CHIFI LOVE Thread-A never ending IEM-Heaphones-DAP-Dongles Sound Value Quest
Jan 3, 2020 at 8:32 PM Post #22,381 of 31,833
Happy New Years everybody!
Be safe....waited a month but got **** pros yesterday...wow..what a great iem for $24! I’m buying more colors...lol.
Ed
Yeah, I really love the **** Pro. Went back to listening to them recently and they're even better than I remembered. A true steal at $24.
Btw, you listen to a lot of the same psytrance artists I do.

Jan 3, 2020 at 8:33 PM Post #22,382 of 31,833
thanks for your input. Well lifeless isn’t good. But I must say if you like the Blon03 then maybe we simply have very different tastes.
Because I really do not care for the Blons. They sound sort of muddy to me, and unclear.
Maybe because I’m old I don’t get bothered by a little treble. My high frequency hearing is probably diminishing.
if you’re young then maybe BAs sound too sibilant for you? Possibly?

Just wanted to say that I love the Blons and Im 19 but my friend that is the same age doesnt really think they are special. The T800 is sibilant to me but not to him. So I believe it is just a personal preference thing more than age.

If it will reverse the hearing damage and tinnitus caused by too much loud music and crashing cars for a hobby then I am definitely all for it.

Unless the implants are by Beats. They can keep those.

Well, speaking of being old (or young) and how that can affect one's taste in enjoyment of music (and preference for certain IEMs), I am jus' 'bout 41, and I have tinnitus and some loss around 6000 kHz in the left ear. If you are young, please protect your hearing! I swear - please wear earplugs at concerts and around loud machinery and stuff. I remember how amused I was at my first rock concert (Veruca Salt on the American Thighs tour) about how the loud music kinda' made my ears feel funny and how my friend and I had a threshold shift (muffled hearing) after the show and had to yell at each other to talk. Stupid. Loud concerts eventually didn't have as much of an effect, but that was because I was damaging my ears. The hearing loss and tinnitus means that I often have to ask others to repeat themselves, and I have a real hard time with conversations in loud restaurants or bars.

That said, some hearing loss will not effect one's enjoyment of music. My old boss was in his 60s and had these big honking hearing aids in both ears. He is a "Deadhead" type of guy and was always going to music festivals with his wife, it seemed like just about every other weekend. He was always like "Well, I'm gonna take this Friday off too, because I am headed up to XYZ festival".

I think there has been some research about the brain filling in for missing sounds in music as hearing declines somehow. Sorry, i just have a vague sense of remembering reading about this. When I listen to music, it is usually at a volume that drowns out the ringing in my ears completely, But yeah, maybe I am not as sensitive to sibilance because of my age and slight hearing loss as @Solar1971 suggests.

I gotta say, though, ringing in the ears can be super annoying at other times. I do hope, as @Tonymac136 suggested, they develop technology to correct this in my lifetime. If you are young, like @RikudouGoku , please protect your hearing. Wear earplugs - 80 or 85 dB is plenty loud enough to enjoy any music IMHO.

Last edited:
Jan 3, 2020 at 9:09 PM Post #22,383 of 31,833
Well, speaking of being old (or young) and how that can affect one's taste in enjoyment of music (and preference for certain IEMs), I am jus' 'bout 41, and I have tinnitus and some loss around 6000 kHz in the left ear. If you are young, please protect your hearing! I swear - please wear earplugs and concerts and around loud machinery and stuff. I remember how amused I was at my first rock concert (Veruca Salt on the American Thighs tour) about how the loud music kinda' made my ears feel fully and how my friend and I had a threshold shift (muffled hearing) after the show and had to yell at each other to talk. Stupid. Loud concerts eventually didn't have as much of an effect, but that was because I was damaging my ears. The hearing loss and tinnitus means that I often have to ask others to repeat themselves, and I have a real hard time in conversations in loud restaurants or bars.

That said, some hearing loss will not effect one's enjoyment of music. My old boss was in his 60s and had these big hawking hearing aids in both ears. He is a "Deadhead" type of guy and was always going to music festivals with his wife, it seemed like just about every other weekend. He was always like "Well, I'm gonna take this Friday off too, because I am headed up to XYZ festival".

