CHIFI LOVE Thread-A never ending IEM-Heaphones-DAP-Dongles Sound Value Quest
Jan 1, 2021 at 3:47 PM Post #26,851 of 31,833
I would say $19 Apple EarPods with Lightning connector is a very solid pair of IEM for daily use, even for some music listening. It is no longer the content in the box for every iPhone, but that doesn't mean it is bad.

I'm going to stick my head above the parapet here and say I've never actually listened to the Earpods...

However, the beauty of Chi-Fi is that there are some real gems at a fraction of the cost of "name" IEMs. Amp-dependent, the Blon BL01 sounds better by basically every metric than my Sennheiser IE60s that originally retailed for £150, and while not being in any way great, were fairly solid for the money.

Given Apple's historic tendency with other hardware to use sub-par hardware but incredible design and user focus to be competitive, I'd expect the likes of the KZ EDX, the NICEHCK DB3 and other bargain-basement champions to be several leagues ahead in SQ to the earpods.

If you have a pair of Earpods and you're happy with them, that's great. You do you man. I think I'll stick with my kit.

Jan 1, 2021 at 6:01 PM Post #26,852 of 31,833
TBH Tequila is quite outclassed by some modern day CHIFI releases. It came out 2 - 3 years back, and in just a few months, things do get obsolete, that's how fast the CHIFI train moves (not to say the old gear is always inferior to new releases, but IMHO the Tequila didn't age that well).

Tequila has a very good soundstage, V shaped, basshead set. But the bass isn't tight, and technicalities are below average. I find it quite muddy actually. Timbre and tonality are okay. If u can get it at $60ish during sales (that's what I paid) then that's quite a good deal, but I wouldn't pay the $120ish list price for it for sure, many better sets around $100ish that can trump it.

Thanks, I didn't know that. Maybe the TFZ Live 3 is a better sub-$100 TFZ for today. For the OP question, it has supposedly good bass and is clear.

Given how Chi-Fi IEMs might age differently, how would you say the TRI i3 has aged? Relative to something like the FH3? I think the i3 came out in 2019.

Jan 1, 2021 at 7:14 PM Post #26,853 of 31,833
D...................................T...................................6.
Man, im still so Wowed by these!
Cant say the same with Blon...

Oh, and the Moondrop SSP I just receive just cant compete against them too.

About SSP, i'm extremely impress by construction and design and prefer to touch it and look at it than listening at it. It's a hollow mature tuning with extra bass slam that lack definition. Thumpy darkish version of Moondrop Starfield if we can say. Imaging is poor. Attack lack snap. Timbre is good but lack texture. Tonality is nice. Soundstage is intimate and small. Vocal-mids are recessed and warmed by bass. Treble isnt sparkly. Their a dangerous lack of air that affect overall clarity.

Jan 1, 2021 at 8:18 PM Post #26,854 of 31,833
Thanks, I didn't know that. Maybe the TFZ Live 3 is a better sub-$100 TFZ for today. For the OP question, it has supposedly good bass and is clear.

Given how Chi-Fi IEMs might age differently, how would you say the TRI i3 has aged? Relative to something like the FH3? I think the i3 came out in 2019.

Sorry I haven't tried the FH3, but for sure the TRI I3 is still competitive with modern day releases.

It released around end of 2019 as you say, so it isn't that old by CHIFI standards. KBEAR even released a 2 pin version of this (purportedly with identical tuning) a few weeks back, so probably demand is still strong. TRI I3's special selling point is (when amped) the lush planar mids and good soundstage at this price point, it is still rather unique compared to the usual multi driver technical monstrosity or the harmanish tuned gear, which are dime a dozen.

Jan 1, 2021 at 10:59 PM Post #26,855 of 31,833
Over 100 hours now on the Openheart resin IEMs. They are sounding amazing. Very well balanced with wonderful layering and separation. Try this if you have them, magical. And what a recording!

The more I listen to the Openhearts, the more I like them. The sound is clean and balanced, with punchy bass and a very small upper midrange bump. It’s nothing too much though, just enough to give female vocals a boost.

They also fit my ears PERFECTLY with the TRN BT20 adapters, which makes them perfect on the go Bluetooth use due to their awesome isolation.

They are easily worth the low price, and would make excellent stage monitors.

Last edited:
Jan 1, 2021 at 11:23 PM Post #26,856 of 31,833
D...................................T...................................6.
Man, im still so Wowed by these!
Cant say the same with Blon...

Oh, and the Moondrop SSP I just receive just cant compete against them too.

