CHIFI LOVE Thread-A never ending IEM-Heaphones-DAP-Dongles Sound Value Quest
May 3, 2021 at 4:20 PM Post #27,856 of 31,845
I have now given the KS1 100+ hours of pink noise burn-in.

https://www.head-fi.org/threads/free-burn-in-files.466827/

Frankly, I don't hear any difference.

The bass still has extra quantity but the pitch is clear. The vocals have presence, clearer than a lot of V-shaped IEMs I've heard--they did before burn-in. The soundstage isn't gigantic but it's not claustrophobic either.

I'm using an AK70 player, which should have decent amplification, so that may help. Also the semi-rigid BYEYZ silicone tips (driver flex though).

The player has EQ, and dialing down the bass a little makes a serious improvement.

Now that the KS1 are something like $12 (with discount coupon) on Amazon, seems like they'd be a great choice for anyone's hazardous-duty IEMs, especially bassheads. And what the heck, if you hate them you've still got a 2-pin cable to use on another set.
Agree KS1 for basshead. Or maybe they have surprisingly huge unit variable, I can’t say KS1 sounds anywhere near DQ6.

May 3, 2021 at 4:27 PM Post #27,857 of 31,845
I have now given the KS1 100+ hours of pink noise burn-in.

https://www.head-fi.org/threads/free-burn-in-files.466827/

Frankly, I don't hear any difference.

The bass still has extra quantity but the pitch is clear. The vocals have presence, clearer than a lot of V-shaped IEMs I've heard--they did before burn-in. The soundstage isn't gigantic but it's not claustrophobic either.

I'm using an AK70 player, which should have decent amplification, so that may help. Also the semi-rigid BYEYZ silicone tips (driver flex though).

The player has EQ, and dialing down the bass a little makes a serious improvement.

Now that the KS1 are something like $12 (with discount coupon) on Amazon, seems like they'd be a great choice for anyone's hazardous-duty IEMs, especially bassheads. And what the heck, if you hate them you've still got a 2-pin cable to use on another set.
My KS1 arrived Saturday. I got it with the coupon on amazon for $12 and some change. I use it for exactly what you say....it's my new work IEM and I love the extra bass....great bargain.

May 3, 2021 at 4:27 PM Post #27,858 of 31,845
Agree KS1 for basshead. Or maybe they have surprisingly huge unit variable, I can’t say KS1 sounds anywhere near DQ6.

They couldn't even provide the F1 with the same driver so unit variance is a distinct possibility...

May 3, 2021 at 5:45 PM Post #27,859 of 31,845
You can find recorded sigunature recording in this comparative review for FH3 / Starsea /Yume. So you can actually listen to how those IEM reproducing the music samples through simulated dummy heads and ear canals.
https://kxat2lldqnjdqpzaoc5vz3o7cq-...og/review/chi-fi-earphone-recording-review-4/
A3181254-B0AF-4303-B23B-F1CCC283A957.png

By the way I have FH3’s simpler composition EA3(it’s FH1’s repackaging) . That made me an awful impression so I decided to stay away from FiiO IEMs. FiiO is good for DAP/Amps, not IEM to me personally.
i did not know ea3 was fh3's simpler composition as you mentioned. maybe i can get the EA3 and see what it is like. starsea also caught my attention recently. but i wasnt aware that they are neutral. would you care to point out something that leans more into a warm sound that has a good amount of clarity without sounding piercing in this price range?

May 3, 2021 at 6:28 PM Post #27,860 of 31,845
i did not know ea3 was fh3's simpler composition as you mentioned. maybe i can get the EA3 and see what it is like. starsea also caught my attention recently. but i wasnt aware that they are neutral. would you care to point out something that leans more into a warm sound that has a good amount of clarity without sounding piercing in this price range?
Any genre in particular?
I borrowed my brothers starseas to compare them with my daily drivers nf audio na2.

