Best CLOSED Headphones for a Novice Audiophile ?
Sep 18, 2008 at 1:27 AM Post #16 of 45
.... I, again, highly recommend Beyer DT150, the best headphone under $1000. It is closed phone and can be got for under $200 brand new.

Bring on all the current in production flagship headphones, DT150 beats them all.
icon10.gif

DT150_02.jpg

Sep 18, 2008 at 2:18 AM Post #19 of 45
The op might not want to lug about a DT150, though.

I've tried many of the midrange closed portable and semiportable options, and none of them deal with noise like a pair of IEMs.

That said, the HD-25-1 is probably the most portable of the bunch, and you can easily wear them around your neck.

Sep 18, 2008 at 2:19 AM Post #20 of 45
I use closed headphones at work and have tried several models (mostly Sony and Sennheiser) and have finally found happiness with the Audio Technica ATH-A900.

Sep 18, 2008 at 4:20 AM Post #21 of 45
whats wrong with your dt770... i use mine in public all the time!

I'd just use the money to darth yours when the new version becomes available. or just get a px100 if what you are looking for is light and compact.

You wanted to factor your future amp. You are gonna use amp in public transit? Then i guess bulk of your equipment doesnt really matter. (in this case, i would really recommend darh beyers or your own dt770)

Sep 18, 2008 at 12:04 PM Post #23 of 45
Wow, thanks for all the responses guys.

digger945- If I am going to go woody, I think I might go darth beyering on my 770's within the next few months.

fatcat28037- I, for some inexplicable reason, do not trust Sony and their headphones, I've had unpleasant experiences with their portable lines and don't want to take the risk.

ast- I appreciate the suggestion, I tried to find more information regarding the phones but I was I seem to be inefficient in doing so. If you can provide some more info on those things I'd definitely consider them.

donunus- I've seen many conversations on head-fi, and what ast said definitely is!
smily_headphones1.gif

ph0rk- Lugging around won't be the issue, I usually carry 40-50 lbs on me when I am in transit (traveling college student
wink.gif
) so headphones, to me, are negligible. I really do not like the style of the HD-25's nor the fact they are supraaural... :/

Scrith- That is another option I am currently looking into, thanks for reminding me of the possibility. Sadly audiocubes no longer has the Ti version, which I saw a while ago when I was pondering on what to add to my headphone collection.

hyungryul- Well, I didn't have an amp before so I would have music at full blast on my Zune just to get decent volume. I love them, don't get me wrong on that though. However, being a novice audiophile, I would like to increase my collection of phones and therefore like to add something to make my listening opportunities both more diverse and interesting. Also, as I said earlier in this post, I will end up woody'ing my 770's within the next 6 months, so don't worry, that idea has not eluded me, but is an opportunity I fully plan on engaging in.
smily_headphones1.gif

rodentdog- The DT250's seem similar to the 150's but I still am leaning away from them..

Overall I think the struggle is between the ATH-A900, the beyerdynamic DT 880 and the Denon AH-D2000's. I am so bewildered and yet throughly enjoying the decision making process on something that I seem to grow more and more found of every day.

Again, Thanks for all the responses guys and gals.
o2smile.gif

Sep 18, 2008 at 5:27 PM Post #24 of 45
I was planning on writing a posting on the lack of appreciation that the Beyer DT770/80pro's seem to be afforded here, when I came across your thread. I went out looking for a closed headphone for use w/ my Zune & my HeadRoom Total Airhead portable amp. I was actually looking to pick up a pair of AKG 271s but the store I went to didn't carry AKG model above the 240s*(or whatever # that was) so I had a choice between the Senn 280 & the Beyers. I don't think the sealed Senns are anywhere near as good as their open aire models so I picked up the 770s. I didn't really try the 770s staight into the Zune until recently, my impression of them unamped may be close to your's . Given decent amping they are totally different cans. I don't how else to describe them other than to say they are only as good as what is fed to them, if they err at all it may be they are slighly on the 'dry' side. I would say if you are not listening to lossless files of well recorded music you are not hearing what these phones are capable of. If you are looking to hear a full frequencied accurate representation of everything downsrteam from them you can live w/ them. If you are looking for cans that will make your music sound 'good' these may or may not be the right phones, but don't blame the phones because they are up to the challenge. Having said all that I still think my AKG 701s into to my tubed headphone amp are better, but I don't know that I'd care to use them for portable use. The Darth Beyers look really interesting ,but you may be able to live w/ the stock 770s for a while if the other parts of your rig (including the music) are up to snuff. Happy listening.

