Best Cans for under $100?
Mar 27, 2009 at 5:43 PM Thread Starter Post #1 of 48

untrueparadox

100+ Head-Fier
I came to you guys for some suggestions on a set of IEMs under $100 and got the NuForce 7m which was great for my iphone and i loved it at $50. Thank you very much for the people that helped me. Without you guys, I probably woulda bought a set of Bose Triport.

I want a set for my desktop computer listening thats hopefully better but not it doesnt have to be small and mobile. Ive read that some Grado and Sennheisers are good, ie: HD555, etc. but they seem too expensive. This is for a set that I use with my desktop with an x-fi xtrememusic so I hope an extra amp isnt needed. Anyways, under $100 and the cheaper the better but quality is my top priority. Still a student so the cash is some extras I got for tax return. I live in los angeles so I will probably attend Can Jam 09, the student ticket doesnt seem too expensive but I cant wait that long. My desktop speakers are a set of Creative I-Trigue 3400 which isnt too great so I think I want an upgrade.

I prefer ones with strong bass. I mostly listen to some alternative rock, mostly rap/hiphop/RnB, some pop, few adult contemporaries, and a couple oldies and classics once in a while. I game once in a while but I prefer a music set vs a gaming set.

Thanks for the help ahead of time.

Mar 27, 2009 at 6:30 PM Post #2 of 48
These http://www.head-fi.org/forums/f10/fs...h-a700-416831/
smily_headphones1.gif

Mar 27, 2009 at 6:45 PM Post #5 of 48
Quote:

Originally Posted by lucky /img/forum/go_quote.gif
For me...

Under $50: RX700.

Between $50 and $250: AD700.

x2

Mar 27, 2009 at 7:09 PM Post #8 of 48
Quote:

Originally Posted by cswann1 /img/forum/go_quote.gif
Lot's of Head-Fier's really like the Denon AH-D1001k. They're going for about $80 here.

sold out above,

Found for a bit more here, but you can put yourself on the reserve list:
Denon AH-D1001K Stereo Headphone - AH-D1001K - Buy.com

Mar 27, 2009 at 7:11 PM Post #9 of 48
Mar 27, 2009 at 7:12 PM Post #10 of 48
Quote:

Originally Posted by Carlsan /img/forum/go_quote.gif
sold out above,

True, but you can place your order and have them ship when Beech get a new shipment. That's the lowest price I've seen so it may be worth it to wait for some. Not for me though. I want my toys [size=medium]NOW[/size]
atsmile.gif

Mar 27, 2009 at 7:44 PM Post #11 of 48
Quote:

Originally Posted by Carlsan /img/forum/go_quote.gif
Check out this thread, one can be found for around $33 the other for $50 or so.

http://www.head-fi.org/forums/f4/jvc...i-nuts-375575/

Both go in and out of stock fairly quickly at buy.com
JVC HA-RX900 $55 - JVC HA-RX900 Stereo Headphone - HARX900 - Buy.com

JVC HA-RX700 $34 - JVC HA-RX700 Stereo Headphone - HARX700 - Buy.com

I ordered the RX700s more than a week ago. They still haven't shipped, and buy.com is still showing out of stock. That is not my idea of being back in stock "fairly quickly"! On the plus side, they were only $34 shipped, and I won't even be charged that until they actually get them in.
Good thing they are just a lark for me (I have excellent phones already.) If they were going to be my primary cans, I would be losing patience!

Mar 27, 2009 at 8:07 PM Post #12 of 48
So I take it the jvc rx900? What's the bass like? I prefer a strong but precise and sharp bass. Also how much difference is the 700 vs the 900?

I assume all the stuff here don't require amps to sound good?

Mar 27, 2009 at 8:09 PM Post #13 of 48
Quote:

Originally Posted by intoart /img/forum/go_quote.gif
I ordered the RX700s more than a week ago. They still haven't shipped, and buy.com is still showing out of stock. That is not my idea of being back in stock "fairly quickly"! On the plus side, they were only $34 shipped, and I won't even be charged that until they actually get them in.
Good thing they are just a lark for me (I have excellent phones already.) If they were going to be my primary cans, I would be losing patience!

Have to agree, I to ordered the RX700's but as a possible gift to my daughter, and to see what the to-do is all about.
A few months ago Buy.com had a special on Denon D2000's for $200. I almost fell off my seat and of course ordered a pair. They had gone out of stock. Waited and waited, no stock ever showed up. Buy.com eventually canceled my order.

Got them anyway, but off of Amazon as an open box item - like new.

Mar 27, 2009 at 8:52 PM Post #15 of 48
The D1001 (and the Creative "Aurvana Live!" which is almost precisely the same product) have a couple issues.

They're bassy and tiresome until you open them up and stuff them a bit with polyfill or fiberglass, and the earpads are kinda small. They're circum-aural unless you have the ears of an adult man.

Edit: and when i say "bassy and tiresome" I mean the bass is loose, bloated, distorted, blurry, and one-note until you stuff the cups.

Current production Fostex T50RP at about $75 from, say, Musicians Friend, are probably far better.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back