CHIFI LOVE Thread-A never ending IEM-Heaphones-DAP-Dongles Sound Value Quest
Jan 17, 2021 at 5:34 PM Post #26,986 of 31,833
Got the Moondrop SSP finally (I ordered it over 2 months ago).

It has the same great build and fit of the SSR, except with more low end. It also sounds like the SSP upper mids are dialed back a tad, but I don’t remember seeing that on the FR graph comparison with the SSR. So it could be a result of the bass being lifted.

Either way, the SSP has a darker presentation which should please the complainers of the SSR.

This sample track (Mongolian throat rock, courtesy of the Wu) sounds great on the SSP, and will have you playing air guitar and pumping your fists in the air in no time:

Last edited:
Jan 17, 2021 at 6:09 PM Post #26,987 of 31,833

It has the same great build and fit of the SSR, except with more low end. It also sounds like the SSP upper mids are dialed back a tad, but I don’t remember seeing that on the FR graph comparison with the SSR. So it could be a result of the bass being lifted.

Either way, the SSP had a darker presentation which should please the complainers of the SSR.

This sample track (Mongolian throat rock, courtesy of the Wu) sounds great on the SSP, and will have you playing air guitar and pumping your fists in the air in no time:

Yeah man. That is wild. Like a heavy version of the Tuvan group Yat-Kha. Brilliant.

Jan 17, 2021 at 6:35 PM Post #26,988 of 31,833
Yeah man. That is wild. Like a heavy version of the Tuvan group Yat-Kha. Brilliant.

It just goes to show you that no matter where we each come from (geographically, socially, economically, etc), music can connect us all :)

Jan 17, 2021 at 8:52 PM Post #26,989 of 31,833

Either way, the SSP has a darker presentation which should please the complainers of the SSR.

Which of the two do you prefer?

Jan 18, 2021 at 3:09 AM Post #26,990 of 31,833
Which of the two do you prefer?

I like them both, but for different reasons.

The SSR has a clean reference tuning that is very difficult if not impossible to find in the budget segment. This fact alone makes them unique and rare for those looking to add something interesting to their budget earphone collection.

But I do love my bass, so for the genres of music that I listen to I personally prefer the SSP. I don’t listen to orchestral or classical music, but of I did, I would go with the SSR.

Note that I never found the SSR ‘super shouty’ like some people call it. I don’t crank the volume way up either, which I assume is what causes the complaints (ie Fletcher Munson curve). I listen at a safe and comfortable level; not too loud and not too quiet.

Regardless, they are both equally impressive. They are well built, beautiful design, good fit, nice accessories, and it’s clear that both are using quality dynamic drivers.

I don’t think you could go wrong with either though.

Last edited:
Jan 18, 2021 at 3:18 AM Post #26,991 of 31,833
I like them both, but for different reasons.

The SSR has a clean reference tuning that is very difficult if not impossible to find in the budget segment.

I love my bass, so for the genres of music that I listen to I personally prefer the SSP. I don’t listen to orchestral or classical music, but of I did, I would go with the SSR.

Note that I never found the SSR ‘super shouty’ like some people call it. I don’t crank the volume way up either, which I assume is what causes the complaints (ie Fletcher Munson curve). I listen at a safe and comfortable level; not too loud and not too quiet.

You pretty much summed up my thoughts exactly :) I didn't find the SSR super shouty either, and I listen at relatively low volumes too. But the SSP adds just enough low-end weight over the SSR that makes the SSP preferable for the kinds of music that I tend to listen to (i.e. not classical).

Jan 18, 2021 at 6:47 PM Post #26,993 of 31,833
Are any of these good for wearing while sleeping (comfortable)?
Moondrop SSR & SSP are really tiny IEMs (much smaller in reality than what photos would suggest, so I think you can assume they will stay flush in your ears, unless you have very small ones. As always in this hobby, YMMV. :relaxed:

Jan 18, 2021 at 8:38 PM Post #26,994 of 31,833
Are any of these good for wearing while sleeping (comfortable)?

