Best classical recordings...ever!
Jan 7, 2014 at 1:36 PM Post #1,174 of 9,368
Jan 7, 2014 at 5:39 PM Post #1,176 of 9,368
That's the Previn disk we're talking about. It's been out of print for a long time. I have no idea why.

Jan 8, 2014 at 4:53 AM Post #1,177 of 9,368
I know that a few of you guys don`t like Abbado but I did enjoy this CD.

I don't often listen to Russian music, but I was impressed with his earlier Tchaikovsky with Chicago and some Mussorgsky excerpts. (Of course, I doubt Berlin hired him to play Tchaikovsky, which might explain some of the opinions.)

Jan 10, 2014 at 9:13 PM Post #1,180 of 9,368
1 more:

basshead.gif

Jan 12, 2014 at 9:22 AM Post #1,184 of 9,368
Thanks Bunnyfluffy for this vid. The music was great and it is always a pleasure watching a conductor how knows how to conduct an orchestra. Too often conductors are so flamboyant that it detracts from the orchestra's performance.  Unfortunately, even great conductors can fall into this latter category i.e. Leonard Bernstein. A solid conductor who guided wonderful orchestras but often thought that conducting was a performance art. 

Jan 12, 2014 at 10:37 AM Post #1,185 of 9,368
  Thanks Bunnyfluffy for this vid. The music was great and it is always a pleasure watching a conductor how knows how to conduct an orchestra. Too often conductors are so flamboyant that it detracts from the orchestra's performance.  Unfortunately, even great conductors can fall into this latter category i.e. Leonard Bernstein. A solid conductor who guided wonderful orchestras but often thought that conducting was a performance art. 

It is all a matter of interpretation how a conductor is to communicate with the orchestra..

This boring old Bernstein 'the egomaniac performance act' conductor  story is dead wrong, if only because when one starts filling in individuals motives it becomes mere projection of what you want it to be..

It is the music that counts, not the degree of visual distraction..

Just sayin
wink_face.gif

Users who are viewing this thread

Back