I think there has been some research about the brain filling in for missing sounds in music as hearing declines somehow. Sorry, i just have a vague sense of remembering reading about this. When I listen to music, it is usually at a volume that drowns out the ringing in my ears completely, But yeah, maybe I am not as sensitive to sibilance because of my age and slight hearing loss as @Solar1971 suggests.

I gotta say, though that ringing in the ears can be super annoying at other times though. I do hope, as @Tonymac136 suggested, they develop technology to correct this in my lifetime. If you are young, like @RikudouGoku , please protect your hearing. Wear earplugs - 80 or 85 dB is plenty loud enough to enjoy any music IMHO.

Actually in my country, the recommendations are not more than 8 hours exposure at 85 dB to prevent irreversible hearing loss. It is kinda hard to know what is 85 dB when you are plugged into an IEM, though there are some rigs you can get invest in to measure SPL objectively with a dummy head.

I'm in my mid 30s now, been playing piano in a band for 15 years and only in the past 7 years or so have I used IEMs/closed headphones to protect hearing. Prior to that, we were not aware of hearing protection, and were young and naive and just jacked up the amps to have more fun. I think most band practices/concerts, the SPL could hit 100 - 120 dB, and I was always placed next to some subwoofer amps and full set acoustic drums and I had to jack my amp higher to override the drum and house volume. Some days I had ringing in my ears or had muffled hearing (as @MonoJon said, temporary threshold shift) after a band session.

I did an audiometry test last year and found out I had very mild high frequency hearing loss, semi consistent with age, and likely from all those band sessions when I was younger. And the audiologist said it was irreversible. For normal conversations and music appreciation it doesn't affect me, but hearing loss is irreversible, so please protect your hearing as @MonoJon says. I wished I knew about the importance of hearing protection when I was younger.

Nowadays, for travelling and band sessions, I am very careful about hearing protection. In particular, I only use IEMs with isolation of 20 dB and above, as these allow a lower volume of music to be played (and also lowers external noise from entering). Even at home, where it is more quiet, I try to resist the temptation to jack up the volume to get more details/kicks. I'm checking out some new tech for bone conduction earphones, which bypasses the eardrums, it's quite nascent and the sound isn't as good as normal earphones, but maybe in the future it can develop well enough to hit the same quality as conventional earphones/cans.

Jan 3, 2020 at 9:46 PM Post #22,384 of 31,833
It sounds like you are not aware of the worlds secret space program. Ever wonder why we didnt go back to the moon (if we did publically)? It all went to secret. Unless you know someone with a top secret clearance you're not going to know about it, anytime soon until for whatever reason they make it public, public.

Read parts of Bill Cooper's behold a pale horse. Most of it is boring crap buy some is really interesting... that's only one source.

PS: they give you real facts in movies but you think it's just Hollywood crap and it's fake but a lot of it is based on reality. How much? Who knows, but some of it is.
Clearly we haven't returned to the Moon because they're letting it burn in.

Jan 3, 2020 at 11:23 PM Post #22,385 of 31,833
Actually in my country, the recommendations are not more than 8 hours exposure at 85 dB to prevent irreversible hearing loss. It is kinda hard to know what is 85 dB when you are plugged into an IEM, though there are some rigs you can get invest in to measure SPL objectively with a dummy head.

I'm in my mid 30s now, been playing piano in a band for 15 years and only in the past 7 years or so have I used IEMs/closed headphones to protect hearing. Prior to that, we were not aware of hearing protection, and were young and naive and just jacked up the amps to have more fun. I think most band practices/concerts, the SPL could hit 100 - 120 dB, and I was always placed next to some subwoofer amps and full set acoustic drums and I had to jack my amp higher to override the drum and house volume. Some days I had ringing in my ears or had muffled hearing (as @MonoJon said, temporary threshold shift) after a band session.

I did an audiometry test last year and found out I had very mild high frequency hearing loss, semi consistent with age, and likely from all those band sessions when I was younger. And the audiologist said it was irreversible. For normal conversations and music appreciation it doesn't affect me, but hearing loss is irreversible, so please protect your hearing as @MonoJon says. I wished I knew about the importance of hearing protection when I was younger.

