Best closed back headphones for under £50?
Oct 6, 2017 at 5:27 AM Post #16 of 45
Thanks Greq

The AKG Y55 arent as readily available near me either. How do you rate the Y50's in comparison, as theres not much info about them against eachother.

I know they arent ideal for Djing, but they will work if they are closed and can put out fairly decent levels from an external audio interface.

I will check out the philips, but really was looking for the slightly more compact on ears :)

Oct 6, 2017 at 6:04 AM Post #18 of 45
INteresting. The price seems to vary on those so much! I leave on Tuesday, so I dont think I can get them delivered from Soundmagic in that time! They sound like they might be a little light on the bass from some reviews I just read. But its so subjective. I woudl love to try them. I have the Hp200s, which I dont love, I find them a bit harsh.

I cant believe the price differences!

Oct 6, 2017 at 2:04 PM Post #21 of 45
Maybe a used M40X? Don't know the prices currently

Oct 6, 2017 at 2:59 PM Post #22 of 45
Thanks but I dont really have time to buy used. I leave on Tuesday. Im going to a shop to try the AKG y50's, see what all the hype is about! Hopefully they will have some others, but there isnt much in that range :)

Oct 6, 2017 at 6:49 PM Post #23 of 45
The Musical Fidelity MF100 and the Sony MDR10rc still take some beating at £35-£40 through Amazon. Around a third of their original prices.

Other than their comparative lack of isolation (contributing to a wider more open sound stage in both cases) they are pretty much on the same level as my HD25. They will obviously not have the lifespan of the Sennheisers which is why I have 2 pairs of each.

The Sony are more relaxed and have a very loose clamp. The MFs are ultra precise and detailed but not really fatiquing once you get used to them. Very diferent to mist modern consumer headphones.

Neither might appeal to a fan of the HD25 but are great phones and incredible bargains in their own right. They are both on ear which is what I also prefer.

I like all three!

Last edited:
Oct 6, 2017 at 9:22 PM Post #24 of 45
Well that wasn't in the first post that I quoted nor the title.
I get it, I'm like Colombo over here reading things, collecting data and whatnot...who reads past the first post??

Oct 6, 2017 at 9:23 PM Post #25 of 45
I find it surprising that the OP has literally in the HD562 the closest thing to what they are looking for and they dismiss it because they heard the build quality isn't as good as the Sennheisers and it doesn't sound quite the same....but, for less than $50, nothing will be built as well or sound as good.
I have seen some of the lower level AKGs and the build quality from that to the Superluxes is on par. As far as the sound, I haven't heard either of them, let alone side by side....but there is a video, of a well known reviewer comparing the bargain priced headphones to the pricier ones favorably.
I understand you can lead a horse to water, but you can't make him drink and all that....
but if I said 'hey, my girlfriend really likes my Fidelio L2s but I don't want to spend that much money"
and someone said "hey, here's a headphone that looks nearly identical, sounds almost just as good and it's $30" I'm pretty sure I'd be getting those instead of spending a bunch of time trying to find some OTHER thing she might like....but that's just me I guess.

Last edited:
Oct 7, 2017 at 12:18 AM Post #26 of 45
OP, save yourself the trouble and just get the AKG Y50. The under $50 bottleneck is already a huge issue cause not many great headphones are under that price bar the Superlux HD668B. Cut your losses and just bite the bullet on the Y50.

Oct 7, 2017 at 3:33 AM Post #27 of 45
It's £ not $ ie we are talking the UK. That Akg is above the budget here. There are a couple of interesting alternatives well under that and will be unfamiliar to Americans. See above

As for Superlux (and Samson?) isn't there something a bit naff about a copy. A faux Sennheiser or Akg. BIT Westfield 7 against Caterham. An MR2 basesld Ferrari replica?

Surely if you bought one if those you'd spend a lot of your time wishing you'd saved up a bit more and bought the real thing.

I'm sure they sound OK but it can't be that hard to design something original

Oct 7, 2017 at 3:44 AM Post #28 of 45
Godbluff, thanks for the suggestions, once you start looking there's just more and more! The mf100s look interesting, I'd love to hear them. The Amazon reviews seem more consistent with them than most other headphones I've looked at.

The Sony MDR10rc seem a little less appealing, just with people talking about them falling apart and undefined bass.

Cruelhand Luke...the thing is I leave the country on Tuesday and those hd562s aren't available easily here for that quick delivery. Amazon doesn't currently have them. If they did I would probably give them a go. I did read quite a lot of people saying they couldn't really believe they were being compared with hd25s as they sounded nothing alike. But also it is off putting to read so many stories of headbands snapping etc. I'm not expecting hd25 quality for that price.

So I'm thinking of ordering a couple of pairs from Amazon, and sending the one I don't like back. So what do you think of ones that have been suggested would be a good couple to get...

I feel I need to hear the akg y50s now. Other than that maybe these musical fidelity ones sound interesting, just a little off putting reading about the possible harsh high end....but people say it calms down.

Thanks for all your help, I'd be lost without it! It's hard to know these days when so many people want ridiculous bass and trendy headphones and you just want a nice balanced sound.

Oct 7, 2017 at 4:22 AM Post #29 of 45
I was slightly concerned the mf100s might not be loud enough powered by a phone for instance. It seems a couple of review mentioned it. That would be a deal breakers, but otherwise I find the. Very interesting.

Also, can anyone say anything about the akg y55 and how they compare to the y50? There's very little about it

I'm going to order a couple of different pairs on prime today , likely the y50 and the mf100 and send back the one I don't like. Unless anyone thinks there would be a better pair to try!

Oct 7, 2017 at 7:35 AM Post #30 of 45
Godbluff, thanks for the suggestions, once you start looking there's just more and more! The mf100s look interesting, I'd love to hear them. The Amazon reviews seem more consistent with them than most other headphones I've looked at.

The Sony MDR10rc seem a little less appealing, just with people talking about them falling apart and undefined bass

Hi. the MF100 is very sensitive and sounds at its best from a phone or in my case Walkman (Musical Fidelity headphones seem uniquely tuned fir lesser sources). The Sony is harder to drive and benefits from greater amplification. Anyone who thinks the bass is ill defined though must be mistaking these for their MDr1a or Mdr10 big brothers. The Rc is besutifully balanced and far superior in my opinion to the newer over ear over hyped MDR100. They struggle to stay on my head though:frowning2:

Only had the Akg Y45BT not the Y50, those had one of the most unnatural sound ive heard. Weird left and right only sound stage, tunnel like and plastic tonality.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back