Best CLOSED Headphones for a Novice Audiophile ?
Sep 16, 2008 at 5:25 AM Thread Starter Post #1 of 45

AYEBOOBOO

New Head-Fier
I have an open headphone (Sennheiser HD 595) and a closed headphone (beyerdynamic DT770/80) but I want a new closed headphone to use whenever I am in transit (one and a half train rides) and when I am in class not paying attention to professors
wink.gif
. I do not know what my ceiling is exactly for the headphones I wish to purchase but I hope not to spend more than 300-400 dollars for a pair. I am a heavy techno/trance dude with some dancehall/reggae music as well. Also I plan on buying the Little Dot MK III within the next 3-4 months so that is another factor I'd like to consider. I've been stalking these forums and I finally feel that I do need to outright ask the opinion of other head-fi'ers.
smily_headphones1.gif

Any help is appreciated.

Sep 16, 2008 at 5:59 AM Post #2 of 45
Ive been researching about closed cans for portable use recently too and for your purposes, I would try the ultrasone dj1 (make sure you get the newest model) or the hfi-580. Very sensitive cans that should be very loud even out of a portable. Ive also read that the 580s beat the dt770s in sound quality including bass. Ive heard the new dj1s are a tighter bass version of the 580s in tuning and they both use the same drivers. The 580s are supposedly richer yet less tight.

If you didn't need isolation, I would have flat out recommended the denon d1000s cause even though i haven't heard them, they seem to be very well liked around here and are priced very well for the said performance.

I am not really sure if either will satisfy me because I once got akg k81djs which were well liked around here but i thought were horrible. So my recommendations above are based on internet research only and not my own ears.

Sep 16, 2008 at 7:24 AM Post #4 of 45
Have you considered IEM's? Much better isolation and better sound quality too (if you go for the ER6i's
biggrin.gif
)

Comfort is a bit hit and miss for some people though.

Sep 16, 2008 at 7:39 AM Post #5 of 45
Quote:

but I want a new closed headphone to use whenever I am in transit

personally i'd go for the Sennheiser HD25-1's. I'm not saying its a step up, but for portable use, they're good. They're also good for blocking out ambient noise.

Sep 16, 2008 at 7:50 AM Post #6 of 45
Well
Though I don't own a pair and considering your planning on paying 300 to 400, meaning its a full sized can
Denons....?
Forgot the model number though, was it D3000 or something

I'm not sure how the amp factor weighs in, but ESW9 seems attractive if not sexy

Sep 16, 2008 at 8:12 AM Post #7 of 45
The denon d2000 is not really great for use in transit. Its known to fall apart even under normal use
biggrin.gif
Plus it doesn't isolate from outside noise

Sep 16, 2008 at 3:41 PM Post #9 of 45
donunus Thanks for the suggestions, after looking at what you suggested, im going to be superficial and say I prefer the look of a Denon AH-D2000 or beyerdynamic DT 880.

QQQ Thanks for the suggestion, I think I might follow up on it...
smily_headphones1.gif

fraseyboy In actuality, I already have Shure E3g's and I just bought a pair of Sleek Audio SA6's so I have that base covered. I am really just looking for a nice pair of closed cans...

captian73 In all honesty, they look terrible, and though they may be GREAT for transit, I again implore the superficiality factor.. :p

donunus Again, thanks I knew that the durability of the Denon's were an issue, and it seems you presented their strength to me adequately enough to convince me to not pursue it as hard as I previously did.

jonathonjong Thanks for the confirmation, one never wants to ride off the opinion of one person, whether it is justified or not
wink.gif
. I still just can't seem myself wearing those HD-25-1 II's... :/

I am looking into the beyerdynamic DT880's (and possibly the 990's but I prefer the analytical sound over excessive emphasis on certain sound ranges.) I was wondering if any can comment on the sound leaking issue of these cans, I was already complained to about my 595's on the LIRR (any New Yorkers here? :p ) so I really want to avoid that issue. I would look into either the HD 600's or 650's from Sennheiser, but I am afraid of how much they leak so I plan to purchase either one of those after I graduate and I can enjoy it in the privacy of my home. I am also open to Open headphones that leak minimally as long as I can listen to them to a mid-high level and not have other passengers looking at me like I am blasting a boom box.

Again, Thanks guys and please keep the suggestions coming.
smily_headphones1.gif

Sep 16, 2008 at 5:52 PM Post #11 of 45
Since I haven't seen it mention I'll throw out the AKG-K271. Not much time listening to it, but it seemed like a really good closed phone, but I didn't test for isolation/sound blockage:

AKG-K271

Sep 16, 2008 at 6:05 PM Post #12 of 45
Quote:

Originally Posted by Shingetsu /img/forum/go_quote.gif
What about HD25s + port amp?

Of course... My bad on this one. Of course HD 25 is a good choice!

Sep 16, 2008 at 10:29 PM Post #13 of 45
Sigh, but they are so unsightly to me! :p I just bought a BSG cMoy amp on eBay (my first true foray into the headphone amp world haha) so I guess I have a "portable amp" now.

DT 880, anyone can comment on noise leakage? :?

Thanks again, guys and gals.
smily_headphones1.gif

Users who are viewing this thread

Back