Best classical recordings...ever!
Dec 13, 2015 at 8:33 AM Post #7,096 of 9,368

Hell he didn't: he could've written the motherf***ers for the harpsichord. 
biggrin.gif

I'll echo Quinto that not all fortepianos are created equal. For instance, the one Staier used for his Diabelli Vars. didn't bother me at all. The one Levin used for his WAM concertos, on the other hand, was just a bit too plunky for me. Though I must say the same kind of instrument works well for his recording of the first 3 WAM sonatas, since it just kinda works with the source material.

Well, the trick for the buyer (us) is to figure out which fp's sound more modern and not like f--- harpies. 
biggrin.gif

Dec 13, 2015 at 8:36 AM Post #7,097 of 9,368

Tjeezz costs more then Annie Fischer
blink.gif
I will give her some time to sink in, she sure as hell deserves that. I still can't get over what I'm hearing..I'll keep an eye on Kuerti in the mean time, seems an interesting character..
rolleyes.gif

I'm gonna check out Cleveland Quartet, hack, I only have 15 or so complete Beethoven SQ,  I'm an addict
biggrin.gif

Yeah, the Kuerti box is costly. And as I already have about 5-7 completes, .....That's why I got his #30-32 disc. Not all the sonatas are my favs. The later ones are, though.

The Cleveland complete box is also expensive. Get their single discs for the qts you like the most.

Dec 13, 2015 at 8:45 AM Post #7,098 of 9,368

Yeah, the Kuerti box is costly. And as I already have about 5-7 completes, .....That's why I got his #30-32 disc. Not all the sonatas are my favs. The later ones are, though.

The Cleveland complete box is also expensive. Get their single discs for the qts you like the most.

Which pianist is your favorite for Beethoven?..funny thing I'm not the greatest Brendel fan for Beethoven (love his Schubert), although I discovered and loved Beethoven through him many many moons ago..but I still adore his last three (Philips) sonatas and Hammerklavier.

biggest Beethoven disappointment so far, Stewart Goodyear, ZZzzzzz...

Dec 13, 2015 at 8:53 AM Post #7,100 of 9,368

Which pianist is your favorite for Beethoven?..funny thing I'm not the greatest Brendel fan for Beethoven (love his Schubert), although I discovered and loved Beethoven through him many many moons ago..but I still adore his last three (Philips) sonatas and Hammerklavier.

Gimme a few yrs to think this out.

Seriously, for the piano sonatas in general, Kempff. Not far behind him are Arrau and Pollini. Then Brendel.

I resisted Goodyear, intuitively. I want Levit to record a cycle. He did the late sons very well.

I suspect Fischer is terrific too, but I have only a few of her sons. Not a completist.

Dec 13, 2015 at 9:03 AM Post #7,101 of 9,368
^  Kempff's Schubert cycle is my fav. Stupendously moving D.960 and joyful D.664. The orig golden box with plastic cases (not cheap sleeves) is a gem.

images

Dec 13, 2015 at 10:16 AM Post #7,102 of 9,368

Gimme a few yrs to think this out.

Seriously, for the piano sonatas in general, Kempff. Not far behind him are Arrau and Pollini. Then Brendel.

I resisted Goodyear, intuitively. I want Levit to record a cycle. He did the late sons very well.

I suspect Fischer is terrific too, but I have only a few of her sons. Not a completist.

love Fischer's opus 10

Dec 13, 2015 at 10:53 AM Post #7,103 of 9,368
Any opinions of Francois Frederic Guy for Beethoven?  he first came to my attention when his recording of the Hammerklavier came tops in a BBC Radio 3 survey of available recordings, he since done a complete set live
http://www.prestoclassical.co.uk/r/Zigzag/ZZT333   (complete bargain price BTW)

The sound is a bit over-reverberant but I get more out of these performances than out of Brendel's great 1970s set which I also have.  Still leaves room for Pollini & Levitt in the late sonatas, and Perahia for the odd few he has recorded.  

Dec 13, 2015 at 11:28 AM Post #7,104 of 9,368

Been struggling to fall asleep as of late. Might give this goodyear a try.

Dec 13, 2015 at 11:32 AM Post #7,105 of 9,368
Beethoven Sonatas (complete cycle)
Kempf
Barenboim (especially the first set) Delicate perhaps missing a little something due to youth
Schnabel (but the sound sucks) and he makes a mistake here and there but wow
Richard Goode good modern recording, sensitive performance
For Fortepiano Burda-Skorda 

Dec 13, 2015 at 12:09 PM Post #7,106 of 9,368
  Any opinions of Francois Frederic Guy for Beethoven?  he first came to my attention when his recording of the Hammerklavier came tops in a BBC Radio 3 survey of available recordings, he since done a complete set live
http://www.prestoclassical.co.uk/r/Zigzag/ZZT333   (complete bargain price BTW)

The sound is a bit over-reverberant but I get more out of these performances than out of Brendel's great 1970s set which I also have.  Still leaves room for Pollini & Levitt in the late sonatas, and Perahia for the odd few he has recorded.  

Not heard Guy's LvB yet. Looking for the set by Goode. Have his opus 31, really Goode stuff.

Can anyone recommend Badura-Skoda doing Schubert on his private kaboodle of fp's?

81DqlTFiRgL._SL1500_.jpg

Dec 13, 2015 at 12:14 PM Post #7,107 of 9,368

Not heard Guy's LvB yet. Looking for the set by Goode. Have his opus 31, really Goode stuff.

Can anyone recommend Badura-Skoda doing Schubert on his private kaboodle of fp's?

It is even better than the Beethoven...

Actually the most interesting fp recording of late I have heard is this one:

Dec 13, 2015 at 12:36 PM Post #7,109 of 9,368
  iTunes may be my only source for Goode's Beeth sons. The album with the late sons looks good, as do the ad libitum complete set.

Does Amazon US have ok shipping to Canada? I see some used complete set for mid USD 40s

Dec 13, 2015 at 1:06 PM Post #7,110 of 9,368
  Does Amazon US have ok shipping to Canada? I see some used complete set for mid USD 40s

They do ship, sometimes. Thanks.

For solo piano, iTunes ain't bad -- got some Fischer tracks of fav sonatas, they sounded spacious on floor system. Will do for Goode, some sonatas only.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back