Best classical recordings...ever!
Dec 12, 2015 at 7:15 PM Post #7,081 of 9,368
Aight, Alexander it is. Between that and the Brautigam sonata's set, Santa might have to be a little cheap this year.

Dec 12, 2015 at 7:18 PM Post #7,082 of 9,368
Ashkenazy's set is great for beginners who want to get a sense of each piece. I'm glad it exists for that purpose, but it doesn't add anything for classical buffs.

The Alexander set has precise playing and is very well-recorded. It's a great reference but it doesn't touch my heart. Still looking . . .

Dec 12, 2015 at 7:19 PM Post #7,083 of 9,368
  Aight, Alexander it is. Between that and the Brautigam sonata's set, Santa might have to be a little cheap this year.

A friend gave me the Flac for Brautigam's Mozart sonatas. I haven't heard his Beeth yet, but I think he uses a fortepiano for them. A deal-breaker, for me, as I prefer a modern for Beeth's late sonatas especially.

Just bought Anton Kuerti's disc of sonatas 30-32. I've always admired his Beethoven.

Dec 12, 2015 at 7:20 PM Post #7,084 of 9,368
  I'm hungry for yet another Beeth piano sonata set.

Which one:

a. Ashkenazy
b. HJ Lim

I'm leaning to Lim, as I've never heard her, she's young, and I want some hopefully rebooted LvB from young hands. But I need your opinions.

(Believe me, I have the big guns' sets already -- Kempff, Brendel, Arrau, Barenboim, Fischer, Gilels, Pollini, Gulda, Lupu).

*sigh*

81I11Jnu8ZL._SL1417_.jpg

HJ lim is terrible

Dec 12, 2015 at 7:23 PM Post #7,086 of 9,368

Surely not as bad as L-L?

lang lang never recorded the complete set of Beethoven thankfully!

She implies in the liner notes of her "complete" Beethoven Sonatas that the two Op. 49 sonatas were omitted because "they don't count," 
confused.gif

Dec 12, 2015 at 7:24 PM Post #7,087 of 9,368
  lang lang never recorded the complete set of Beethoven thankfully!

She implies in the liner notes of her "complete" Beethoven Sonatas that the two Op. 49 sonatas were omitted because "they don't count," 
confused.gif

Yeah, that omission really drew brutal criticism. A real gaffe. Anyways, scratch Lim off my list, tg. Heard previews on iTunes. Not superb.

I ordered Kuerti's #30-32 sonatas. I like his Beeth very much.

Dec 13, 2015 at 3:49 AM Post #7,089 of 9,368
Re: ABQ's Beethoven, I bought it as a xmas present for my father ... But I think I subconsciously bought it for myself (oops) ... anyway I just finished ripping it this afternoon before I wrap it up :)

:beerchug:

(I rip my CDs before selling them on CAM)

Yes! Applaud you guys. True genius.

I've been lifting Christmas presents for my family from the mall as well (think I'll sell some of them for cash on ebay, too)!

Dang, we're a clever bunch aren't we!

Dec 13, 2015 at 4:32 AM Post #7,090 of 9,368
  I'm hungry for yet another Beeth piano sonata set.

Which one:

a. Ashkenazy
b. HJ Lim

I'm leaning to Lim, as I've never heard her, she's young, and I want some hopefully rebooted LvB from young hands. But I need your opinions.

(Believe me, I have the big guns' sets already -- Kempff, Brendel, Arrau, Barenboim, Fischer, Gilels, Pollini, Gulda, Lupu).

*sigh*

81I11Jnu8ZL._SL1417_.jpg

There is one old "big gun" missing, Yves Nat. A sensational, very idiomatic Beethoven, superbly recorded too by the legendary Andre Charlin.

Dec 13, 2015 at 7:09 AM Post #7,091 of 9,368

A friend gave me the Flac for Brautigam's Mozart sonatas. I haven't heard his Beeth yet, but I think he uses a fortepiano for them. A deal-breaker, for me, as I prefer a modern for Beeth's late sonatas especially.

Just bought Anton Kuerti's disc of sonatas 30-32. I've always admired his Beethoven.

Wasn't a deal breaker for Beethoven :wink:

Dec 13, 2015 at 7:48 AM Post #7,093 of 9,368
  So I've realized that my solo piano repertoire is embarrassingly small. Can anyone recommend anything to remedy this? I'm thinking things such as Steinway Legends and such. 

http://www.amazon.ca/Piano-111-40-CD-Set/dp/B00S5MQQT4/ref=sr_1_1?s=music&ie=UTF8&qid=1450010916&sr=1-1&keywords=piano+111

Wasn't a deal breaker for Beethoven :wink:

Beethoven had no choice. We do.
cool.gif

Dec 13, 2015 at 8:19 AM Post #7,094 of 9,368

http://www.amazon.ca/Piano-111-40-CD-Set/dp/B00S5MQQT4/ref=sr_1_1?s=music&ie=UTF8&qid=1450010916&sr=1-1&keywords=piano+111

Beethoven had no choice. We do.
cool.gif

Hell he didn't: he could've written the motherf***ers for the harpsichord. 
biggrin.gif

I'll echo Quinto that not all fortepianos are created equal. For instance, the one Staier used for his Diabelli Vars. didn't bother me at all. The one Levin used for his WAM concertos, on the other hand, was just a bit too plunky for me. Though I must say the same kind of instrument works well for his recording of the first 3 WAM sonatas, since it just kinda works with the source material.

Dec 13, 2015 at 8:29 AM Post #7,095 of 9,368
  Could be my next (last?) Beeth box:

81VYuLLymfL._SL1500_.jpg

Tjeezz costs more then Annie Fischer
blink.gif
I will give her some time to sink in, she sure as hell deserves that. I still can't get over what I'm hearing..I'll keep an eye on Kuerti in the mean time, seems an interesting character..
rolleyes.gif

I'm gonna check out Cleveland Quartet, hack, I only have 15 or so complete Beethoven SQ,  I'm an addict
biggrin.gif

Users who are viewing this thread

Back