Best classical recordings...ever!
Sep 19, 2015 at 8:25 AM Post #6,002 of 9,368

Just arrived from Italy
biggrin.gif

I look forward to your impressions.

Sep 20, 2015 at 5:07 PM Post #6,005 of 9,368

I look forward to your impressions.

First impression, I listened to some Beethoven, Mozart sonatas and partita 2 by J.S. Bach and so far so very good!

This remaster job is a pleasant surprise, already good recordings from the early seventies sound very modern now in every way, and thet piano sound is gorgeous..

It has a wonderful clearity, openess in the treble without any signs of harshness..detail is noticeable better as well..

I'm pretty sure I will never need another remaster of Goulds work, I think they did a splendid job, I'm impressed!

- I do have a great new dac so take this with some salt hehe..
biggrin.gif
-

Sep 20, 2015 at 6:03 PM Post #6,007 of 9,368
  First impression, I listened to some Beethoven, Mozart sonatas and partita 2 by J.S. Bach and so far so very good!

This remaster job is a pleasant surprise, already good recordings from the early seventies sound very modern now in every way, and thet piano sound is gorgeous..

It has a wonderful clearity, openess in the treble without any signs of harshness..detail is noticeable better as well..

I'm pretty sure I will never need another remaster of Goulds work, I think they did a splendid job, I'm impressed!

- I do have a great new dac so take this with some salt hehe..
biggrin.gif
-

Which HP are you using to listen? Or did you try also playback on a floor system? 
beerchug.gif

Sep 20, 2015 at 9:55 PM Post #6,008 of 9,368
The hair increases orchestral attention.
As Rattle's hair falls, Dudamel's rises....

Anda: His DG set of Mozart Concertos with his Camerata Mozarteum Salzburger is probably the one I listen to the most. On CD, as well as on LP.
Anda was my first and very effective encounter with the Mozart concertos, but when I finally got the complete set I was disappointed by how often he rushed the slow movements, and also the old sound. An exception to this is the slow mvt of the 9th, which is almost operatic in its drama and breadth.

Mendelssohn String Quintets

There is a lot of great music in these two works, but unfortunately they are both stymied by vapid, unmemorable finales. The finale of the 2nd admittedly begins with some engaging themes, but these quickly disappear into emphatic but banal figuration up and down the scales. This is surprising given the quality of Mendelssohn's string quartets, but for some reason, he allows the banality of some of his lesser works to ultimately dominate here.

My first encounter with these works was the Sharon Quartet, who have been used a lot by Brilliant to fill out their repertoire. Generally their performances are proficient but workmanlike, but they are very good here, my only quibble being with the first violin's occasionally dominating vibrato.
I also have the Fine Arts Quartet on Naxos; they are good too, but the performance is surprisingly old-world - the sound is thick and vibrato-heavy, with a fair bit of swooning. It's almost like listening to the old Busch Quartet or some such.
Finally, I have ordered the recent recording by the Mandelring Quartet. I generally find their treatment of music a bit too rough-and-ready, but from the samples I've heard their guest violist seems to have smoothed some of those rough edges, at least temporarily. After this disc arrives I will probably have to call a halt for a while.
_

Sep 20, 2015 at 10:27 PM Post #6,009 of 9,368
I also have the Fine Arts Quartet on Naxos; they are good too, but the performance is surprisingly old-world - the sound is thick and vibrato-heavy, with a fair bit of swooning. It's almost like listening to the old Busch Quartet or some such.

I have a few of the Busch Quartet's Beethoven Quartets, I think the late ones. I just can't listen to them. Found them too dense. I don't grasp the fuss about them being the "reference" for future groups.

Sep 20, 2015 at 10:31 PM Post #6,010 of 9,368
  I have a few of the Busch Quartet's Beethoven Quartets, I think the late ones. I just can't listen to them. Found them too dense. I don't grasp the fuss about them being the "reference" for future groups.

I prefer Milwaukee's Best Beethoven Quartets myself 
beerchug.gif

Sep 21, 2015 at 1:21 AM Post #6,011 of 9,368
Hey guys,

Just found this thread. Gonna share some of my favourites recordings as of late. I'm a big softie for Romantic era stuff.

1. Brahms/Tchaikovsky Violin Concertos; Heifetz, Reiner, CSO
2. Brahms Violin/Double Concertos; Fischer, Moller-Schott, Kreizberg, NPO Amsterdam
3. Brahms Symphony no. 4; Kleiber, Weiner
4. Brahms Piano Concertos 1 & 2; Fleisher/Szell
5. Chopin Nocturnes; Rubinstein (1965 recording, or Volume 49 from the collection)
6. Chopin Etudes; Pollini
7. Tchaikovsky Symphony no. 6; Mravinsky/Leningrad Philharmonic
8. Grieg/Schumann Piano Concertos; Andsnes, Jansons, Berlin PO
9. Rachmaninov Piano Concerto 3 & Tchaikovsky Piano Concerto 1; Argerich, Chailly, Berlin Philharmonic
10. Mendelssohn/Tchaikovsky Violin Concertos; Steinbacher, Dutoit
11. Mendelssohn Piano Concertos; Hough, Foster

Actually, that was way harder than I thought, I have way more to share, but the list will get cluttered. I need to read through the past 400 threads for new albums to get.

Happy listening, friends.

Sep 21, 2015 at 2:27 AM Post #6,012 of 9,368
Hey guys,

Just found this thread. Gonna share some of my favourites recordings as of late. I'm a big softie for Romantic era stuff.

1. Brahms/Tchaikovsky Violin Concertos; Heifetz, Reiner, CSO
2. Brahms Violin/Double Concertos; Fischer, Moller-Schott, Kreizberg, NPO Amsterdam
4. Brahms Piano Concertos 1 & 2; Fleisher/Szell
5. Chopin Nocturnes; Rubinstein (1965 recording, or Volume 49 from the collection)
6. Chopin Etudes; Pollini
7. Tchaikovsky Symphony no. 6; Mravinsky/Leningrad Philharmonic
8. Grieg/Schumann Piano Concertos; Andsnes, Jansons, Berlin PO
9. Rachmaninov Piano Concerto 3 & Tchaikovsky Piano Concerto 1; Argerich, Chailly, Berlin Philharmonic
10. Mendelssohn/Tchaikovsky Violin Concertos; Steinbacher, Dutoit
11. Mendelssohn Piano Concertos; Hough, Foster

Actually, that was way harder than I thought, I have way more to share, but the list will get cluttered. I need to read through the past 400 threads for new albums to get.

Happy listening, friends.

Welcome!

I can get on board with a number of those, especially all the Fleisher/Szell collaborations and Rubinstein's Chopin.

My favorite Chopin Etudes is actually Earl Wild's, not a guy generally associated with Chopin. But don't miss Hofmann's live performance of the Butterfly Etude. Here's a taste:

[VIDEO]https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=5SnCs4KZ4JI[/VIDEO]

I've never really understood the extravagant praise for Kleiber's Brahms 4th. It's not actively bad, but very constrained and unexpressive. Likewise, Mravinsky's Tchaikovsky.

Sep 21, 2015 at 5:01 AM Post #6,014 of 9,368

You mean Reiner, right? An excellent recording, but there are better ones. A friend drew my attention years ago to the recording by Igor Markevitch and the Orchestre Lamoureux on DG. Not exactly an obvious choice for austro-german repertoire, but they play magnificently-that finale, simply amazing. Besides, Brahms himself said once "Only the French understand my music, the Germans play it much too heavily"

Users who are viewing this thread

Back