About SSP, i'm extremely impress by construction and design and prefer to touch it and look at it than listening at it. It's a hollow mature tuning with extra bass slam that lack definition. Thumpy darkish version of Moondrop Starfield if we can say. Imaging is poor. Attack lack snap. Timbre is good but lack texture. Tonality is nice. Soundstage is intimate and small. Vocal-mids are recessed and warmed by bass. Treble isnt sparkly. Their a dangerous lack of air that affect overall clarity.
I agree with your assessment of SSP...that is why mine went back to Amazon yesterday....I expected more for 40 bucks. Not that they were terrible, just not my cup of tea...

Jan 1, 2021 at 11:24 PM Post #26,857 of 31,833
I agree with your assessment of SSP...that is why mine went back to Amazon yesterday....I expected more for 40 bucks. Not that they were terrible, just not my cup of tea...

Did you ever try the SSR?

Jan 1, 2021 at 11:27 PM Post #26,858 of 31,833
The more I listen to the Openhearts, the more I like them. The sound is clean and balanced, with punchy bass and a very small upper midrange bump. It’s nothing too much though, just enough to give female vocals a boost.

They also fit my ears PERFECTLY with the TRN BT20 adapters, which makes them perfect on the go Bluetooth use due to their awesome isolation.

They are easily worth the low price, and would make excellent stage monitors.
Pressing Buy NOW!

Jan 1, 2021 at 11:36 PM Post #26,860 of 31,833
Did not try SSR due to comments of anemic bass. I am a basshead within reason.

Ah yeah, if you’re a basshead then I can see why you wouldn’t like them. If someone gave you the idea that SSP was basshead, you got incorrect information. SSP is just a reference-tuned SSR, with a small bass bump of a few dB that fills in some of the low frequencies. Neither of them would satisfy a basshead.

When I’m in a kicking’ basshead mood, I reach for something like the TFZ No 3, Focus EDM, Urbanfun YBF-ISS014 beryllium, KZ ZS7, KZ ZS4, ibasso IT01, or BQEYZ K2.

Last edited:
Jan 1, 2021 at 11:42 PM Post #26,861 of 31,833
Pressing Buy NOW!

For its price, it’s a ridiculous deal. You get a nice cable, nice case, decent selection of tips, cable organizer, and nice solid resin earphones.

Note they are mmcx though. If you’d rather have 2-pin (QDC) you need to get the Tianhirendre version. But I’ve had no issues with the openheart mmcx. They’re good quality mmcx connectors from what I can see.

Jan 2, 2021 at 12:03 AM Post #26,862 of 31,833
Ah yeah, if you’re a basshead then I can see why you wouldn’t like them. If someone gave you the idea that SSP was basshead, you got incorrect information. SSP is just a reference-tuned SSR, with a small bass bump of a few dB that fills in some of the low frequencies. Neither of them would satisfy a basshead.

When I’m in a kicking’ basshead mood, I reach for something like the TFZ No 3, Focus EDM, Urbanfun YBF-ISS014 beryllium, KZ ZS7, KZ ZS4, ibasso IT01, or BQEYZ K2.
Delete Double Post

Last edited:
Jan 2, 2021 at 12:14 AM Post #26,863 of 31,833

I do like my bass but I prefer quality over quantity. I have UF ybf beryllium, which I love, ZS7, IT01, K2.. etc..etc..etc... Love Blon 03 & 01.. My biggest beef with SSP was volume level.. Even amping didn't get me to the level I needed.. Otherwise they sounded great. However nowadays I am measuring against my 16 dollar BL01... Just can't justify SSP at 40... Gonna try Open-heart Resin.. Also got my eye on MT300.... Thanks for all your help along with certain other members that I follow when they recommend a set.

Jan 2, 2021 at 12:24 AM Post #26,864 of 31,833
I do like my bass but I prefer quality over quantity. I have UF ybf beryllium, which I love, ZS7, IT01, K2.. etc..etc..etc... Love Blon 03 & 01.. My biggest beef with SSP was volume level.. Even amping didn't get me to the level I needed.. Otherwise they sounded great. However nowadays I am measuring against my 16 dollar BL01... Just can't justify SSP at 40... Gonna try Open-heart Resin.. Also got my eye on MT300.... Thanks for all your help along with certain other members that I follow when they recommend a set.

I should mention that I don’t have the BL01, but I do have the BL03 (which I like), and the BL05 (non-s, which is ok but nothing special).

I too have been eyeing the MT300. Everyone who has it seems to like it.

Jan 2, 2021 at 12:32 AM Post #26,865 of 31,833
I do like my bass but I prefer quality over quantity.

Hi guys, newbie here. Been silent reader for about early KZ hype.
I often look this statement quality>quantity about bass but doesn't really get it. Is the BL-03 bass qualify on this? Still keeping my BL-03, but already broke the left side.
Really missed them, but the troublesome fitment keep me away from buying new one.

Last edited:

Users who are viewing this thread

• Back