Best cheap bass amp for ATH-M50
Jul 29, 2011 at 2:26 PM Post #31 of 40
Since you guys think i should get another pair (which i dont mind) which do you recommend, ive tried the xb-500s and they were good but you needed to turn the music up to 11 to get the rumble that i wanted, ive been looking at the mdr-v700s and dnhp-1000s, are those good, any others that i should consider

Jul 29, 2011 at 2:31 PM Post #32 of 40
I think you should try the Ultrasone HFI-580. 
biggrin.gif

Jul 29, 2011 at 2:33 PM Post #33 of 40

Quote:
Since you guys think i should get another pair (which i dont mind) which do you recommend, ive tried the xb-500s and they were good but you needed to turn the music up to 11 to get the rumble that i wanted, ive been looking at the mdr-v700s and dnhp-1000s, are those good, any others that i should consider

There's about 6 million threads on here about bass-heavy headphones.  If you found head-fi I imagine you know how to search. 
wink.gif

Jul 29, 2011 at 2:40 PM Post #34 of 40

Quote:

Heya,

If the XB500's didn't satisfy your need for bass, then I suppose you just want gobs and gobs of uncontrolled head rattling bass. If that's the case, you truly just need to use an EQ or something like the ZO to enhance bass as much as possible to the point of losing everything except the bass (well, to an extent, that's exaggerating). Because really, for the money, the XB500's output serious bass. Buying $300+ headphones for basshead purposes without having experienced the XB500's makes you go "And there were... $50?". I got my XB500's for $40. They are bass monsters. EQ them properly and they will shake your skull. I don't suppose you want your budget to extend to something of the nature of DarthBeyers (customs) for example. So I would just stick with XB500's and combine with an EQ of some nature (or even the DigidZoid ZO if you think it's worth the total $150 for that setup, ZO+XB500). It should shake your teeth loose.

Very best,

Jul 29, 2011 at 2:43 PM Post #35 of 40
You might try those skullcandy skullcrushers if you never find a satisfiable amount of visceral impact on your head.  Headphones will never have the visceral impact as a speaker setup, but those skull crushers are meant to vibrate.

I know it's a gimmicky and trashy headphone, but it just might satisfy your wants.  I have a friend who's the same way.  He doesn't really care about the fidelity of the music or the loudness of the bass, he just wants his head to rumble.

Jul 29, 2011 at 2:51 PM Post #36 of 40
If you are on a super low budget the fiio e3 isn't that bass for a quick bass boast. Especially if you use an alkaline or a 1.6v rechargable nickel zinc battery.

Also you can build a headbanger amp from off the shelf parts from radioshack.
Edit actually the headbanger might not be ideal

Jul 29, 2011 at 4:33 PM Post #37 of 40

Quote:
You might try those skullcandy skullcrushers if you never find a satisfiable amount of visceral impact on your head.  Headphones will never have the visceral impact as a speaker setup, but those skull crushers are meant to vibrate.

I know it's a gimmicky and trashy headphone, but it just might satisfy your wants.  I have a friend who's the same way.  He doesn't really care about the fidelity of the music or the loudness of the bass, he just wants his head to rumble.

I just tried those and yep thats what i wanted 

Jul 29, 2011 at 5:58 PM Post #38 of 40
Jul 29, 2011 at 6:16 PM Post #39 of 40
Then just get the skullbrokens. Just remember to keep the receipt with you, as you may have to use the lifetime warranty.
Quote:
I just tried those and yep thats what i wanted 

In case you're still looking for a cheap amp, here's a nice article from headfonia: http://www.headfonia.com/music-on-a-budget-sub-100-portable-amps-shootout/

The bass boost on the E11 is pretty good. I find it better than the bass boost on my MixAmp 5.8, which is a lot better than the bass boost presets on iDevices

Quote:
I've personally tried the M50 with bass boost from both the Turtle Beach DSS and Fio products, and doesn't sound too good.  It certainly gets louder, but it's very bloated and not impactful.

In my opinion, you should be looking at a different headphone first to give you the sound that you're after, and use the amplifier to refine the sound you want.

Jul 29, 2011 at 7:43 PM Post #40 of 40

Quote:

... I don't suppose you want your budget to extend to something of the nature of DarthBeyers (customs) for example...

Heh, just browsing through and saw this. Larry's making my V4 (Terminator) Darth Beyers now. Can't wait!
L3000.gif

Sorry to threadjack - back to regularly scheduled discussion...

Users who are viewing this thread

Back