Best cheap bass amp for ATH-M50
Jul 29, 2011 at 7:53 AM Thread Starter Post #1 of 40

jacobj9

New Head-Fier
So I just bought some ATH-M50s and there bass isn't as good as what I thought it would be, so I started looking and I saw amps can give you the BOOM sort-of bass, what amp is good for the thumping, in your face, BOOM, bass?

Jul 29, 2011 at 8:06 AM Post #4 of 40
If you'd buy an amp then DigiZoid ZO Personal Subwoofer will do it.

Jul 29, 2011 at 12:27 PM Post #8 of 40

Quote:
An amplifier is not likely to do that for you.  Try equalizing instead.

How did you come up with this?
Who told you that an amp doesn't add bass to M50's?
This is a completely falce statement...

Jul 29, 2011 at 12:28 PM Post #9 of 40

Quote:
A bass boost cmoy like the one by JDSLabs. Better bass than the E7 bass boost and cheaper than the E11.

+1 for the cmoy...
Especially for bassheads...

Jul 29, 2011 at 12:58 PM Post #11 of 40
Yeah.  Get a different headphone.  You don't want to try to change a heaphone with amplification.  If you want a different frequency response (more bass) then buy a headphone with more bass. 

The XB700 or XB1000 seems to get praised on here a lot for being super bassy with decent SQ. 

Jul 29, 2011 at 1:06 PM Post #12 of 40
Well ZO Personal Subwoofer amp can get nice bass out of any headphone, it's been used to make even the basshy AD700 into slightly bassheavy! It's not only a gimmick bass boost device though, it performs very well for the price, many people who have bought it would have paid twice as much, that much of a satisfaction it brings, it's not your typical amp, it uses a slightly different implementation, it brings the whole frequency range more forward and which improves the dynamic range, also the soundstage size is increased a little and it allows 31 different levels of bass boost (I'd guess at the max setting we're talking about 13 ~ 15dB increase depending on headphone which is about the amount a super bassy headphone like Sony XB500 packs :p). It both enhances deep bass as well as tightening it up and adds a realistic "punch"/thump to it which is more like a "feel it"-bass than your typical midbass bloat which usually adds a lot of impact. The bass boost is miles away any other device's I've tried. 

For more info you can read my review http://www.head-fi.org/forum/thread/558850/digizoid-zo-personal-subwoofer-review-the-missing-link-to-audio-nirvana

Or check out this thread for the overhelming positive feedback http://www.head-fi.org/forum/thread/504037/mini-review-digizoid-zo-portable-subwoofer

A "v2" with further improvements is targeted for a September release.

Jul 29, 2011 at 1:12 PM Post #13 of 40

Quote:
Well ZO Personal Subwoofer amp can get nice bass out of any headphone, it's been used to make even the basshy AD700 into slightly bassheavy! It's not only a gimmick bass boost device though, it performs very well for the price, many people who have bought it would have paid twice as much, that much of a satisfaction it brings, it's not your typical amp, it uses a slightly different implementation, it brings the whole frequency range more forward and which improves the dynamic range, also the soundstage size is increased a little and it allows 31 different levels of bass boost (I'd guess at the max setting we're talking about 13 ~ 15dB increase depending on headphone which is about the amount a super bassy headphone like Sony XB500 packs :p)

For more info you can read my review http://www.head-fi.org/forum/thread/558850/digizoid-zo-personal-subwoofer-review-the-missing-link-to-audio-nirvana

Or check out this thread for the overhelming positive feedback http://www.head-fi.org/forum/thread/504037/mini-review-digizoid-zo-portable-subwoofer

A "v2" with further improvements is targeted for a September release.

While this is true, a $100 device compared to a $50 headphone (XB500)? I just don't see spending $99 on the DigiZoid for M50's.

Just me though.

Very best,

Jul 29, 2011 at 1:16 PM Post #14 of 40

Quote:
How did you come up with this?
Who told you that an amp doesn't add bass to M50's?
This is a completely falce statement...

It shouldn't be adding much noticeable bass unless it has a bass boost option, in which case we're most likely looking at the implementation of a single band equalizer. You should perceive just as much bass addition from turning the volume up, as the m50s are already driven adequately, than from using an amplifier with a halfway decent design.

Jul 29, 2011 at 1:20 PM Post #15 of 40

Quote:
It shouldn't be adding much noticeable bass unless it has a bass boost option, in which case we're most likely looking at the implementation of a single band equalizer. You should perceive just as much bass addition from turning the volume up, as the m50s are already driven adequately, than from using an amplifier with a halfway decent design.

So let me get it right...
You agree that a bass boost amp will make the bass noticeable and present.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back