Best cheap headphones for a drummer
Oct 6, 2010 at 6:17 PM Thread Starter Post #1 of 6

jpk70

New Head-Fier
I play drums in a band and we start to use ear monitoring now. So I have to buy good quality headphones (hi-fi is my hobby as well, so quality is important).
Requirements:

- Good quatlity sound (obviously
smily_headphones1.gif
).
- They need to be cup-style because I might sometimes need to use ear-protection as well underbeneath them.
- They need to be pretty cheap. Like ideally less than £40 (=$65).
- Need to have good bass sound/responce because bass guitar is the most important. But bass does not need to be overemphazied though... not too much. But I mean that not too little... Maybe what I am trying to say is: they need to be neutral:). The bass sound can be magnified a bit from the mixer.
- They need to look good, because I play before hundreds of people and they see them. So I would like to have smaller cups. So small cups.
- They should be able to handle loud sound signals and not to get broken if by co-insidence somebody puts sound too loud on the mixer. This is not the most important, but plus definitely.
- They should stay firmly on head as drummers shake their head a bit.
- Also they need to be well made, for hard usage, because they are in heavy use and might fall on the floor etc. So the wires must be well attached and thick etc not to break down easily.

Any suggestions about headphones which meet these criterias. Thank you.

btw. I am happy owner of Grado SR80. They are good (proper bass they have), but obviously they do not meet above criterias.

Oct 6, 2010 at 7:44 PM Post #2 of 6
You might wanna look into the Sennheiser HD212 cans. The design is solid for what you want (I had the HD202, same design), the bass is slightly emphasized

Oct 7, 2010 at 2:09 PM Post #4 of 6
Do you intend to use them only while drumming, or for personal use as well? As a drummer, you'll want as much isolation as possible, good durability, and sound quality sort of comes after that. Popular choices would be the Beyer DT770M or a Vic Firth. The latter is more in your price range. In studio cans, you might be able to find a used Senn HD280 for your price.

Another option is to just wear some iems with a good seal and put earmuffs on top.

Oct 7, 2010 at 2:18 PM Post #5 of 6
I'd suggest the Audio Technica ATH-M30. Most guitar centers carry them. They're one of my favorite headphones under $75. They're very neutral and makes some poorly recorded music sound bad. I think some people would think they sound bad because they're not used to such a neutral headphone. I think think they're fun and I almost think they're the best headphone for classical music under $75.

They're extremely durable, somewhat small and the earpads are small and comfortable (for me). The cable is straight and not coiled. You can even upgrade the pads to velour pads, which I just did last week.

I actually prefer the M30 to the MDR-V6, but I'd like to find more very neutral headphones if I can. The ATH-M30 is $58 or you can get them at newegg for $53 I think.

Oct 8, 2010 at 3:35 AM Post #6 of 6

Quote:
I'd suggest the Audio Technica ATH-M30. Most guitar centers carry them.

I actually prefer the M30 to the MDR-V6, but I'd like to find more very neutral headphones if I can. The ATH-M30 is $58 or you can get them at newegg for $53 I think.

Hey, thanks very much. This ATH-M30 seems to fit quite well what I want. They are a bit bigger than I wanted (I prefer smaller,,, they look better), but they look quite good so it might be ok.   I will check them now....

Users who are viewing this thread

Back