Best Closed Unamped Headphones for ~300 and under
Sep 18, 2009 at 9:22 PM Post #16 of 29
Quote:

Originally Posted by boomana /img/forum/go_quote.gif
I seriously dislike the HFI-780s, and I've heard them a few times stock, modded, new and with a few hundred hours on them. They're boomy, grainy, and with an unnatural tone. The D2000s are slightly better, but also have a sloppy bass that improves a bit only when amped. I'm going to recommend the ATH-ESW9s (read up on them), but if you decide on that route, avoid buying from ebay as you'll find more fakes than not.

Are you kidding me! Boomy, grainy and unnatural is not something I would attribute to the 780s, quite the opposite. What you might be finding boomana is that the Ultrasones are picking up on details you are otherwise missing, and the 'boom' is the bass, welcome to the lower end of frequencies. The other day I took a listen to the new Whitney Houston album I Look To You and the Ultrasones revealed what a bad recording it is, her voice sounds raspy and the dynamics are flat. The D2000s are much more forgiving however I find them dull and boring, no resolution, monotone bass, nothing more than $30 headphones.

Sep 18, 2009 at 10:49 PM Post #17 of 29
Quote:

Originally Posted by Graphicism /img/forum/go_quote.gif
Are you kidding me! Boomy, grainy and unnatural is not something I would attribute to the 780s, quite the opposite. What you might be finding boomana is that the Ultrasones are picking up on details you are otherwise missing, and the 'boom' is the bass, welcome to the lower end of frequencies. The other day I took a listen to the new Whitney Houston album I Look To You and the Ultrasones revealed what a bad recording it is, her voice sounds raspy and the dynamics are flat. The D2000s are much more forgiving however I find them dull and boring, no resolution, monotone bass, nothing more than $30 headphones.

We'll have to agree to disagree. I've owned/heard a lot of headphones that are recommended on this site, and the 780s are one of very few, even within the Ultrasone line, that I intensely dislike for the reasons stated. Compared to most quality headphones that I've heard, they are boomy and grainy with an unnatural tone.

Sep 19, 2009 at 8:28 AM Post #19 of 29
You can´t use female vocalists to judge Ultrasones. Not the Pro 750 or 900 anyway. They are so bloody phenomenal with voices and female vocalists in particular you fall in love and can´t listen critically anymore

I borrowed some older houston album it was quite well recorded. To bad that the new one isn´t as good
frown.gif

on topic. 8.35D monitors with the new velour pads. There is to options one with vent holes and one without. I also got a longer straight cable to go with it so that is also fixable. It´s better then using a cable extender anyway

8.35D monitors with the "closed" pads are quite similar to stock with lots of warmth but perfectly comfortable, no sweat and even though they still have a closed signature it´s slightly better. Soundstage gets better with the other pads but then it gets a bit cold for my taste. But it´s worth experimenting with for sure. Much depends on synergy as always.

Sep 19, 2009 at 8:32 AM Post #20 of 29
the only downsides to the Shure 840 is that it might be one of the heaviest closed cans I've ever seen or used, and the cord is just stupidly long. You cannot deny these were meant for portable usage, even though they say they are monitors.

Still great though, bass will blow your face right off

Sep 19, 2009 at 9:58 PM Post #21 of 29
So it seems a few people are suggesting the srh 840, so it seems that would be a strong contender, but why haven't I seen more d2000 suggestions. Is there any reason choosing against them? Someone in this thread said you have to amp them for them to sound good, but they only have an impedance of 25 ohms...so i wouldn't think they'd be hard to drive, and a friend who had them in the past said they sounded fine without an amp. so i think the decision would be between the d2000 and the srh 840

Sep 19, 2009 at 10:07 PM Post #22 of 29
Quote:

Originally Posted by Steggy /img/forum/go_quote.gif
but why haven't I seen more d2000 suggestions. Is there any reason choosing against them? Someone in this thread said you have to amp them for them to sound good, but they only have an impedance of 25 ohms...so i wouldn't think they'd be hard to drive, and a friend who had them in the past said they sounded fine without an amp.

Yeah I had the D2000s back when I owned a Singlepower Slam and the difference between amped was night and day. Unamped they sound hollow and pretty lifeless, the bass is slow and all over the place. I've seen quite a few people suggesting D2000s in threads saying they don't need an amp, run fine without etc, but thats only because they don't know any better. I had the $33 JVC RX700 at the same time as the Denons and unamped the 700s won hands down, I sold the D2000s the same week.

Sep 19, 2009 at 10:09 PM Post #23 of 29
i finally got to hear the d2000, albeit briefly and unamped, and i agree w/ all those people who have said the srh840 is much better sonically... especially the mids

but the d2000 is a bit more comfortable and the cord is not as annoying

Sep 19, 2009 at 10:22 PM Post #24 of 29
Philips SBC HP830
M-Audio Studiophile Q40
Sony MDR-XB700

Sep 19, 2009 at 10:33 PM Post #26 of 29
My favorite closed can under $300 is the ESW9. It just sounds right and is fun, quite portable as well. However, it doesn't really isolate very much (but does not leak very much sound) so if your friend needs isolation, I would look elsewhere. It can also get uncomfortable if you wear them for a long time. My second choice would be the SRH840. They are fairly neutral for a closed can and have decent mids. I greatly prefer the sound of the ESW9's but SRH840's isolate really well. I sold both the K271 and D2000 once I got the SRH840. I have owned the Ultrasone HFI-780's but sold them because they didn't sound right and the highs were annoying (also they were truly uncomfortable).

Sep 19, 2009 at 10:33 PM Post #27 of 29
Quote:

Originally Posted by sfmatt /img/forum/go_quote.gif
Beyer DT250/250 or DT150 if your bro really likes big big bass.

The DT150 really needs an amp....

Nov 17, 2010 at 1:48 PM Post #29 of 29
@Nickrobotron

If you e-mail RMCAudiodirect.com about the SRH840's, they'll send you a quote with a link to an order form.  They sent me one saying $129.00, no tax, and no shipping cost.  Really good value and I've read some people buying from Northern Sound and Light for $120.  Either way, much better prices than anywhere else.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back