Best classical recordings...ever!
Aug 8, 2014 at 4:17 AM Post #2,071 of 9,368
Received new CDs today, and am currently listening to the Mozart quintets played by the Amadeus Q on DG. They have more appropriate character than Grumiaux (who I find bland), which is why I bought this set, but they are too often too fast in the slow mvts for my taste. I guess next up will be the old Fine Arts set (with Tursi on viola). $$$

Maybe I should try those. I found the Grumiaux to be too homogenous or blended--I'm aware that some prefer that. Emerson is like that in general too, though less bland. I see nothing all that wrong with the Griller but I'm sure there are better. I should probably try Quartetto Italiano, as I'm really affected by their Schubert; but Mozart and Schubert have different requirements so I might be disappointed.

Aug 8, 2014 at 7:58 AM Post #2,073 of 9,368
Received new CDs today, and am currently listening to the Mozart quintets played by the Amadeus Q on DG. They have more appropriate character than Grumiaux (who I find bland), which is why I bought this set, but they are too often too fast in the slow mvts for my taste. I guess next up will be the old Fine Arts set (with Tursi on viola). $$$

Maybe I should try those. I found the Grumiaux to be too homogenous or blended--I'm aware that some prefer that. Emerson is like that in general too, though less bland. I see nothing all that wrong with the Griller but I'm sure there are better. I should probably try Quartetto Italiano, as I'm really affected by their Schubert; but Mozart and Schubert have different requirements so I might be disappointed.

Yes, the reason I got the Amadeus set is I heard another performance of theirs which just had great old-world character (this was from the mid-60s, I think - sadly, I don't remember what they were playing).
Did the Italianos do the quintets? Maybe it's on Testament. I loved their Mozart quartets, but found their Schubert sometimes verged on being too heavy-handed, which is a bit weird as you might expect it to be the other way around (great Death & Maiden though). Maybe I've been imprinted too strongly by other performances. But I like the gravitas they brought to Mozart's earlier quartets. I don't care if it's "inappropriate"!
I first heard the quintets in the recording by the Orlando Quartet, originally on BIS, rereleased by Brilliant. I did like their interpretations, but the sound is too reverby, and there's a low-level sourness to their intonation which makes sustained listening a bit painful.

Today I also received a 2-CD set of Zukerman playing the Schubert sonatas etc plus the Arpegionne sonata on viola (bought because I was impressed by his Mozart sonatas). This is one of those things where I'm almost too afraid to listen, I've worked up such expectations. I guess I'll save it for when I'm a bit more mellow (wine may help).

Aug 8, 2014 at 8:20 AM Post #2,074 of 9,368
Yeah, you're right; I got mixed up. They never did the quintets. I'll fish around youtube and see what sounds good.

Aug 8, 2014 at 9:14 AM Post #2,075 of 9,368

This is special

Oh wow the Italian concerto on this record is truly wonderful
smily_headphones1.gif

Aug 10, 2014 at 2:35 PM Post #2,078 of 9,368
Tippett's Piano Concerto and what I think is the best recording. A beautiful work and an absolute treasure of mine! 

Aug 13, 2014 at 5:42 PM Post #2,080 of 9,368
A little special in the combination of classical Spanish and Japanese music and instruments (and voices) but if you like the restraint Japanese style flute music, then this is a first rate experience. The recording quality is breathtaking. The individual tones seem to float through the performing space, stunning ! The only critique I could think of - it only lasts 1hour
wink.gif

Hispania & Japan Dialogues
Jordi Savall
61h1gUOqhPL.jpg

Samples here :
http://www.amazon.com/Hispania-Japan-Dialogues-Hesperion-XXI/dp/B0055U9LAA

Aug 13, 2014 at 9:15 PM Post #2,081 of 9,368
Originally Posted by SunTanScanMan /img/forum/go_quote.gif
But I did take a break with some Vivaldi I discovered by accident.

All the music on this recording is new to me, but the sound quality is remarkable, not to mention the music. 
So much great music, so little time.
smily_headphones1.gif
 - I love this thread 
beerchug.gif

Thanks for that recommendation above which made me discover Jordi Savall and the Hispanic Japanese Dialogue I posted before.
Most likely my personal discovery of the year.

Aug 14, 2014 at 2:36 PM Post #2,084 of 9,368

Some of the finest Japanese/western music since Takemitsu.
Despite living in Germany, Hosokawa is currently my favorite Japanese composer.

Eh, a bit surprised to see someone recommending some Gagaku music  here, which I  consider to be a kind of  musical oddity.... (at least for western ears), I  collect this, so I'm interested by your recommendation . I  like personally the double cd called "Music for Onmyo-Ji" (in fact the first one with Reigakusya).
But I  think that when people talk of "classical" music, they have actually occidental music in mind
wink_face.gif

Users who are viewing this thread

Back