Any other custom IEM in that price range with similar performance?

I want to stay away from having to amp the headphones.  Is amping necessary?

Sep 11, 2012 at 11:15 PM Post #2 of 12
Hi:

I just visited 1964 ears yesterday -- wanted to order some customs, and wasn't sure if I wanted the extra bass of the Q's or not.  Aleksey talked to me for a while, and then offered to demo both for me. 

Set me up with the first set, which I liked very much.  I'd been enjoying my Ety's but missing out on the bottom end.  These had plenty of bass for me.  I assumed they were the Qs, but it turned out they were the V3s.  The Qs really are for serious 'bass-heads'.

I was testing with my 4th gen iPod Touch, no amp (my amp has been acting up).  Plenty loud enough.

I ordered V3s.

Hope this helps

Sep 11, 2012 at 11:33 PM Post #3 of 12
Hi:

I just visited 1964 ears yesterday -- wanted to order some customs, and wasn't sure if I wanted the extra bass of the Q's or not.  Aleksey talked to me for a while, and then offered to demo both for me. 

Set me up with the first set, which I liked very much.  I'd been enjoying my Ety's but missing out on the bottom end.  These had plenty of bass for me.  I assumed they were the Qs, but it turned out they were the V3s.  The Qs really are for serious 'bass-heads'.

I was testing with my 4th gen iPod Touch, no amp (my amp has been acting up).  Plenty loud enough.

I ordered V3s.

Hope this helps

How do you demo customs?

Thanks, Jim

Sep 21, 2012 at 3:31 PM Post #4 of 12
They have some in their office with generic tips -- you can demo the sound, not the fit

Sep 21, 2012 at 3:41 PM Post #5 of 12
They have some with generic 'universal' tips for demo purposes. Obviously not a perfect solution, but you get a good idea of what the sound will be like.

Sep 21, 2012 at 5:19 PM Post #6 of 12
Ah, OK

Thanks, Jim
Quote:
They have some with generic 'universal' tips for demo purposes. Obviously not a perfect solution, but you get a good idea of what the sound will be like.

Sep 21, 2012 at 5:20 PM Post #7 of 12
Just remember that listening in a quiet office is different than on commute where there is a low roar from the train/car/bus engine or road noise by the road. Extra bass might be needed to balance things depending on how and where you listen.

Amps: You'll get more out of your custom with an amp, but it's not a huge differnece, just an audible one, particularly at middle and lower listening levels where an ipod or other player may not be able to give enough juice. I'm not worried about high-volume listening as that will take care of itself as you go deaf...

I'd say an amp is something you can get later.

Sep 21, 2012 at 5:27 PM Post #8 of 12
Lol Kunlun not sure if I agree on the last one :p. I'd rather not go deaf until it naturally happens.... Then I'll start opting for treble happy headphones :wink:.

Sep 21, 2012 at 7:13 PM Post #9 of 12
Lol Kunlun not sure if I agree on the last one :p. I'd rather not go deaf until it naturally happens.... Then I'll start opting for treble happy headphones :wink:.

Me, too!

I always wonder a little when people want an amp to drive their earphones louder. They are just hurting themselves in the long run.

I'm not saying that a bit of loud listening isn't fine, just that I've found an amp is nice because then you don't have to crank the music for it to sound great an come alive. Part of that added volume may be for our ears, but part is to give the earphone enough juice to really perform.

Sep 21, 2012 at 7:23 PM Post #10 of 12
Yep I never buy an amp to add more volume. I just want it to drive my IEMs to its full potential and thus I can listen at a lower volume. I'll pump it up at times as well but I don't keep it like that all the time. I'll find myself using my Studio V at volume 1 at times :p.

Sep 21, 2012 at 9:41 PM Post #11 of 12
Yep I never buy an amp to add more volume. I just want it to drive my IEMs to its full potential and thus I can listen at a lower volume. I'll pump it up at times as well but I don't keep it like that all the time. I'll find myself using my Studio V at volume 1 at times :p.

What Lee said about lower volume.

Also, with an amp I can use a line-out dock cable. With my Etys I thought the FiiO E11/LOD combo sounded signicantly better than straight out of the hf jack. Plus with the Etys I used the bass EQ. I don't anticipate having to do that with my 1964 v.3s

Sep 21, 2012 at 10:16 PM Post #12 of 12
Quote:

I guess we'll just have to agree to agree, then.
wink.gif

Quote:
What Lee said about lower volume.
Also, with an amp I can use a line-out dock cable. With my Etys I thought the FiiO E11/LOD combo sounded signicantly better than straight out of the hf jack. Plus with the Etys I used the bass EQ. I don't anticipate having to do that with my 1964 v.3s

Yup, using a LOD is the way to go with an amp.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back