Best classical recordings...ever!
Jan 16, 2014 at 7:37 AM Post #1,202 of 9,368

I recently bought the big black Perahia box (because it was just insanely cheap over at importcds.com) and I'm already finding it a more rewarding experience than the Rubinstein box (sorry, Arthur).

Funny how one can differ, I have several Bach cd's from Perahia (Goldberg, English Suites) and don't like them at all
biggrin.gif

Jan 16, 2014 at 8:57 AM Post #1,203 of 9,368

Funny how one can differ, I have several Bach cd's from Perahia (Goldberg, English Suites) and don't like them at all
biggrin.gif

Well, I haven't reached Bach yet. That came later in Perahia's career and I'm listening chronologically. I'm actually rather picky when it comes to Bach recordings on the piano (I prefer the harpsichord), so I wonder how I will react to Perahia.

Jan 16, 2014 at 10:40 AM Post #1,205 of 9,368
  "The sound of a harpsicord: Two skeletons copulating on a tin roof in a thunderstorm"
biggrin.gif

Well, if it was good enough for Bach....

Given the amount of music he composed for it, Bach obviously loved the harpsichord, as well as the organ. I think that there's definitely something about instruments where dynamics come about as a result of harmonic density and registration that makes them particularly well-suited to densely contrapuntal music. That's one of the things that makes Bach on the piano often so annoying to me. The graded dynamics at a pianist's disposal somehow almost force him/her to put them to use. And, unless the pianist in question is an exceptional genius (say Richter, Gould or Edwin Fischer), this simply doesn't work, because the music is very obviously not composed with this instrument in mind. 

[That quote by the way (by Beecham) obviously refers to something like the cast-iron frame Pleyel harpsichords of the early 20th century (of Wanda Landowska fame). And they actually rather do sound like that. Rather monotonous. Not at all like a good original harpsichord, actually.] 

Jan 16, 2014 at 11:35 AM Post #1,206 of 9,368

Well, if it was good enough for Bach....

Given the amount of music he composed for it, Bach obviously loved the harpsichord, as well as the organ. I think that there's definitely something about instruments where dynamics come about as a result of harmonic density and registration that makes them particularly well-suited to densely contrapuntal music. That's one of the things that makes Bach on the piano often so annoying to me. The graded dynamics at a pianist's disposal somehow almost force him/her to put them to use. And, unless the pianist in question is an exceptional genius (say Richter, Gould or Edwin Fischer), this simply doesn't work, because the music is very obviously not composed with this instrument in mind. 

[That quote by the way (by Beecham) obviously refers to something like the cast-iron frame Pleyel harpsichords of the early 20th century (of Wanda Landowska fame). And they actually rather do sound like that. Rather monotonous. Not at all like a good original harpsichord, actually.] 

I get your point although maybe there is reason to believe Bach didn't care much about specific instruments, since he transposed a lot of music to other instruments.

Whatever the case might be, I just can't handle the sound of a harpsicord, it's so darn annoying..
redface.gif

Jan 16, 2014 at 3:01 PM Post #1,207 of 9,368
Funny how one can differ, I have several Bach cd's from Perahia (Goldberg, English Suites) and don't like them at all :D

I thought he started with Bach and Handel after his hand injury. I think he's the greatest living pianist and I try to hear him whenever he doesn't cancel. :xf_eek: But I didn't enjoy his Bach records. Since of his Mozart concerti are wonderful, especially nos. 18 and 14. My other favorite Perahia record is his Mendelssohn concerti. His Chopin, too, is very beautiful.

Whatever the case might be, I just can't handle the sound of a harpsicord, it's so darn annoying..:xf_eek:

Some headphones will make it easier, such as HD600 because of the treble roll off.

Jan 16, 2014 at 7:04 PM Post #1,208 of 9,368
Perahia's strength lays in more lyrical and light music, especially Mozart. But he was pretty versatile in other areas too. Just not as good.

Jan 16, 2014 at 7:10 PM Post #1,209 of 9,368
I thought he started with Bach and Handel after his hand injury. I think he's the greatest living pianist and I try to hear him whenever he doesn't cancel.
redface.gif
But I didn't enjoy his Bach records. Since of his Mozart concerti are wonderful, especially nos. 18 and 14. My other favorite Perahia record is his Mendelssohn concerti. His Chopin, too, is very beautiful.
Some headphones will make it easier, such as HD600 because of the treble roll off.

I'll check his Mozart out, thanks...                and I'm sure it's the harpsicord, not my phones
biggrin.gif

Jan 17, 2014 at 5:33 AM Post #1,210 of 9,368
  Perahia's strength lays in more lyrical and light music, especially Mozart. But he was pretty versatile in other areas too. Just not as good.

Funny that, and I don't know whether my traversal through the Perahia box will change this, but my favourite Perahia recording up till now is actually the recording of Bartok's Sonata for two pianos and percussion that he did with Georg Solti. I own quite a few recordings of this 20th century masterpiece, but this is the one I always return to. (Incidentally, it is also my favourite Solti recording, but I was never a fan of his conducting.
biggrin.gif
 )

Jan 17, 2014 at 9:42 PM Post #1,211 of 9,368
In the discography in the Wikipedia entry for Perahia there is nothing later than Brahms excluding that one Bartok recording (presumably done at Solti's suggestion). On Youtube, however, there is a selection from Rach's Op 39 (perhaps the influence of Horowitz?).
Article from 2008 on catalyst for Perahia's Bach recordings :
http://www.telegraph.co.uk/culture/music/3671958/Why-Murray-Perahia-turned-to-Bach.html

Jan 17, 2014 at 10:55 PM Post #1,212 of 9,368
Perahia's Mozart Piano Concertos are drop dead gorgeous. The only ones I like better are by Anda, and those are here and there.

Jan 17, 2014 at 11:34 PM Post #1,213 of 9,368
  Perahia's Mozart Piano Concertos are drop dead gorgeous. The only ones I like better are by Anda, and those are here and there.

Do you remember which of the Anda Mozart records you enjoyed most?

Jan 18, 2014 at 12:08 AM Post #1,214 of 9,368
Jan 18, 2014 at 12:20 AM Post #1,215 of 9,368
Bingo!

Users who are viewing this thread

Back