1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.

Dismiss Notice

Best classical recordings...ever!

Discussion in 'Music' started by kungfuthug, Sep 8, 2012.
First

Back
604 605 606 607 608 609 610 611 612 613
  1. Peter Hyatt
    Thoughts on
    Florilegium "London Symphonies" recording?

2. clouddasher
    I think the bbc recording of the gothic is amazing. Also the Norrkoping symphony orchestra's version of Hans Rott's symphony in E major is great.

SteveOliver and Peter Hyatt like this.
  3. perhapss
    Nice to see this thread still lives :beerchug:.

Peter Hyatt likes this.
  4. Peter Hyatt
    I’m enjoying the 24/96 download of Kirill Petrenko & Berliner Philharmoniker of Tchaikovsky 6th...

Excellent sound quality & performance.

Perhaps enhanced for me after watching video at Digital Concert Hall.

SteveOliver, Quinto and pbarach like this.
  5. alanbeeb
    I've got that recording too, and while I admire Petrenko's determination to totally avoid hysteria and over-sentimentality... its just too straight for me. But thankfully, it is far prefereble than the opposite extreme - highly praised but to my ears way-over-the-top milk-every-moment approach of Theodor Curentzis and Musica Eterna.

Igor Markevitch & Philharmonia from 1960s do it all just about right for me.

Peter Hyatt likes this.
  6. pbarach
    For a recording in superlative sound that isn't IMO as dull as Petrenko's, try Honeck/Pittsburgh.

Peter Hyatt likes this.
  7. perhapss

Peter Hyatt likes this.
  8. Quinto

bikefixe and Raketen like this.
  9. perhapss
    That Annie Fischer is a truly great recording indeed IMO. New to me as well so extra bonus!

10. Quinto
    Her whole Beethoven cycle is terrific..she was very self critical when she recorded them. The earlier sonatas are really special

She told Richter once she didn't like a particular recording of his, he was very amused and agreed .. geniuses don't do bs, ever.. :D

11. Claritas

Last April, I decided that I wanted to buy another complete set of the Beethoven sonatas. I decided from amongst four pianists: Arrau, Fischer, Goode, and Schiff. Fischer was on the list because you had recommended her. (Thank you.)

I compared their performances of Opp. 27 no. 1, 31 no. 1, 53, 109, and 110. Goode and Schiff had some interesting ideas, but they weren't fully worked out. At those times, their playing became irregular. Arrau and Fischer had fully worked out their interpretations. I found Fischer to be straightforward and bracing. I felt that her playing would have been better suited to the Mozart sonatas. She didn't convey the mysterious aspect of Beethoven. So I bought the Arrau set, which has not disappointed me.

Recently I've been comparing Backhaus, Kempff, and Levit. But, so far, I'm unpersuaded. I shall be considering Gulda as well.

On another note, let me add to the thread a Schumann's Kreisleriana that I had somehow managed to overlook.

[​IMG]

This one made me sit up and think. It has been many years since I've heard an interpretation that took a different angle and made it work, adding something new. No one has surpassed Cortot. But Perahia delivered a very fine, romantic rendition; and Kissin has given us a good, unmannered reading.

Peter Hyatt likes this.
  12. Peter Hyatt
    49685F73-56E9-4E16-B5C2-2E21649FC2D0.jpeg

Duet: the aria where one sings, “this elixir is wonderful!” while the other sings how he’s never met a bigger idiot is impossible to not smile during

Raketen and Quinto like this.
  13. perhapss

perhaps not one of the "greatest classical recordings.... ever"" but truly fascinating IMO.

Peter Hyatt and Quinto like this.
  14. perhapss

I've probably posted this at least once before but I heard it again today and here it is...

Raketen likes this.
  15. Raketen
    @Quinto hadn't heard Annie Fischer before thanks for posting earlier. This live rec of Bartok pianoconcert 3 is great.

[​IMG]

Last edited: Nov 3, 2019
    Quinto and Pokemonn like this.
First

Back
604 605 606 607 608 609 610 611 612 613