Best classical recordings...ever!
Sep 30, 2015 at 8:04 PM Post #6,286 of 9,368

Similar experiences have taught me to fear the fearful talons masked by the velvety paws!  
wink_face.gif

Leo

Well expressed. Velvety paws...I like that.

Sep 30, 2015 at 9:31 PM Post #6,287 of 9,368
Re Schiff's Mozart: I was so horrified by his Schubert (hesitancies piled atop of hesitancies) that I haven't dare try him in anything else.

Speaking of Schubert, yesterday I received the Leipziger Streichquartett's big Schubert box (9 CDs, MDG label), so that's what I'll be doing over the next few days.... :)

Sep 30, 2015 at 11:42 PM Post #6,288 of 9,368
Re Schiff's Mozart: I was so horrified by his Schubert (hesitancies piled atop of hesitancies) that I haven't dare try him in anything else.

Speaking of Schubert, yesterday I received the Leipziger Streichquartett's big Schubert box (9 CDs, MDG label), so that's what I'll be doing over the next few days....
smily_headphones1.gif

Good stuff, enjoy the set!

Leipzig bands/groups always seem to produce quality renditions. I especially like their Beeth str quarts, and of course, the Beeth symph cycle with Chailly. I shall check out their Schubert box. My late nights have been filled with D.960, which is sublime.

Schiff: His Beeth Pf Ctos with Haitink/Staatsk Dresden are very good, imo. Using LvB's cadenzas.
His Mozart solo sonata box set is also very good, although his middle sonatas are a bit more enjoyable than the other later ones. His Schubert, for whatever reasons, don't stand up to Pollini and Brendel. And the Bosendorfer Schiff used for Schubert sounded distant (recessed?) and thin to my ears; maybe the miking had something to do with this.

Oct 1, 2015 at 7:11 AM Post #6,289 of 9,368
A stupendously good price for an excellent set.

http://www.amazon.ca/Beethoven-String-Quartets-Ludwig-van/dp/B00015T1MW/ref=sr_1_30?s=music&ie=UTF8&qid=1443697800&sr=1-30&keywords=beethoven+box
81xZYDNMzwL._SL1500_.jpg

Oct 1, 2015 at 3:57 PM Post #6,291 of 9,368
Guys, the only thing I know about cycles, I had to learn the hard way! but I am still learning!!!

I am afraid I will have to leave it to my esteemed colleagues to answer this question.

Oct 1, 2015 at 6:27 PM Post #6,292 of 9,368

Where does Abbado's VPO Beethoven cycle rank?

51z%2Bgr0OC2L.jpg

Like most other Abbado's stuff I find this set good, nothing exceptional.

Been listening to Grainger piano pieces, masterful yet light hearted. Considering learning the in dahomey, the rhythm and melodies are so irresistible!

Oct 1, 2015 at 7:48 PM Post #6,296 of 9,368
  My next Beeth cycle: Vanska/Minnesota. Very well-received, apparently.

He's a bit slower than Järvi or Chailly, and to me almost borders on caution. Still some good stuff; his 6th is one of my faves and his 9th is pretty good too. Over here I just got in Bertini's Mahler and have Chailly on the way 
basshead.gif

Oct 1, 2015 at 8:09 PM Post #6,297 of 9,368

He's a bit slower than Järvi or Chailly, and to me almost borders on caution. Still some good stuff; his 6th is one of my faves and his 9th is pretty good too. Over here I just got in Bertini's Mahler and have Chailly on the way 
basshead.gif

The Bertini Mahler box arrived last week here. I've only listened to the #1 and #5 so far, on floor system. Astounding. The clarity and imaging are superb on my system. I must say, I've liked Bernstein (VPO and NYPhil), Haitink, and some of Karajan. Fingers crossed, I must now add Bertini to this bunch, maybe even as lofty as #2 (beside Bern.). What a sleeper set so far.

Oct 1, 2015 at 10:06 PM Post #6,298 of 9,368
I'll see/listen to Mahler #2 for the first time live next month at Carnegie Hall. Excited
biggrin.gif

Performers

1. Israel Philharmonic Orchestra
    Zubin Mehta, Music Director
    Kristin Lewis, Soprano
    Michelle DeYoung, Mezzo-Soprano
    MasterVoices

Program

1. MAHLER Symphony No. 2, "Resurrection"

Users who are viewing this thread

Back