Best cans for separation (under $300)
Jan 2, 2011 at 2:24 PM Thread Starter Post #1 of 4

elrom

New Head-Fier
Hi everybody! (this is my first post, although I've been a silent reader for a little while)

Before everyone screams "search!". I spent literally all day yesterday sorting through dozens of threads. None of the "under $300" threads focused or cared about separation. Many were concerned with either bass (not a priority for me, although I would like decent punch, nothing boomy though...). A bunch were concerned with "fun to listen to" (I want headphones that are fun, but separation comes first)

My main speakers are a pair of infinity beta 40. I've yet to find speakers that for the price provide the kind of separation that these do. (but please lets not make speakers the main topic of this thread)

A few of my initial candidates (although please list others if you think they are closer to what I'm looking for) include:

k702
DT 880 / DT 990
ath-ad700
225i/325is
Alessandro m1/m2

sennheiser?

As a side topic, I understand that some of these require real amplification (particularly the akgs). I'm an ee and plan on putting together one of the millet amps (although I find some of the design of the m3 to be very interesting... and may try to incorporate the active ground feature). But I'll probably start a separate thread for that once I've chosen the cans.

Thanks! (and please go easy on me... :) )

-elrom

Jan 2, 2011 at 3:15 PM Post #2 of 4
I would recommend the AD900 over the AD700, as it's under $300.

Also, I know from mine that it's very good at separation, though I've no experience with the others. For separation, I prefer it to my SR-225i.

I hope this helps!

Jan 2, 2011 at 4:38 PM Post #4 of 4
Look for used HD 650.  They can be found by addi-er-audiophiles climbing the ladder to LCD-2 or by people who are not impressed enough with the sound of the HD 650.

Amping is required, but an expensive amp is not necessary right away.  

As always, IMHO (as an inexperienced headphone nut-case).

Users who are viewing this thread

Back