Best Build Quality Headphone?
Feb 5, 2010 at 7:36 AM Post #16 of 37
Quote:

Originally Posted by alanbeeb /img/forum/go_quote.gif
Which currently available Cans have the best build quality?

I.E. which are the least flimsy, most solidly constructed, most feel like if you dropped them they wouldn't break, do not creak or rattle in any way when in use? And feel like quality pieces of kit i.e. solid, nice materials?

I find Stax headsets very rattly and creak a lot when one moves, Audio technica also feel a bit flimsy to me.

Stax are less flimsy than they look and feel, but it's still a good idea to be careful with them strictly because they're expensive. they use very high quality plastic and they're less fragile than they look like they are (for example, broken grilles on the lambdas are almost unheardof) - but abuse them and your wallet will feel it when you repair them.

Dunno where you're getting rattly, but the creak is best solved with an application of finely ground talc powder to the creaky bits. I actually recommend visiting a bowling pro shop and buying the tiny baggie of Brunswick Power Slide or similar (Ebonite and other brands have similar products - your local pro shop may not have PowerSlide but they'll have the same stuff in a different package, guaranteed) -- this is an ultra-fine talc that is designed to make one's bowling shoe extra slippery. What you get is a little cloth bag full of the stuff which is tucked inside a ziplock baggie. Will cost in the neighborhood of $3-5. Apply a small amount of this to whatever is creaking or squeaking.

You can buy it online for $3 shipped here: http://www.bowlingball.com/brunswick...accessory.html

This grade of talc powder is so slippery that most bowling leagues have banned it's use, strictly because one guy who puts it on his shoes will leave enough of the stuff on the approach to the lane that other bowlers will slip and fall when they step in the same spot. (at least, when bowling on modern synthetic lanes - which are like hardwood laminate floors, except the layer of urethane and aluminum oxide on the surface is about 10 times as thick and five times as smooth as you'd get in a residential flooring product. It's like walking on glass.)

Feb 5, 2010 at 8:20 AM Post #18 of 37
The Grado HP-1000 series have amazing build quality, but they're not easy to come by.

The Beyerdynamic DT48, however, is still available. They have machined aluminum cups and are built to withstand air raids, tornados and the rage of angry ex-girlfriends. Nothing in production compares.

If you are one of the select few who actually appreciates their sound, there is no more durable headphone on the market.

Feb 5, 2010 at 10:03 AM Post #19 of 37
Stax SR-007 (BL, A , MK2) and 4070 are both built to last a long time.
"Best" or not..

Feb 5, 2010 at 10:11 AM Post #20 of 37
Quote:

Originally Posted by giedrys /img/forum/go_quote.gif
No love for D5000/7000?

The old d5000 used to have build quality issue on the cup attachment pivot but it seems have been fixed when the d7000 was released.
But still this pivot looks really frail and a single accident would probably be the end of that part
tongue.gif
. I don't think they would fit in the best build quality headphone category.

Feb 5, 2010 at 2:05 PM Post #21 of 37
If the build quality is important hd 25 1 is absolute king ! Have them for 7 years and they dont have a scratch , they are like new. For fun, have twisted headband for nearly 180 degrees and nothing
very_evil_smiley.gif

Opposite are denons d2000 ! Easy scratchable and have flimsy feel they are horrible !

Feb 5, 2010 at 2:19 PM Post #22 of 37
When I asked the question I was thinking more along the lines of both superb build and desirability, without superflous over-design.... so I guess the question is "What is the Swiss watch of audiophile headphones?"

Feb 5, 2010 at 4:40 PM Post #24 of 37
Another vote for the Shure SRH-840's, I replaced my Grados with these and the difference is night and day. I don't think I could break if I tried!

...Well, maybe if I tried hard enough
smily_headphones1.gif

Feb 5, 2010 at 5:20 PM Post #25 of 37
I think the Edition 8's are very well built. They look great with a lot of precision and obvious care in their construction. They're more durable than initially meets the eye. The K702's have one concern, IMO. Those plastic strips that assist with the headband adjustment seems like a problem waiting to happen. Otherwise, they aren't bad.

Feb 5, 2010 at 8:02 PM Post #26 of 37
Quote:

Originally Posted by Uncle Erik /img/forum/go_quote.gif
The Grado HP-1000 series have amazing build quality, but they're not easy to come by.

The Beyerdynamic DT48, however, is still available. They have machined aluminum cups and are built to withstand air raids, tornados and the rage of angry ex-girlfriends. Nothing in production compares.

If you are one of the select few who actually appreciates their sound, there is no more durable headphone on the market.

You forgot being run over by a car, as I read in one review.. DT48 still worked fine minus some cosmetic damage.. The most durable headphones are all for the professional market..DT48/HP1/2/DBI/Maestro/Some AKG's..

Feb 5, 2010 at 9:32 PM Post #27 of 37
for some of us, i think this question is slightly benign. At one point, i had over 70 pair of headphones so i never got to the satge where build qulaity was much of an issue. The Shure earphones have a bit of a bad reputation, but becasue i have (had) over 25 pairs of IEM's, i never really got to get to experience this.

I feel confident with the build quality of my Ultrasone's, if i had to choose a 'reliable' brand. I love my Sennheiser HD25-1's becasue of the modualr design, every piece can be replaced. That's not to sya they've given me a trouble free. I've had to replace my cable, head band cushion and ear pads. However they are 13 years old, and up until 3 years ago, I only had ... 4 pairs of headphones (pre head-fi) and they were my only pair, so they saw a lot of action.

But as a brand, so far I'd say the Fullsize Ultrasone's I trust.

Feb 5, 2010 at 9:42 PM Post #28 of 37
DBIs and German Maestros... built like tanks.

Feb 5, 2010 at 9:54 PM Post #29 of 37
Quote:

Originally Posted by JonathanHF /img/forum/go_quote.gif
I won't!
From what I heard the cracking comes from bending the headphone since
most users found them too tight on the head.
I only bended the metal parts and everything seems fine so far.
I hope it does not crack.

I have not tried the Beyers, but in my experience the durability of the HD600/650 is very good. I would have to give the nod to the 600 though, because of the paint-chipping problem on the 650's headband. This is not a durability problem, but a build quality issue that the HD600s do not have as they are not painted, but molded with carbon fiber.

I agree that the cracking headband problem on both is a result of "operator abuse"
wink.gif

Feb 5, 2010 at 9:54 PM Post #30 of 37
The plastic Stax models can be creaky but there's a good reason why there are so many 20, 30, even 40 year old Stax headphones still around today, sounding as good as they ever did.

These are precision instruments. They're not going to withstand a nuclear blast but with proper care, they're going to last for a really long time.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back