Best Build Quality Headphone?
Feb 5, 2010 at 12:57 AM Thread Starter Post #1 of 37

alanbeeb

100+ Head-Fier
Which currently available Cans have the best build quality?

I.E. which are the least flimsy, most solidly constructed, most feel like if you dropped them they wouldn't break, do not creak or rattle in any way when in use? And feel like quality pieces of kit i.e. solid, nice materials?

I find Stax headsets very rattly and creak a lot when one moves, Audio technica also feel a bit flimsy to me.

My own nomination would be for Senn HD600 or 650 but what do I know? AKG 701 were not bad either.

Feb 5, 2010 at 1:07 AM Post #3 of 37
Both HD650 and K701 has build issues as well. My K701 for example, has had both of the thin plastic strip that holds on to the headband assembly break off (and I have been taking great care of it too). Nothing major, but should be mentioned. As for HD650/600, they're very well known for chipping headband, creaking swivels, and worst of all, fragile headband which is well known to snap in half. They're obviously not the most fragile headphones or anything, but I wouldn't call it the most well built, either.

I'd say ones with best build quality would be studio/outdoor field work headphones, like K271, DT48, HD25, German Maestro and the likes. They were specifically designed to withstand the wear and tear of the environments they were meant to be used in, and is therefore very durable.

Feb 5, 2010 at 1:45 AM Post #4 of 37
Beyerdynamic 770/880/990/T1 ftw
Toss 'em against the wall, down the stairs, let your dog chew on them for a bit, they'll hold up. Plus they're incredibly comfortable

Feb 5, 2010 at 1:53 AM Post #5 of 37
Quote:

Originally Posted by anetode /img/forum/go_quote.gif
Beyerdynamic 770/880/990/T1 ftw
Toss 'em against the wall, down the stairs, let your dog chew on them for a bit, they'll hold up. Plus they're incredibly comfortable

Agreed...my DT880s were incredible and my T1s are even better! Super solid.
beyersmile.png

Feb 5, 2010 at 2:01 AM Post #7 of 37
I tend to think that the HD600's may need adjustment. Mine were really tight when I bought them, which would stress the plastic top. I completely extended the metal strips and applied pressure to the metal to adjust them. Now they fit well and do not stress the plastic. I have an old pair of 580's on loan that are in perfect shape except for the ear pads.

I would put sound quality first and then build quality as long as the build quality is at a certain acceptable level. Then again, I baby all of my audio quipment. If you travel a lot or are hard on equipment, get the heavy duty models.

Feb 5, 2010 at 2:08 AM Post #8 of 37
Quote:

Originally Posted by franatium /img/forum/go_quote.gif
DT48 easily.

For once, I completely agree. If wearing the DT48s is a punishment, at least it's one that you can be confident you will suffer for the foreseeable future. They are built like a brick-****house.

Feb 5, 2010 at 2:16 AM Post #10 of 37
I assume build quality means durability to you.
Well a lot of cheap headphones are durable and don't break easily.
If you mean craftsmanship then I definitely nominate Audio Technica.
From my experience the attention to detail on their headphones is superb.
I have a pair of HD650 I and was never amazed by their craftsmanship, though I really like the styling and sound quality of HD650.
I don't see the point of comparing the durability of headphones as they don't tend to break themselves, but from improper
use. Plus I treat my headphones nicely
normal_smile .gif

Feb 5, 2010 at 2:21 AM Post #11 of 37
Quote:

Originally Posted by JonathanHF /img/forum/go_quote.gif
I assume build quality means durability to you.
Well a lot of cheap headphones are durable and don't break easily.
If you mean craftsmanship then I definitely nominate Audio Technica.
From my experience the attention to detail on their headphones is superb.
I have a pair of HD650 I and was never amazed by their craftsmanship, though I really like the styling and sound quality of HD650.
I don't see the point of comparing the durability of headphones as they don't tend to break themselves, but from improper
use. Plus I treat my headphones nicely
normal_smile .gif

Don't forget about the headband cracking that eventually happens though!

Feb 5, 2010 at 2:33 AM Post #12 of 37
Quote:

Originally Posted by MacedonianHero /img/forum/go_quote.gif
Don't forget about the headband cracking that eventually happens though!

I won't!
From what I heard the cracking comes from bending the headphone since
most users found them too tight on the head.
I only bended the metal parts and everything seems fine so far.
I hope it does not crack.

Feb 5, 2010 at 6:33 AM Post #14 of 37

Users who are viewing this thread

Back