Best classical recordings...ever!
Oct 2, 2015 at 4:23 PM Post #6,316 of 9,368
When it comes to the Missa Solemnis I steer away from Karajan, my recommendations are Klemperer for those who seek for grandeur

or Herreweghe for the hipsters

I have both of the above, they are superb. The Karajan is mainly for the vocal team of Wunderlich, Ludwig, et al., which was wonderful.

It's a superior piece, better than Mozzie's Requiem. But gets far less fame than the Requiem. Go figure.

beerchug.gif

Oct 2, 2015 at 5:25 PM Post #6,318 of 9,368

When it comes to the Missa Solemnis I steer away from Karajan, my recommendations are Klemperer for those who seek for grandeur

or Herreweghe for the hipsters

I have both of the above, they are superb. The Karajan is mainly for the vocal team of Wunderlich, Ludwig, et al., which was wonderful.

It's a superior piece, better than Mozzie's Requiem. But gets far less fame than the Requiem. Go figure.

beerchug.gif

I wholeheartedly agree. LvB spent 8 years of his life composing the Missa Solemnis  and considered it his masterpiece, his greatest achievement. It is certainly a far greater conception than the Mozart Requiem. But not as easily accessible.  re my former post on Callas, Garanca and great art.  
beerchug.gif

Oct 2, 2015 at 5:27 PM Post #6,319 of 9,368
  I have Karajan's Missa Solemnis1966 and 1985 recordings. 
beerchug.gif

The '66 with BPO is better than his 85 with the VPO, imo. But not by that much.
And still not as good as Klemperer and Herreweghe imo.

Also try Mozart's Missa Solemnis with Barbara Bonney/Harnoncourt, one of my favorite sopranos for Mozart.

And Mozart's Requiem with Bonney/Gardiner:

81l4O2vUTjL._SX355_.jpg

Oct 2, 2015 at 5:32 PM Post #6,320 of 9,368

I wholeheartedly agree. LvB spent 8 years of his life composing the Missa Solemnis  and considered it his masterpiece, his greatest achievement. It is certainly a far greater conception than the Mozart Requiem. But not as easily accessible.  re my former post on Callas, Garanca and great art.  
beerchug.gif

What was LvB's direct quotation?
"From The Heart, To The Heart"? 

Amazing.

Oct 2, 2015 at 5:33 PM Post #6,321 of 9,368

Amazing.

From wiki:

Dedication[edit]

The work was dedicated to Archduke Rudolf of Austria, archbishop of Olomouc, Beethoven's foremost patron as well as pupil and friend. The copy presented to Rudolf was inscribed "Von Herzen—Möge es wieder—Zu Herzen gehn!"[2] ("From the heart – may it return to the heart!") [3]

Oct 2, 2015 at 5:37 PM Post #6,322 of 9,368

beerchug.gif

Amazing.

Indeed

This is supposedly from Klemperer's recording

It could be. 

Oct 2, 2015 at 5:43 PM Post #6,323 of 9,368
I'm ripping a CD of Fricsay's Ninth Symph BPO (LvB) on DG as I write this. I think LvB set aside the 9th for an extraordinarily LONG period of time before finishing it. Might be an unmatched time "record" actually, I don't know of any other classical symphony that was left "pregnant" for such a long time as his 9th.

Oct 2, 2015 at 5:58 PM Post #6,325 of 9,368
  I have always prefered Mozart's C-minor mass to "his" requiem.

His "Grosse Messe"  indeed.  Solti/VPO/Pape, Von Otter.

6698623.jpg

Do his Kronungsmesse. Really spirited. My favs are Levine/BPO, and Pinnock with Bonney.

4358532.jpg

61%2Bzbn-IWXL._SY355_.jpg

I'm outta here for the weekend. Need to revise a manuscript to re-submit Monday, to the Journal of Physiology (London).

cheerio and happy listening!

Oct 2, 2015 at 6:55 PM Post #6,326 of 9,368

His "Grosse Messe"  indeed.  Solti/VPO/Pape, Von Otter.

6698623.jpg

Do his Kronungsmesse. Really spirited. My favs are Levine/BPO, and Pinnock with Bonney.

4358532.jpg

61%2Bzbn-IWXL._SY355_.jpg

I'm outta here for the weekend. Need to revise a manuscript to re-submit Monday, to the Journal of Physiology (London).

cheerio and happy listening!

@CanadianMaestro
You said you listen to garanca's meditations often, the track gomez's ave maria, around 1:02-1:04 there's like an audible artefact sounding like a random click (unlike just background noise), do you know what that is? I thought it was a rip error, but it seems present elsewhere I looked....

Oct 2, 2015 at 7:10 PM Post #6,327 of 9,368

@CanadianMaestro
You said you listen to garanca's meditations often, the track gomez's ave maria, around 1:02-1:04 there's like an audible artefact sounding like a random click (unlike just background noise), do you know what that is? I thought it was a rip error, but it seems present elsewhere I looked....

I have that now and then. If it really annoys me I'll try to fix it in something like Audacity. I've never looked into what the actual causes are. I'd assume that a recording engineer would try to remove such obvious artifacts, so sometimes I wonder if it's a CD manufacturing issue.

Oct 3, 2015 at 2:57 AM Post #6,329 of 9,368
I have that now and then. If it really annoys me I'll try to fix it in something like Audacity. I've never looked into what the actual causes are. I'd assume that a recording engineer would try to remove such obvious artifacts, so sometimes I wonder if it's a CD manufacturing issue.

I don't get how they leave (inclusive of other recordings) such obvious artefacts, do they never listen to it one final time to check??!!!

@canadianmaestro, thank you for checking.... I checked online samples too, I seem to have the same issue everywhere. Lucky you!!!!

Oct 3, 2015 at 5:06 AM Post #6,330 of 9,368
I don't get how they leave (inclusive of other recordings) such obvious artefacts, do they never listen to it one final time to check??!!!

@canadianmaestro, thank you for checking.... I checked online samples too, I seem to have the same issue everywhere. Lucky you!!!!

Seems like not. Here's one where I noticed a little tick from the CD rip. I decided to download the mp3 version from the site to verify (assuming they made the mp3 from their internal PCM file). Here's what I found:

And this exact track won a Grammy for best soloist performance with orchestra. And the sound is superb except for two blips like this about ¼s apart. 
frown.gif

Users who are viewing this thread

Back