Best classical recordings...ever!
Dec 12, 2015 at 2:04 PM Post #7,066 of 9,368
  Or the proliferation of easily accessible music with catchy chord sequences. Classical music like great novels, needs effort form the listener to 'get into it' so to speak. Likewise many young people prefer reading short entertaining 'pieces' on Facebook rather than indulge in educational books. 

I still think it just takes a modicum of exposure to hook at least a few younguns on this stuff. A semester here and there of music/art/theatre history/theory/appreciation, an active choir/orchestra/band. It didn't take much grand posturing to get me interested in orchestra: all it took was hearing and seeing instruments up close one time at the 4th grade signups for orchestra. I worry that all this waving-arms-in-the-air people are doing about STEM fields (here in the States, at least), is missing the bigger picture, and could be hurtful if it means ditching the arts (b/c of course sports would never get f'ed with).

Dec 12, 2015 at 3:01 PM Post #7,067 of 9,368
As far as recordings, which one would you buy first gentlemen?
a) Takács Beethoven
b) Alexander Beethoven

Any anyone happen to know anywhere where the former might be acquired as a full set, rather than the 3-part piecemeal?

Dec 12, 2015 at 4:00 PM Post #7,068 of 9,368
I believe it's just an exposure and prejudice type of thing. With the younger generation (myself included), you usually only get exposed to popular music and generally what your friends listen to (top 40, rap, rock, etc.). Classical (and jazz) are simply out of the picture because no one really listens to it to begin with, and thus you aren't exposed to it.

And I don't know how prevalent it still is, but I do believe there is a slight prejudice against listening to classical music when you are young. Something about being seen as weird/stuffy/boring/hipster or whatever. Kids can be silly and vicious. So with that in mind, younger people stay away from classical, and that sentiment stays with them even after they grow older.

And finally, attention span seems to be decreasing with the younger generation. I know plenty of my friends and peers who won't even sit through a 5 minute youtube video because it's simply too long and they want immediate gratification (which is probably why Vine videos got so popular). With most classical pieces being at least 20 minutes long, they know it's going to take too long, and stay away purely on that judgement.

Dec 12, 2015 at 4:43 PM Post #7,069 of 9,368
a) Takács Beethoven
b) Alexander Beethoven

Any anyone happen to know anywhere where the former might be acquired as a full set, rather than the 3-part piecemeal?

Alban Berg Quartet beethoven is nice :)     ​

Dec 12, 2015 at 4:50 PM Post #7,071 of 9,368
a) Takács Beethoven
b) Alexander Beethoven

Personally I would buy Alexander first, but Takács right after
wink.gif
  to my knowledge the Takács has no full set available..

Dec 12, 2015 at 5:14 PM Post #7,072 of 9,368
The new Alexander set recently became available on stream, so finally got a chance to listen. Lovely performance and recording.
But not too familiar with either of Alexanders' sets or the Takács'.

RRod would be interested to hear whose set you enjoy?

------

Been streaming the Suske Quartett's Beethoven and it will be my next purchase.

Re: ABQ's Beethoven, I bought it as a xmas present for my father ... But I think I subconsciously bought it for myself (oops) ... anyway I just finished ripping it this afternoon before I wrap it up :)

Dec 12, 2015 at 5:25 PM Post #7,073 of 9,368
a) Takács Beethoven
b) Alexander Beethoven

Between these two, do b. The Takacs sounded a bit too self-conscious, to me.

The sets I've enjoyed and own:
- Quartetto Italiano
- Prazak
- Alban Berg
- Tokyo (1990s cycle)
-Gewandhaus Leipzig

Dec 12, 2015 at 5:26 PM Post #7,074 of 9,368

Re: ABQ's Beethoven, I bought it as a xmas present for my father ... But I think I subconsciously bought it for myself (oops) ... anyway I just finished ripping it this afternoon before I wrap it up :)

gs1000.gif

beerchug.gif

(I rip my CDs before selling them on CAM)

Dec 12, 2015 at 6:13 PM Post #7,075 of 9,368
I'm hungry for yet another Beeth piano sonata set.

Which one:

a. Ashkenazy
b. HJ Lim

I'm leaning to Lim, as I've never heard her, she's young, and I want some hopefully rebooted LvB from young hands. But I need your opinions.

(Believe me, I have the big guns' sets already -- Kempff, Brendel, Arrau, Barenboim, Fischer, Gilels, Pollini, Gulda, Lupu).

*sigh*

81I11Jnu8ZL._SL1417_.jpg

Dec 12, 2015 at 6:15 PM Post #7,076 of 9,368
Lindsays Quartet is great as well for Beethoven, nice and gutsy.. Borodin is a bit bland for me
  I'm hungry for yet another Beeth piano sonata set.

Which one:

a. Ashkenazy
b. HJ Lim

I'm leaning to Lim, as I've never heard her, she's young, and I want some hopefully rebooted LvB from young hands. But I need your opinions.

(Believe me, I have the big guns' sets already -- Kempff, Brendel, Arrau, Barenboim, Fischer, Gilels, Pollini, Gulda, Lupu).

*sigh*

81I11Jnu8ZL._SL1417_.jpg

don't like her Beethoven myself from what I remember, Ashkenazy is nice..I'm loving my Annie Fischer recordings right now

Dec 12, 2015 at 6:23 PM Post #7,077 of 9,368
 Ashkenazy is nice..I'm loving my Annie Fischer recordings right now

Did you buy the CD box set of Fischer? It's damn expensive on Amazon resellers. Much cheaper on iTunes. I have several from the other box of Fischer's Complete London Studio Recordings.  Her Schubert D960 and Mozzie Pf Ctos are excellent as well.

81bjlPhlcWL._SL1488_.jpg

Dec 12, 2015 at 6:52 PM Post #7,079 of 9,368

Did you buy the CD box set of Fischer? It's damn expensive on Amazon resellers. Much cheaper on iTunes. I have several from the other box of Fischer's Complete London Studio Recordings.  Her Schubert D960 and Mozzie Pf Ctos are excellent as well.

Yup I bought the cd box, damn expensive indeed. but so glad I did, it is very special..I love it to bits and prefer it above lots of other great interpretations  have nothing else of her yet,

I'm sure gonna check her Schubert and stuff, first I need more Schubert from Arrau
biggrin.gif

Dec 12, 2015 at 6:56 PM Post #7,080 of 9,368
  Lindsays Quartet is great as well for Beethoven, nice and gutsy.. Borodin is a bit bland for me

Have quite a few of the late qts from Lindsays.
The Cleveland does the LvB qts very well, and the sound quality on their discs is exceptional.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back