Best classical recordings...ever!
Jun 15, 2018 at 6:03 AM Post #9,169 of 9,368
Janine Jansen is special.. got to check out Akiko Suwanai, she's been on my wish list waaay too long

Sorry Quinto, I thought that you were a happily married man?! :ksc75smile:

joey_how_you_doin.gif

Jun 20, 2018 at 12:14 AM Post #9,171 of 9,368
Any favorites for the first half of the year?

One, so far.

This is the finale of Evgeny Kissin's playing Brahms' 2d Piano Concerto at a Proms concert on August 5th, 2002. Pretty amazing.

It's available on youtube in five parts. I'm assuming it's a bootleg, as it was never released commercially.

Incidentally, it got panned in The Guardian ("bewildering") and The Independent ("mechanistic"), and got a mixed review in the Daily Telegraph ("immersed in his own private world").

Fortunately, you can hear it for yourself—and make up your own mind!

Aug 1, 2018 at 11:32 PM Post #9,175 of 9,368
So, the last 2 pages of this thread encompasses almost a year's time. If my last 2 posts ended up being the last (Nobody even seems to care enough to comment on these extraordinary documents) the thread could forego further redundancy and repetition and die respectively IMO.

:v:

Aug 2, 2018 at 7:13 AM Post #9,176 of 9,368

Don't despair!
Your posts are interesting and I have the conductors videos you posted on DVDs. But until the end of the BBC Proms season I am busy listening and re-listening to what currrent mainly young artists have to offer in the classical repertoire.
At least via headphones the SQ BBC Radio 3 streams are not bad and some of this year's performances are very good indeed imho.
A couple of favourites are Mozart's last Piano Concerto no27 and Currenthzis's Beethoven symphonies 2and 5,and Karena Kannelakis's concert with a brilliant performance of Beethoven's Coriolan Overture also available as a video just keep me to busy to post often here currently.
And Manze's Haydn London Symphony is a concert I have played more than 5 times since it was broadcast
The same goes for Debussy's magic Opera Pelléas and Mélisande which I have revisited quite a lot recently.
Cheers Christer

Last edited:
Aug 2, 2018 at 2:14 PM Post #9,177 of 9,368
Don't despair!
Your posts are interesting and I have the conductors videos you posted on DVDs. But until the end of the BBC Proms season I am busy listening and re-listening to what currrent mainly young artists have to offer in the classical repertoire.
At least via headphones the SQ BBC Radio 3 streams are not bad and some of this year's performances are very good indeed imho.
A couple of favourites are Mozart's last Piano Concerto no27 and Currenthzis's Beethoven symphonies 2and 5,and Karena Kannelakis's concert with a brilliant performance of Beethoven's Coriolan Overture also available as a video just keep me to busy to post often here currently.
And Manze's Haydn London Symphony is a concert I have played more than 5 times since it was broadcast
The same goes for Debussy's magic Opera Pelléas and Mélisande which I have revisited quite a lot recently.
Cheers Christer
Hello there Mr. (Ms.?) Christer. My lament is not so much about my post being neglected as it is about the thread being neglected.Maybe limping along might better describe it. Peace and listen in good health!!

Aug 2, 2018 at 10:35 PM Post #9,178 of 9,368
Good to see some life here. I know diddly about classical music other then I like it occasionally. I use this thread to discover new stuff. Otherwise I just go to the library and grab random stuff and rip a copy of it. At least here I have peer reviewed stuff.

Dec 5, 2018 at 11:22 AM Post #9,179 of 9,368
Hello there Mr. (Ms.?) Christer. My lament is not so much about my post being neglected as it is about the thread being neglected.Maybe limping along might better describe it. Peace and listen in good health!!
Hm, maybe there is a reason for that. The thread is just boring. Beethoven, Mahler, Mozart, Bach... etc. Over and over.
The reason many historically great recordings are such is they towered above their competition at the time they were relevant. And they are still relevant to many.
Hm, so what? I just care what is relevant to me regarding the context.
600 pages of classical music transfiguration is a bit to much for my taste. This thread gives the impression the music was better decades ago. Karajan, Bohm, Bernstein and many other famous clowns are not in my collection. And I listen all the time to classical music (whatever that might be). Tastes are different.

Dec 5, 2018 at 12:10 PM Post #9,180 of 9,368
Well heck, lets fire it up with an almost non sequitur

For a newb to classical I would have to recco the OST for the anime series Legend of the Galactic Heroes. It is almost an instant classical music collection unto itself..

Users who are viewing this thread

Back