The SSR and SSP do not protrude from my ear at all (in fact they have a recessed fit), do not have any sharp edges, and have a flat backplate. So they are by far the most comfortable IEM I've ever come across for sleeping :)

Jan 19, 2021 at 12:34 AM Post #26,995 of 31,833
Hey, I want to thank you all here for a great discussion where everyone's opinions are appreciated. It's rare these days to have such discussions without drama or personal emotions to get mixed up with actual topic. I've been long time lurker in head-fi and due to this thread I just had to create account and really say I'm really happy I ended reading this thread and seeing your posts here(!) :sparkling_heart:

It's amazing how good quality sound you can get with ~100$ (or even for lot less). What that has caused is that I have re-found my love for the music, all of its small nuances and its emotions. Inspired by the discussion here I set up limit of 100$ to spent in iems to see how good they actually are.

I bought Tin Hifi T2+, HZSound Mirror and Blon BL-03 (I run them from Sonata HD Pro -> Schiit Magni 3+ ->). Reason why I chose those was the I wanted to get three different sounding iem's to actually see what I really want and prefer.
  • Blon BL-03 - For the money they're good since you can get them around 20$, still bass bleeding to mids is too much for me. Least used of the bunch.
  • HZSound Mirror - Complete opposite of BL-03, clarity and energy in mids & treble are magical but sound stage and bass are lacking. I'm using these with acoustic music and songs where bass doesn't play big role.
  • T2+ - Everything sounds good on these, they do everything better than BL-03 but are missing energy and clarify of HZSound Mirrors. Sound stage is wide and instrumental positioning is good. They are neutral but in my books that's only a good thing, since you hear the music as it was intended.
What I also noticed is that dac/amp playing big role in sq. For example Sonata HD Pro sounds so much cleaner than my old Fiio E07K that at the beginning I could not believe it. Anyways, each of those are easily worth the value and they all sound good, when I compare the chi-fi I used to have 10 years ago. They're actually so good that I don't know if its worth to pay more but as most of here know rabbit hole gets deeper and I'm already looking into next steps.

Talking about next steps, I want something neutral that's next step from T2+ and currently I'm thinking between Fiio FH3, Moondrop Starfield and NICEHCK NX7 mk3, any opinions on these? I know these are on fence of sub 100$ but I think many here have gone through this :)

Hi Sinuhe,

greeting... and nice to know you...

I myself is a long head-fi member but stay passive most of the time... You are right that this group thread is one of the most behaving good in Head-Fi; hopefully stay like that.

I'm glad to read that you compared these phones... I personally use Blon BL03 nowadays (and MH755. My other IEMs (LZA2, Yamaha EPH100, Fiio FH1) are failing) and looking for some improvement model or alternative/side model. In fact I also have my shortlist (IT00, HZSound, FH3 and KBear Believe).

Have you try to use equalize Heart Mirror to increase the bass on them? I wonder how much the bass on Heart Mirror could be pushed up (but still safe) to be closer to Blon BL03. If I borrow baskingshark review, he mentioned that Heart Mirror could take equalization very well.. (@baskingshark, wonder if you could add something too, here...)

Thanks

Jan 19, 2021 at 12:47 AM Post #26,996 of 31,833
Hi Sinuhe,

greeting... and nice to know you...

I myself is a long head-fi member but stay passive most of the time... You are right that this group thread is one of the most behaving good in Head-Fi; hopefully stay like that.

I'm glad to read that you compared these phones... I personally use Blon BL03 nowadays (and MH755. My other IEMs (LZA2, Yamaha EPH100, Fiio FH1) are failing) and looking for some improvement model or alternative/side model. In fact I also have my shortlist (IT00, HZSound, FH3 and KBear Believe).

Have you try to use equalize Heart Mirror to increase the bass on them? I wonder how much the bass on Heart Mirror could be pushed up (but still safe) to be closer to Blon BL03. If I borrow baskingshark review, he mentioned that Heart Mirror could take equalization very well.. (@baskingshark, wonder if you could add something too, here...)

