Best closed back headphones for under £50?
Oct 7, 2017 at 2:53 PM Post #31 of 45
I'm going to order a couple of different pairs on prime today , likely the y50 and the mf100 and send back the one I don't like. Unless anyone thinks there would be a better pair to try!
Good idea.

Words of advice regarding the MF100 They are the antithesis of most modern consumer tuned headphones. You may find them brighter than what you're used to.
Allow plenty of burn in both for the headphone and your brain.
Fit the supplied alcantara pads and stretch the headband a little.

They will sound natural and correct after a while. Many other modern headphones will sound a bloated bassy dull mess in comparison. Switch back immediately from another headphone even the HD25 and they will initially shock with their purity of sound.

hopefully but not guaranteed you will fall in love with them. If not they've cost you very little

Last edited:
Oct 7, 2017 at 3:03 PM Post #32 of 45
Thanks god bluff, the MF100 will arrive tomorrow. If they really dont work out I can get the Y50's on monday. But I will test them side by side.

I like teh clairty personally, but its for my girlfriend and Im not really sure what she wants, but as with most people she responds to bass!! It will be interesting to see tomorrow.

I have the soundmagic HP200's and when I switch from them to my HD25s Im always shocked at how messy and bassy and congested it sounds! I wonder if the MF100 are similar. We shall see

Thanks for your help

Oct 7, 2017 at 3:21 PM Post #33 of 45
Thanks god bluff, the MF100 will arrive tomorrow. If they really dont work out I can get the Y50's on monday. But I will test them side by side.

I like teh clairty personally, but its for my girlfriend and Im not really sure what she wants, but as with most people she responds to bass!! It will be interesting to see tomorrow.

I have the soundmagic HP200's and when I switch from them to my HD25s Im always shocked at how messy and bassy and congested it sounds! I wonder if the MF100 are similar. We shall see

Thanks for your help
If she doesn't like them (and to be honest she probably wont) keep them yourself and give her the AKGs or buy a second hand pair of HD25s ?!? :triportsad:

Oct 8, 2017 at 6:31 AM Post #35 of 45
I got the Musical Fidelity MF100s in the post today!

First impressions are what others had talked about....these headphones are bright. But I woudlnt say too much on a lot of music. Especially eletronic stuff that I know is incredibly well produced and balanced, these heapdhones actually bring out a lot of detail that you wouldnt normally hear, but the bass is stilll very much there, its tight and controlled.

Jumping back and forth between these and my HD25s and Soundmagic HP200s, the latter two sound very warm but also muffled. Its like tipping the whole tonal balance the other way! I defintely miss the clarity when switching to the HD25's, but i also enjoy the warmth and bass! It makes me wonder if something inbetween would be perfect!

I am so used to listening to my HD25's that most headphones will sound a bit weird and possibly bright to me.

The build quality of the MF100's is ok, I am a little worried about the headband, Id like to stretch it over something, but im afraid it might snap. It seems to just be plastic. I dont like the tiny thin wires than go from the cup to the headband, seems like something bd could happen with that!

I am just playing music through them all day to see if they calm down a little in the high end. I am not sure how much I believe in the whole burn in thing, everyone has their opinion!

But I think I will keep them for my girlfriend as they were only £35, and I dont want to fork out twice that on top for the Y50s, although I am interested to hear what those sound like, and if they are worth twice the money!

My girlfriend is used to terrible quality headphones she has bought herself, so these will no doubt be a stepup, as long as she does not compare them directly to my other headphones and get sucked into the bass trap! I have to say in general I prefer the warmer feel, I also get tinnitus after listening to music, and it seems the more high end the worse it is, so that plays a part!

Thanks for everyones help on this :)

Oct 8, 2017 at 6:50 AM Post #36 of 45
I've just realised that on one side where the headphone band extends for larger heads, it is very loose and almost falls open. Im not sure if this is a good enough reason to send them back as I barely have any time before I go! Has anyone else experience this with these headphones? I dont want to send them back and get the same problem or some other one!!

I have read many people struggling to change the pads, and I worked it out by accident! If you take off the pad to reveal the plastic, you will seee a little notch cut out of the circle....you must use this. Just hook a little bit of the pad over that, and then you just rotate the pad on to the headphone and it works perfectly. It takes a couple of seconds and isnt fiddly at all! Hope that helps

Oct 8, 2017 at 11:13 AM Post #37 of 45
I've just realised that on one side where the headphone band extends for larger heads, it is very loose and almost falls open. Im not sure if this is a good enough reason to send them back as I barely have any time before I go! Has anyone else experience this with these headphones? I dont want to send them back and get the same problem or some other one!!