May 3, 2021 at 6:49 PM Post #27,862 of 31,845
EA3 = FH1s

May 3, 2021 at 8:46 PM Post #27,864 of 31,845
Hello everyone, I just tried something new, more comprehensive sound signature recordings with comparative review for IEMs.

At least you can tell how roughly each IEM would sound like. All used with stock cable and same eartips that I found suitable for recording. All recorded with same song and same settings/volumes.

062A7A46-2492-40E3-815C-3AE8C0E5B46B.jpeg

4CA7E76A-D588-4375-852C-E6B68107F8E7.png

KB EAR KS1 sound signature♪ Jazz
KB EAR Lark sound signature♪Jazz
KZ EDX sound signature♪ Jazz
KZ DQ6 sound signature♪Jazz

some testing is done with Moondrop Blessing2 sound signature♪ Jazz

I would suggest listening to it with neutral reference, for which in this series, KB Ear Lark is closer to neutral (it's bright natural-ish)
At least this would help to have a common standing point.

Unfortunately, CSN is missing, will add it when I find it.

I will add Starsea when it gets delivered and after I burn it in✌️

Last edited:
May 3, 2021 at 9:23 PM Post #27,865 of 31,845
Hello everyone, I just tried something new, more comprehensive sound signature recordings with comparative review for IEMs.

At least you can tell how roughly each IEM would sound like. All used with stock cable and same eartips that I found suitable for recording. All recorded with same song and same settings/volumes.

062A7A46-2492-40E3-815C-3AE8C0E5B46B.jpeg
4CA7E76A-D588-4375-852C-E6B68107F8E7.png

KB EAR KS1 sound signature♪ Jazz
KB EAR Lark sound signature♪Jazz
KZ EDX sound signature♪ Jazz
KZ DQ6 sound signature♪Jazz

some testing is done with Moondrop Blessing2 sound signature♪ Jazz

I would suggest listening to it with neutral reference, for which in this series, KB Ear Lark is closer to neutral (it's bright natural-ish)
At least this would help to have a common standing point.

Unfortunately, CSN is missing, will add it when I find it.

I will add Starsea when it gets delivered and after I burn it in✌️

Starsea has 4 tuning signatures, so it is gonna be a bit tough to compare against the various permutations, but look forward to your review!

May 3, 2021 at 9:26 PM Post #27,866 of 31,845
I haven't heard Starsea yet, it's still on the trip from Shenzhen to USA... a long one (1month?), from my understanding, Starsea is not on the coolest sid & it has neutral tuning, that's why it caught my attention as it's basically a mini-64 audio U12t. And many reviewers said it's the best value to price for 2021. Your warm and clear sound preference reminds me of See Audio Yume although that's $169, a pretty harsh target compared to Starsea's 129(on sale 107).

Last edited:
May 3, 2021 at 9:27 PM Post #27,867 of 31,845
Starsea has 4 tuning signatures, so it is gonna be a bit tough to compare against the various permutations, but look forward to your review!
lol will do all 4 tunings!

May 3, 2021 at 11:36 PM Post #27,868 of 31,845
Sadly my only KBEar is Opal which I got for $8 as part of Nicehck lucky bag🤣🤣🤣 and it is by far my worst purchase by comfortably beating Sennheiser CX275s 😅

Maybe I will try one of their mid-fi offerings like Starsea or some sequel to Believe.
That would be Starshine, Wendy said no Believe, beryllium driver went up in price

May 4, 2021 at 12:00 AM Post #27,869 of 31,845
That would be Starshine, Wendy said no Believe, beryllium driver went up in price
Let's not derail this thread by having a discussion as to what is and isn't mid-fi!!!
Yes, Shine is the middle priced item of the the Tri Star trio, above Sea and below Light

May 4, 2021 at 12:27 AM Post #27,870 of 31,845
Let's not derail this thread by having a discussion as to what is and isn't mid-fi!!!
Yes, Shine is the middle priced item of the the Tri Star trio, above Sea and below Light
oh lol yeah... Shine is $500
recent price up of beryllium will make Believe no. 2 in the upper mid tier...

Users who are viewing this thread

Back