Thanks

I haven't tried FH3, but if you want an improvement over the BLON BL-03, then u can consider the IT00. IT00 has better technical performance and fit, though it has quite bad driver flex. IT00 has better extension at both ends (treble/subbass) and less midbass bloat than the BL-03. Isolation is also better on IT00.

As for KBEAR BElieve, that is more U shaped than the harmanish BLON BL-03, BElieve has thinner note weight than the analoguish BLON BL-03. BElieve is very hard to drive so that's one thing to consider, whether u have an appropriate amp (it is not about just increasing the volume on a low powered source, but that u lose dynamics, bass tightness, soundstage and layering without an amp). BElieve has better technicalities when amped, and fit/isolation is better. BElieve also takes to EQ like a champ, no problem giving a 10 dB boost to the bass, there is minimal distortion there.

For HZSound Heart Mirror, that is a totally different sound signature from the BLON BL-03. The Heart Mirror is neutralish bright and bass lite compared to the BLON BL-03. HZ Heart Mirror also needs amping, it sounds meh from a smartphone, but isn't as power hungry as the BElieve. Still, if you don't have an amp, it might be wiser to consider alternative options than the Heart Mirror. Heart Mirror has much better fit/isolation, transients, timbre, technicalities than the BLON BL-03 with amping, perhaps it loses to the BLON BL-03 in the area of soundstage only. Heart Mirror takes to EQ very well in the bass, minimal distortion. Generally, I try to EQ down rather than up, but I haven't tried EQing the Heart Mirror to be harmanish with a midbass bump (like the BLON BL-03), so maybe later I'll try it.

Jan 19, 2021 at 2:33 AM Post #26,997 of 31,833
I haven't tried FH3, but if you want an improvement over the BLON BL-03, then u can consider the IT00. IT00 has better technical performance and fit, though it has quite bad driver flex. IT00 has better extension at both ends (treble/subbass) and less midbass bloat than the BL-03. Isolation is also better on IT00.

As for KBEAR BElieve, that is more U shaped than the harmanish BLON BL-03, BElieve has thinner note weight than the analoguish BLON BL-03. BElieve is very hard to drive so that's one thing to consider, whether u have an appropriate amp (it is not about just increasing the volume on a low powered source, but that u lose dynamics, bass tightness, soundstage and layering without an amp). BElieve has better technicalities when amped, and fit/isolation is better. BElieve also takes to EQ like a champ, no problem giving a 10 dB boost to the bass, there is minimal distortion there.

For HZSound Heart Mirror, that is a totally different sound signature from the BLON BL-03. The Heart Mirror is neutralish bright and bass lite compared to the BLON BL-03. HZ Heart Mirror also needs amping, it sounds meh from a smartphone, but isn't as power hungry as the BElieve. Still, if you don't have an amp, it might be wiser to consider alternative options than the Heart Mirror. Heart Mirror has much better fit/isolation, transients, timbre, technicalities than the BLON BL-03 with amping, perhaps it loses to the BLON BL-03 in the area of soundstage only. Heart Mirror takes to EQ very well in the bass, minimal distortion. Generally, I try to EQ down rather than up, but I haven't tried EQing the Heart Mirror to be harmanish with a midbass bump (like the BLON BL-03), so maybe later I'll try it.

Hi Bas,

Thanks a lot for your feedback... IT00, Believe and Heart Mirror are my really preferred options. I'll give it more thought then...

I forgot to mention... I have Qudelix 5K, Khadas Toneboard and Topping L30; which I saw you also the last two. Eq-ing down should be easy with 5K PEQ. Power should not an issue with L30... though I have to admit, I don't think I like the idea of using IEM with desktop amp. So my expectation is to use IEM with 5K; especially after I found that it sounds better than my LG V20 and also portability is much better with it.. (5K BT sensitivity is crazily good... with LDAC 660Kbps, 10 meter away passing through 2 x 15cm brick walls from my phone). Though still I'm inclined to Believe, thinking it to be my end of game single driver... I'm more worry with Beryllium poisonous characteristics...

