Best cheap exercise ear buds
Sep 29, 2010 at 10:23 PM Thread Starter Post #1 of 22

dtremblay

New Head-Fier
Alright.  What is the best pair of earbuds for use during exercise?  Priorities are:

1. Does not slip out of ears while running.
2.  Cheapo.  Like under $40.  The cheaper the better.
3.  Sound quality.

So sound quality is the least important factor.  Thanks y'all.

Sep 30, 2010 at 7:15 AM Post #2 of 22
Lol never thought I see the words "sound quality" and "least important factor" in the same sentence in a place like this.

May I suggest Koss KSC75?

http://www.headphone.com/selection-guide/koss-ksc-75.php

Sep 30, 2010 at 9:29 AM Post #3 of 22
No offense but the KSC75 would not be a good choice for me especially if you run or exercise with sunglasses on.  In fact I would never run or bicycle with headphones that clip-on.  I know if an acquaintance who was cycling and the cord for his clip-on headphones got caught on a tree branch and nearly severed his right ear off - nasty!

My personal suggestion would be an inexpensive set of IEMs.  I prefer the MEElectronics M9-BK I just purchased specifically for cycling.

You might also want to look into the Sennheiser MXL 570 or CXL 300 which are both lanyard style in case the earpiece falls out of your ear while exercising.  FYI - I like my MXL 570s but I find that earbuds are not the best for cycling or running because the isolation is so poor I have to turn them up to unsafe levels to hear what I'm playing.

Sep 30, 2010 at 9:33 AM Post #4 of 22
CX300's, the real ones, of course.  When you exercise its nice to have strong bass to keep you motivated.

Sep 30, 2010 at 9:38 AM Post #5 of 22
Hmm...never really had problems with clip-ons. I guess it comes down to the physical shape of your ear that allows the clip to stay on.

As for the CX 300s all I can say is hell no...they suck hardcore as the strong bass is all a muddy mish-mash of boom that kills everything else.

Oct 6, 2010 at 12:45 PM Post #9 of 22
I run regularly, and I would recommend the Philips SHS8001 earbuds. I have the model with the in-line microphone (SHH8006), but I believe the earbuds are the same on both models. They have an over-the-ear hook that helps keep them in place when sweat begins to make your ears slippery - gross image, I know, but that's what happens. They come standard with 3 sizes of rubber cushions, easy to switch. Find the right size for your ear canal, and the combination of the over-ear hooks and the friction of the rubber inserts should keep them securely in your ears. You can find them online for between $20 and $50 depending on if you buy them through eBay or brand new. They're durable as hell - I sweat on them 3-4 times per week, and I even sent them through the washer and dryer once by accident, still providing decent sound quality for this price range. The attached pic shows them in white, but mine are black, I dunno what other colors they have or if that's important to you.

For a full review I wrote of my headset, (again, that's SHH8006, which has an in-line mic and volume controls), check it out here:
http://www.head-fi.org/products/philips-shh8006-28-headset-for-iphone-with-remote-and-mic/reviews#4218

Here's a picture of the earbuds in question:

Oct 6, 2010 at 5:13 PM Post #10 of 22
Anyone here tried using Brainwavz M1 or ViSang R02 as exercise ear buds?

How do they compare to MeElectronics M6 in terms of isolation and comfort?

I apologize for the thread hijacking. I'm in the same situation as you and narrowed it down to the above IEMs.

Oct 6, 2010 at 5:14 PM Post #11 of 22
I recently picked up the Yamaha Eph-50s for about 40 and would strongly recommend them for your purposes. The fit is very ergonomic and gets a very tight seal. I use them at the gym and have yet to notice them becoming loose at all. I've also been pleasantly surprised by the sound quality, especially the strong bass which is a must for me while working out. Obviously you can go cheaper if sound quality is not as much of factor, but they are definitely a solid set to consider.  

Oct 7, 2010 at 2:58 AM Post #12 of 22
Don't you guys have problems with IEMs when running? With the ears sealed off from ambient noise, hearing your own foot steps can be annoying. I have used the KSC75 while walking at a brisk pace (3.3 MPH) on a treadmill without any problems. Perhaps different form factors are better suited to the kinds of exercises you're doing.

Oct 7, 2010 at 3:42 AM Post #13 of 22

Quote:
Don't you guys have problems with IEMs when running? With the ears sealed off from ambient noise, hearing your own foot steps can be annoying. I have used the KSC75 while walking at a brisk pace (3.3 MPH) on a treadmill without any problems. Perhaps different form factors are better suited to the kinds of exercises you're doing.

For whatever reason I've never had this issue.  I do know some people don't like running with IEMs because they isolate too well, but I generally run either on a closed track or a treadmill so I don't have to worry about getting run over.  My running form isn't the greatest so I have too much up and down motion to wear clip-ons.  I tried running with clip on Sonys once and they kept coming off and getting tanlged up in my legs...very nearly actually got hurt on that one.

Oct 7, 2010 at 6:48 AM Post #15 of 22
I'd agree with the suggestions for the CX300-II and MEElectornics M6 earphones. Might be worth checking out the Sennheiser CX 380 as well due to the sweat resistance.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back