Nowadays, for travelling and band sessions, I am very careful about hearing protection. In particular, I only use IEMs with isolation of 20 dB and above, as these allow a lower volume of music to be played (and also lowers external noise from entering). Even at home, where it is more quiet, I try to resist the temptation to jack up the volume to get more details/kicks. I'm checking out some new tech for bone conduction earphones, which bypasses the eardrums, it's quite nascent and the sound isn't as good as normal earphones, but maybe in the future it can develop well enough to hit the same quality as conventional earphones/cans.

you might want to try some ANC for commuting. even though some IEMs can block fair amount of noise, but the low rumbles won't be blocked by passive isolation. i bought some BT ANC enabled device (Sony WF and WH XM3), and after using it, it's harder for me to come back using just passive isolating earphones. with them, when i go to busy places or on airplanes/trains, i can use the same amount of volume that i use at home

Jan 3, 2020 at 11:29 PM Post #22,386 of 31,833
you might want to try some ANC for commuting. even though some IEMs can block fair amount of noise, but the low rumbles won't be blocked by passive isolation. i bought some BT ANC enabled device (Sony WF and WH XM3), and after using it, it's harder for me to come back using just passive isolating earphones. with them, when i go to busy places or on airplanes/trains, i can use the same amount of volume that i use at home

Thanks for the tip, sounds very promising. I tried out a few BT ANC a year or so back, but I felt the sound quality wasn't as good as wired gear. Not sure if the advancements in technology are now better?

I can get about 30 dB passive isolation with some good IEMs, and I generally use bassier sets to offset the low frequency losses of travel, but maybe I'll explore some newer ANC stuff based on your rec.

Jan 4, 2020 at 12:06 AM Post #22,387 of 31,833
Edit: posted in the wrong thread. Oops.

Last edited:
Jan 4, 2020 at 12:12 AM Post #22,388 of 31,833
Jan 4, 2020 at 1:14 AM Post #22,389 of 31,833
After the long wait :gs1000smile:
15781183489498477168179851986831.jpg

Last edited:
Jan 4, 2020 at 1:19 AM Post #22,390 of 31,833

Thanks for the tip, sounds very promising. I tried out a few BT ANC a year or so back, but I felt the sound quality wasn't as good as wired gear. Not sure if the advancements in technology are now better?

I can get about 30 dB passive isolation with some good IEMs, and I generally use bassier sets to offset the low frequency losses of travel, but maybe I'll explore some newer ANC stuff based on your rec.

I'm dubious about the benefits of ANC. I'm prone to think that passive is better. Say, if you have some background noise that is 95 dB and you have some other sound that is 95 dB to cancel it out, I think the hair cells in the coclilea will still be damaged over time, even if the brain doesn't perceive the sound. I'm looking for a pair of used Emytonic er3se for commuting and some HiFi earplugs for concerts.

Jan 4, 2020 at 1:27 AM Post #22,391 of 31,833

When I was learning to ride a motorbike, the instructor advised using earplugs to block the white noise from riding at speed. I drive a Mazda MX-5 everyday and use a pair of Etymotic earplugs to reduce the wind roar. I also find it very mindful to drive like this: I can still hear but everything is pleasantly muted. I also use them at concerts and noticed I barely had any ringing in my ears even though I was almost front row. Most venues will give you a set of foam earplugs for free if you ask.

Jan 4, 2020 at 1:40 AM Post #22,392 of 31,833
Jan 4, 2020 at 2:21 AM Post #22,394 of 31,833
I'm 70 and have been amazed by the quality of the sound I'm getting from my top four and all since May 2019:
Shuoer Tape, **** Pro, Tin T3 and TRN BA5! Luckily my hearing seems to be holding up pretty well!!

You like the BA5... good good...
Im so close to buying a pair. But im just not sure they'll be good with EDM.
Im not a basshead. but i like full bass. not thin.
Do you listen to any EDM ?

Jan 4, 2020 at 3:57 AM Post #22,395 of 31,833
Clearly we haven't returned to the Moon because they're letting it burn in.
I just read something recently that said Stanley Kuberick filmed the fake moon landings. Who really knows what's real or not? But we do know we didnt have the technology to get past the Van Allen Radiation Belt during the time they set foot on the moon. Or at least we were told we didn't.

Last edited:

Users who are viewing this thread

Back