Best classical recordings...ever!
Sep 17, 2015 at 10:24 AM Post #5,971 of 9,368

I've been to Balboa twice in the past. Excellent Art Museum there, but never knew there was a pipe organ! Was it recently installed, and what was the organist playing when you heard her?

Oh, it celebrated 100 years in 2015. Dr. Carol Williams is excellent. I used to take my girlfriend, then wife, then kids every Sunday I could. I've heard quite a few selections, but I don't think I actually know any names except the tune from Phantom of the Opera.

Sep 17, 2015 at 11:57 AM Post #5,972 of 9,368
^^ I would expect that a huge cavernous hall like the Royal Albert would not be optimal acoustically, for organ performance. I prefer a church or cathedral, or a smaller hall.

The royal Albert hall is weird for musicians as there is no feedback as the sound all disperses out.

I like the whole echo effect in cathedrals but I find that it has a tendency tosmudge everything

They are friends but don't think they are related! (richard and david)

Sep 17, 2015 at 9:44 PM Post #5,974 of 9,368
After some digging around I managed to find it.

I sang here as a chorister a long time ago and this was mind boggling. The Tokyo Metropolitan Art Space has three different organs built essentially on giant turn tables. It swivels around during intermission depending on the need. :eek:

Here is an atmospheric photo taken from mid-hall showing what I assume is the French Romantic organ facade. The Art Nouveau design is so striking, I can't help thinking it might distract from the music!

http://pertwee.photoshelter.com/image/I0000Xp3wY7NW810
_

Sep 18, 2015 at 8:27 AM Post #5,975 of 9,368
Here is an atmospheric photo taken from mid-hall showing what I assume is the French Romantic organ facade. The Art Nouveau design is so striking, I can't help thinking it might distract from the music!

_

Beautiful. The rest of the hall looks good and sparse of ornate decoration. Lets the listener focus on the orch and choir -- and music.

Sep 18, 2015 at 8:35 AM Post #5,976 of 9,368

_

It's quite discreetly and beautifully done. As well as the baroque facade.

A monster of a performance of the liszt b minor sonata.

Sep 18, 2015 at 8:39 AM Post #5,977 of 9,368

It's quite discreetly and beautifully done. As well as the baroque facade.

A monster of a performance of the liszt b minor sonata.

I ordered this last week from Amazon.ca.

Looking forward to hearing it.

Sep 18, 2015 at 8:40 AM Post #5,978 of 9,368
I'm contemplating this set. Really good value price. 12 CDs

Haydn Symphs bt Bernstein. Paris and London Symphs, with Creation etc. Huge selection.

http://www.amazon.ca/gp/product/B001TKK39S?psc=1&redirect=true&ref_=ox_sc_act_title_2&smid=A33R5U81B7E4OG

Sep 18, 2015 at 8:40 AM Post #5,979 of 9,368

Gustavo Dudamel : Dvorak - Symphony no. 9 - 4th movement - Allegro con fuoco

His full 9th will be second half of a concert I will be hanging out at tonight - there is a bit of a hair thing going on at the start of this video - thought you guys might be amused!

Sep 18, 2015 at 8:41 AM Post #5,980 of 9,368

His full 9th will be second half of a concert I will be hanging out at tonight - there is a bit of a hair thing going on at the start of this video - thought you guys might be amused!

The hair increases orchestral attention.

Sep 18, 2015 at 8:51 AM Post #5,981 of 9,368
Sep 18, 2015 at 10:21 AM Post #5,982 of 9,368

Another conductor with the hair thing is Riccardo Muti. His is straight, not curly fluffy like Dudamel. But still a bit distracting.

For the first few bars of that Dudamel video above, I thought he was doing the theme from Jaws.

Sep 18, 2015 at 10:50 AM Post #5,983 of 9,368

Another conductor with the hair thing is Riccardo Muti. His is straight, not curly fluffy like Dudamel. But still a bit distracting.

For the first few bars of that Dudamel video above, I thought he was doing the theme from Jaws.

Did you guys see the Popes face at the end - I wonder what he was thinking??? maybe!
angry_face.gif
etysmile.gif

Sep 18, 2015 at 11:36 AM Post #5,985 of 9,368
Don't know why, but the Grieg Pf Cto doesn't get a lot of attention like Mozart etc. I love Perahia's Grieg with Davis/Bav Radio. My fav of that piece.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back