Sep 18, 2008 at 8:07 PM Post #26 of 45
i'm in the same search, and here are my desires:

i've got the AT ESW9's, Ultrasone HFI780's, Ety 4s, and some tiny AKG travel-something-something.

If I could get the fullness of the ESW9's with the isolation and portability of the HFI780's (and maybe a little less warm, and not a mile of cable), that would be the perfect travel-phone.

I'm intrigued by someone's rec of the Beyer DT150. How's the isolation on it? Does it fold flat? Is that my next can?

The D2000's are on my list also. But i hear they're practically an open-can for isolation.

Sep 19, 2008 at 4:46 AM Post #27 of 45
In listening to both my DT770's and my Senn 595's with a cMoy Amp (Sorry for crappy amp I plan to upgrade to a Little Dot MKIII or MKIVSE within the next few months) I realize I want a more analytical headphone and a less, "I can blast music into your ears and you'll enjoy it" headphone.

I have read previously that DT880's are supposed to be ridiculously accurate. I also hear that the Denon's are somewhere up there as well.

Help would be greatly appreciated all...
smily_headphones1.gif

Sep 19, 2008 at 5:29 AM Post #28 of 45
Quote:

Originally Posted by AYEBOOBOO /img/forum/go_quote.gif
In listening to both my DT770's and my Senn 595's ... I realize I want a more analytical headphone and a less, "I can blast music into your ears and you'll enjoy it" headphone.

I have read previously that DT880's are supposed to be ridiculously accurate. I also hear that the Denon's are somewhere up there as well.

But the 880's are semi-open and do not contain well the music you are listening to, while the D2000s do not isolate you from outside sound at all. I have both, this is fact, not a guess.

If you like your 770s but want more accuracy, get the 600 Ohm version via the MANUFAKTUR section of the beyer web site. They will amaze you, and can be driven by portable amps. I don't consider them travel phones since they don't fold or swivel flat, but you seem OK with that.

A travel closed phone for me has to swivel flat, not be so expensive that I cry when it is stolen, both contain and isolate well, and not be too big: Audio Technica ATH-ES7 works. Perfectly reasonable SQ for a modest price.

Sep 19, 2008 at 6:02 AM Post #29 of 45
Quote:

Originally Posted by wavoman /img/forum/go_quote.gif
But the 880's are semi-open and do not contain well the music you are listening to, while the D2000s do not isolate you from outside sound at all. I have both, this is fact, not a guess.

If you like your 770s but want more accuracy, get the 600 Ohm version via the MANUFAKTUR section of the beyer web site. They will amaze you, and can be driven by portable amps. I don't consider them travel phones since they don't fold or swivel flat, but you seem OK with that.

A travel closed phone for me has to swivel flat, not be so expensive that I cry when it is stolen, both contain and isolate well, and not be too big: Audio Technica ATH-ES7 works. Perfectly reasonable SQ for a modest price.

Haha, to be honest, I just committed the transit that I originally spoke of, carrying my Sennheiser 595's. Let's just say I was relinquished to standing at the door of the train because of how loud those babies were 'cause of leakage. I assume that the 880s don't leak as bad, and that's perfectly fine. I do not need them to be totally silent to the outside world but enough so that people 5 feet away from do not have to enjoy (or hate
wink.gif
) the music that I am playing. If the leakage is anything like the Sennheiser's, then you are absolutely right, sir. :/

Also I am glad you own both I did not know that tid bit on the Denon's, a closed headphone that has sound leaking in definitely does not bode well for an individual that constantly rides on trains.

I am loving the Sleek Audio SA6's if I must say so, quite the improvement over my dying (sadly) E3g's.

Wavoman, if you can comment on their leakage compared to some of the Sennheiser's I think it may finalize my opinion. Also do you know much of the ATH-A900's on the standards that you judged the DT880s and AH-D2000's for me on? Thanks a lot, it is making my "journey" easier...
ksc75smile.gif

Sep 19, 2008 at 7:31 AM Post #30 of 45
Hmm...there've been a few plugs for the HD25...but the OP doesn't like their look. I've never heard that complaint before...they certainly look more portable (less Princess Leia) than the other cans suggested here...

Users who are viewing this thread

Back