Best classical recordings...ever!
Oct 3, 2015 at 6:28 AM Post #6,331 of 9,368

Seems like not. Here's one where I noticed a little tick from the CD rip. I decided to download the mp3 version from the site to verify (assuming they made the mp3 from their internal PCM file). Here's what I found:

And this exact track won a Grammy for best soloist performance with orchestra. And the sound is superb except for two blips like this about ¼s apart. 
frown.gif

I don't know why but as of late these blips have become really noticeable whenever I am listening to music. There are a lot of these in weissenberg's recordings too, maybe left over from splicing!

Oct 3, 2015 at 12:06 PM Post #6,333 of 9,368
 Everything sounds refreshing and engaging. He uses pedals sparingly, and his tempi is on the fast side, but instead of sounding quirky, his interpretation is spirited, purposeful, and unique

Oct 3, 2015 at 1:59 PM Post #6,338 of 9,368

Just ordered this cd box, any opinions on Gulda's Mozart?

His Beethoven sonatas are v.g.  Mozart Ctos -- The earlier concertos (15-19 or so) are more engaging, imo.

Curzon did some beautiful Moz Ctos with Britten/Kertesz conducting the ECO/LSO.

Oct 3, 2015 at 2:30 PM Post #6,340 of 9,368
I have always liked Alfred Brendel's Beethoven Piano Sonatas, so I have just ordered his complete Beethoven's Piano Sonatas and Concertos, Decca recordings from Amazon.ca for $48. He is not everyone's cup of tea, but I have always liked his straight-up playing.

Leo

Oct 3, 2015 at 2:40 PM Post #6,341 of 9,368
  I have always liked Alfred Brendel's Beethoven Piano Sonatas, so I have just ordered his complete Beethoven's Piano Sonatas and Concertos, Decca recordings from Amazon.ca for $48. He is not everyone's cup of tea, but I have always liked his straight-up playing.

Leo

Thumbs up on Brendel's Beethoven. Kempff too, for the sonatas. Not for the concertos imo.

Oct 4, 2015 at 9:24 AM Post #6,345 of 9,368

He uses a modern piano, so thumbs up for that. I can't stand those Hammerklaviers, harpsichords and what not.

I think most of the Beeth sonata sets on the market use moderns, no?

Anyways, I may go for Lewis'  Schubert late sonatas. I have far too many Beeth sets than I can juggle, and I'm a "traditionalist", preferring Brendel, Kempff, Arrau, and Gilels. The only current gen pianist I've heard do the late sonatas is Levit, and I liked him.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back