Best classical recordings...ever!
Sep 21, 2015 at 6:34 AM Post #6,017 of 9,368
Welcome!

I can get on board with a number of those, especially all the Fleisher/Szell collaborations and Rubinstein's Chopin.

My favorite Chopin Etudes is actually Earl Wild's, not a guy generally associated with Chopin. But don't miss Hofmann's live performance of the Butterfly Etude. Here's a taste:

I've never really understood the extravagant praise for Kleiber's Brahms 4th. It's not actively bad, but very constrained and unexpressive. Likewise, Mravinsky's Tchaikovsky.

Earl Wild has some great rachmaninoff
and hofmann's technique is astonishing.

Sep 21, 2015 at 6:58 AM Post #6,018 of 9,368
  I thought you guys might like this one.

You know, Lisitsa was banned from performing in Toronto last summer. She had expressed online her views re. the Ukrainian conflict (she's pro-Uk, anti pro-Putin).

Edit: My bad. Should read "pro-Putin", Corrected).

Sep 21, 2015 at 7:08 AM Post #6,019 of 9,368

You know, Lisitsa was banned from performing in Toronto last summer. She had expressed online her views re. the Ukrainian conflict (she's pro-Uk, anti-Putin).

You got that the wrong way around
biggrin.gif

Sep 21, 2015 at 8:11 AM Post #6,024 of 9,368
Nice thick accent.  She "loves" Rachman. Said so.
Listen to how Rachman himself played them. I think there are some recs of these with him at the keyboard.

Sep 21, 2015 at 8:29 AM Post #6,027 of 9,368
I'm thinking of getting Pires/Mozart Piano Sonatas. I have Uchida, Eschenbach, Schiff. Klien is coming too.
Any thoughts?  I really enjoyed Pires' Chopin Nocturnes and Mozart Ctos.
Will also get her Schubert D.960. Have ot heard her Schubert yet.

cheers

Sep 21, 2015 at 9:50 AM Post #6,028 of 9,368
  Her rachmaninoff is splashy, rushed and just not at her best... It was exciting the first time I heard it, but I found it quite one dimensional.

I've a few versions of the Rach but i really like this myself, its really full of life for me.

I suppose beauty is in thew ear of the beholder etc

Users who are viewing this thread

Back