I have read many people struggling to change the pads, and I worked it out by accident! If you take off the pad to reveal the plastic, you will seee a little notch cut out of the circle....you must use this. Just hook a little bit of the pad over that, and then you just rotate the pad on to the headphone and it works perfectly. It takes a couple of seconds and isnt fiddly at all! Hope that helps

Yes the pads are ridiculously easy to swap and a lesson to others. The alcantara pads do tame things a little but these headphones do require extensive burn in. Anyone who says there isn't such a thing should be made to listen to a pair of MF100 s for at least 200 hours non stop

As far as the headband it is a bit cheap compared to the cups and drivers. Mine were also looser on one side they are both equally loose now:wink: . It can however be stretched with impunity with no chance of breaking

Last edited:
Oct 8, 2017 at 11:18 AM Post #38 of 45
Thats good to know, I will stretch them out a bit.

One thing is that the earpads are very stiff, even the softer ones, compared to my HD25s which are very soft and squishy. I wonder why they do this, as softer pads woudl surely not cost more to make, but it would provide a much nicer experience. I wonder if there is anyway to make them softer!

I am just burning them in now, going to leave them with music playing fairly loud for a day or two.

:)

Oct 8, 2017 at 3:17 PM Post #39 of 45
'Scrunching' the pads especially the more comfortable and less sweaty alcantara suede effect ones will improve things. Along with stretching the headband and giving them time. They will never be as comfy as HD25 on velours however.

They are a bit if a a Marmite headphone but worth the perseverance to aquire the taste.

Don't be too tempted by their MF200 brothers they are actually far less comfortable due to their excessive clamp, which never seems to ease up. They do sound more 'refined' though but I prefer the brighter more open 100

Oct 8, 2017 at 6:09 PM Post #41 of 45
It helps if you remember you paid just £35 and not the original £119. I've got the lot; MF100/MF200 and in ear EB50/EB33. Although my original EB50 cost £100 over 4 years ago, the whole collection could subsequently be purchased for around £160.

Musical Fidelity's gift to the audiophile thanks to their premature withdrawal from the market.

Oct 8, 2017 at 6:15 PM Post #42 of 45
Well something has happened to my MF100's already! I was listening and the cable got snagged slightly as I walked past something, really not very hard...I do it all the time with my HD25s! And now the sound is just not right....

Hard to explain, it sounds slightly distorted, quiet but mainly just very odd and distant. I really cant work out what is actually happening. I plugged them into a keyboard I have, and you can hear almost nothing when playing the piano sound, but when you turn up the reverb you can hear a lot more of that! Its very strange, and thats kind of how music sounds, as if you can hear al lot of the reverb but not the rest. It does sound a bit different if I pull the plug out a little, more normal, but more mono.

I have tried wiggling all parts of the cable, really trying every movement to see if the original sound comes back and it doesnt, which again seems strange.

So unfortunately Im going to have to send them back to amazon. I did like them in a way, but I think I was trying to convince myself a little too, as the sound was a bit much for me on the treble side, and they were not very comfortable, and I only listened for 20 minutes at a time.

I still think if they dont break that £35 is a bargain for the sound you get. I just dont think I can justify buying them again if a tiny little snag ruined them. I am going to try the AKG y50s tomorrow, and hopefully they will be good enough!

Thanks again for your help :)

Oct 8, 2017 at 7:29 PM Post #43 of 45
The Superlux 660HD is helped by the DeKoni leather and memory foam pads. (The beyer770 models fit) It is $40 well spent as the stock pleather pads get hot and uncomfortable pretty quickly.

Oct 8, 2017 at 8:22 PM Post #44 of 45
Well something has happened to my MF100's already!
that's a shame. Sorry they didn't work out for you and I feel a bit guilty for recommending them to you. Good luck in your quest!

Oct 9, 2017 at 3:51 AM Post #45 of 45
Dont worry about it, its not your fault! I was actually quite happy with them, and to be fair I did snag them on something, but it was really nothing much at all. Its a shame it happened, now I have to spend nearly twice as much on the Y50's!!

My girlfriend travels a lot and I imagine they will need to be a bit more durable. Saying that, the Y50s might be a similar build quality or worse...Ill find out later :)

Users who are viewing this thread

Back