Best classical recordings...ever!
Dec 27, 2013 at 5:28 PM Post #1,156 of 9,368
Let's hope the undoubted diverse opinions on Op 125 don't cause some sort of riot here.
Seems this large but reasonably priced set is a good way to get hold of Beethoven's Op 126 :
http://www.prestoclassical.co.uk/r/Philips/4756319
Acts as a filler on this pretty new recording of the Diabelli Variations on modern and period intruments :
http://www.prestoclassical.co.uk/r/ECM/4810446
And quite enjoyed Stephen Johnson's discussion here :
http://www.bbc.co.uk/music/showcase/clips/p00glg7v/in/justadded/justadded
The recording the excerpt in post #1142 is from it turns out is available in a video on Youtube : Melvyn Tan playing Beethoven's Broadwood.

Dec 29, 2013 at 2:20 PM Post #1,157 of 9,368
After regarding an historical documentary regarding the cardinal Richelieu (a fascinating character), I  was looking for some music related to that period , and I  was happy to stumble on a box set that seems like a gold mine:
"200 Years of Music at Versailles".

I looked at the few reviews available, they seem all positive. The fact that some performance has been done in Versailles, or near , give a little aura of authenticity. I'm listening to the first cd (period  Louis XIII
biggrin.gif
, which is related to cardinal Richelieu ) , and despite I  usually prefer purely instrumental stuff , I  find the vocals  enough sweet. Additionally the lyrics are available in a booklet, and it's in french which is easier to understand for me (but translated in english too).

Previously I  stumbled on an other box set called, "Harmonia Mundis Century Collection" (discontinued it seems) , but I  wasn't convinced by the authenticity / pertinence of the collection. Also the little I  listened I  found it boring. But it was also  clear for me,  that I  was more curious by the kind of music that people listened at Versailles or other royal courts.

Dec 30, 2013 at 7:39 PM Post #1,159 of 9,368
  After regarding an historical documentary regarding the cardinal Richelieu (a fascinating character), I  was looking for some music related to that period , and I  was happy to stumble on a box set that seems like a gold mine:
"200 Years of Music at Versailles".

I looked at the few reviews available, they seem all positive. The fact that some performance has been done in Versailles, or near , give a little aura of authenticity. I'm listening to the first cd (period  Louis XIII
biggrin.gif
, which is related to cardinal Richelieu ) , and despite I  usually prefer purely instrumental stuff , I  find the vocals  enough sweet. Additionally the lyrics are available in a booklet, and it's in french which is easier to understand for me (but translated in english too).

Previously I  stumbled on an other box set called, "Harmonia Mundis Century Collection" (discontinued it seems) , but I  wasn't convinced by the authenticity / pertinence of the collection. Also the little I  listened I  found it boring. But it was also  clear for me,  that I  was more curious by the kind of music that people listened at Versailles or other royal courts.

This is a very interesting set and has been a real education for me since I got it 3 years ago.
I believe this box set is amazing musically but also in terms of French culture generally.
Not that I am an expert on French culture but my ignorance made this set even more enlightening.

This set is heavy business(so to speak) IMO.

Dec 30, 2013 at 9:20 PM Post #1,160 of 9,368
  3 great recordings of one of Italy's most formidable composer's of the 20th century:

Maybe debatable as to whether they're the best performances of these works but they still are amazing recordings.

And if you want to hear them they are available free here.

https://archive.org/details/agp163

Dec 31, 2013 at 2:12 AM Post #1,161 of 9,368

And if you want to hear them they are available free here.

https://archive.org/details/agp163

I was just looking for on what else that makes sense to spend my monthly allowance of internet data - BINGO. Big thanks for this Berio link.

So, for the New Year and upcoming new year, may your wheels stay true, punctures, if necessary, happen on safe terrain - and that you discover/experience a place you were never before to and proves to be dear to your heart.

Simplified Translation for  other "non-bicycle speaking" headfiers -  

H A P PY   N E W    Y E A R   !

Dec 31, 2013 at 11:56 AM Post #1,162 of 9,368
  I was just looking for on what else that makes sense to spend my monthly allowance of internet data - BINGO. Big thanks for this Berio link.

So, for the New Year and upcoming new year, may your wheels stay true, punctures, if necessary, happen on safe terrain - and that you discover/experience a place you were never before to and proves to be dear to your heart.

Simplified Translation for  other "non-bicycle speaking" headfiers -  

H A P PY   N E W    Y E A R   !

Archive.org is a great site for music in the public domain. There are quite a few very good classical recordings up there. (and as an aside a very decent Binaural live recording by Cowboy Junkies if you like their stuff).

I've had my share of cycling mishaps in the last month, so I am truly looking forward to a better new year.
Hope Everyone else on this thread has a great 14 as well.

Dec 31, 2013 at 12:25 PM Post #1,163 of 9,368

Archive.org is a great site for music in the public domain. There are quite a few very good classical recordings up there. (and as an aside a very decent Binaural live recording by Cowboy Junkies if you like their stuff).

I've had my share of cycling mishaps in the last month, so I am truly looking forward to a better new year.
Hope Everyone else on this thread has a great 14 as well.

Archive.org is truly a great site - will be digging some interesting stuff there in the future.

I *guess* middle name most fittingly describing me would be Binaural - the first officially released CD I recorded is a binaural recording of girl>female choir ČarniCe http://www.carnice.si/diskografija.

There are a couple of sites specializing in binaural, mainly live, recordings, and I may have or have not heard Cowboy Junkies. I will have to dig trough my "bookmarked pages" - but at least 30 % of ALL of my bookmarks contain "binaural" - so it might take a while.

Some "crossover flying>cycling" for you:            ANY landing you can walk off is a good one ... I wish you great 14 !

Dec 31, 2013 at 12:35 PM Post #1,164 of 9,368
  Archive.org is truly a great site - will be digging some interesting stuff there in the future.

I *guess* middle name most fittingly describing me would be Binaural - the first officially released CD I recorded is a binaural recording of girl>female choir ČarniCe http://www.carnice.si/diskografija.

There are a couple of sites specializing in binaural, mainly live, recordings, and I may have or have not heard Cowboy Junkies. I will have to dig trough my "bookmarked pages" - but at least 30 % of ALL of my bookmarks contain "binaural" - so it might take a while.

Some "crossover flying>cycling" for you:            ANY landing you can walk off is a good one ... I wish you great 14 !

Excellent I will have a look at that site.

Rather crawled away from this one
biggrin.gif

Best wishes to you for 14 as well

Jan 2, 2014 at 2:31 PM Post #1,166 of 9,368
  Happy 2014 for all head-fi classical lovers
wink.gif

Bach starts at 06:22

Check those skills 13:35
eek.gif

One of my favorite DVDs. I was just going to mention variation 5 when you included it in the edit. 
beerchug.gif

Jan 6, 2014 at 7:36 PM Post #1,169 of 9,368
Lucky me, I got a stack of 50 used LPs for Christmas.  This is currently spinning:

My first time with Chausson.  Why oh why did this man compose so little music?

Users who are viewing this thread

Back