EDIT: Bas, do you mind to try EQ Heart Mirror to U sound (Oratory)... somehow, my Blon BL03 to me does not really sound like Harmanish but more like U shapped contour

Thanks

Last edited:
Jan 19, 2021 at 5:08 AM Post #26,998 of 31,833
The SSR and SSP do not protrude from my ear at all (in fact they have a recessed fit), do not have any sharp edges, and have a flat backplate. So they are by far the most comfortable IEM I've ever come across for sleeping :)

I may have to try the SSP....I have been looking for something that may fit recessed in my ear...I am assuming this is my best option for that ?

Jan 19, 2021 at 8:29 AM Post #26,999 of 31,833
Hi Bas,

Thanks a lot for your feedback... IT00, Believe and Heart Mirror are my really preferred options. I'll give it more thought then...

I forgot to mention... I have Qudelix 5K, Khadas Toneboard and Topping L30; which I saw you also the last two. Eq-ing down should be easy with 5K PEQ. Power should not an issue with L30... though I have to admit, I don't think I like the idea of using IEM with desktop amp. So my expectation is to use IEM with 5K; especially after I found that it sounds better than my LG V20 and also portability is much better with it.. (5K BT sensitivity is crazily good... with LDAC 660Kbps, 10 meter away passing through 2 x 15cm brick walls from my phone). Though still I'm inclined to Believe, thinking it to be my end of game single driver... I'm more worry with Beryllium poisonous characteristics...

EDIT: Bas, do you mind to try EQ Heart Mirror to U sound (Oratory)... somehow, my Blon BL03 to me does not really sound like Harmanish but more like U shapped contour

Thanks

Hi friend, I've tried EQing the HZSound Heart Mirror to be similar to the BLON BL-03, using these graphs (credit to KopiOKaya from Audioreviews):
HZSound Heart Mirror.jpg

BLON BL-03 to BL-05S graph.jpg

So, the HZSound Heart Mirror really takes to EQ like a champ, it can actually take quite a lot of bass boost with minimal distortion. However, doing so does add a lot of midbass bleed/bloat and the bass impinges into the mids and kills the mids. The HZSound Heart Mirror is actually a very good set for midlovers in stock tuning, as it manages to bring a forward vocals/mids without harshness to the table, which is a very difficult fine line to balance. So guitars and vocals really sound superb in transients, layering, transparency and timbre for the mids in the stock form. EQing it to the BLON BL-03's signature really negates its strengths and adds negatives (midbass bleed).

So my 2 cents is that it is better to use an IEMs for its strengths, rather than EQing it into something it wasn't meant to be. If u want a harmanish sound, best to look for an alternative set than the Heart Mirror, finding a harmanish/V shaped set in the budget segment is very easy. But finding a budget neutralish bright set that is not shouty in the upper mids (as per run of the mill CHIFI tuning) is much harder to find, and the Heart Mirror is this set.

I am a basshead, and the Heart Mirror is bass lite. But I still keep the Heart Mirror in my weekly rotation simply cause of the great tuning that brings different things to the table.

Anyways, KopiOKaya has done some filter mods to make the Heart Mirror sound like the BLON BL-05S: https://www.facebook.com/groups/audioreviews/permalink/4708931849147089/
Quite an interesting concept that doesn't use EQ per se, but still gets it to be a less V shaped tuning ie closer to a U shape which u wanted. And IMO the BLON BL-05S has better tonality than the BLON BL-03, simply cause the midbass isn't as bloated as the stock BL-03 tuning.

Jan 19, 2021 at 3:46 PM Post #27,000 of 31,833
I may have to try the SSP....I have been looking for something that may fit recessed in my ear...I am assuming this is my best option for that ?

Obviously everyone's anatomy is different, but in my case the SSR/SSP over ear cable stops them from being flush/recessed.

The ones that I did find to "disappear" inside my ears were the Hifiman RE-400 and RE-600S.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back