CHIFI LOVE Thread-A never ending IEM-Heaphones-DAP-Dongles Sound Value Quest
Sep 28, 2021 at 3:22 PM Post #28,786 of 31,832
Very thank's Nimweth and PhonoPhi.

It is a pleasure read this forum!

All you are really helpfull.

Shurely I'll try ZSX and ZAX but Heart Mirror too.

To explain my taste I like a lot ZS10 pro and the Melody, I find the CA10 one step down but pleasant too.

About Aria and single DD earphone, like as Tanya, I belive have a place in a round up when I'm looking for a relaxed listening, them could be very organic of you understand what I mean. 😁

Any way I think it is time to release a new updated earphone list with single DD and multi drivers iem.

Sep 28, 2021 at 6:26 PM Post #28,787 of 31,832
Thank's you SpaceOperaVillain.

This is very helpfull.

I've choose the HE01 and the Aria for the smootness and the ZAX for the same reasons you explain, resolution and trasparency.

I eard a lot of different musical genere, any kind of rock, progressive, hot jazz (love Chet Baker), elettronic, trance, techno and so on, but classical and opera too, so I like change earphone/headphone by genere or simply Mood.

Very interesting what you say about CA12.

I've CA10 and ZS10 pro, first more smooth then the second.

Are the CA12 enough different from the ZS10 pro and how do you compare It with the DQ6 and ZSX? :)))

For me the better earphone is the CA12 in comparison to the ZS10 Pro as tonally it's a little more natural sounding and a tad smoother, it's also got a touch more detail retrieval. They're not hugely different tho, so you might be best looking at other sets.

Sep 28, 2021 at 6:58 PM Post #28,788 of 31,832
Just a quick question, why would you accumulate sub $100 IEM when you can purchase one endgame IEM (eg: Thieaudio Clair or Monarch cheaper ones, moondrop S8, qdc etc.)

In 2 years I started the hobby, went to purchase a total of 24 IEMs with the last 5-8, did not really give anymore Oomph.

I probably spent a good $1500 for those two years.

since there is no more lockdown, I was not able to listen as much, the money I accumulate, saved to buy Monarch as an endgame IEM. I have not bought anything in the last 6 months.

so again, why would you accumulate sub $100 iems, while you can save your money and go for the endgame IEM from 6 months to 1 year savings of not buying sub $100 IEMs?

Sep 28, 2021 at 7:04 PM Post #28,789 of 31,832
Two winners sub $100:

TFZ Tequila
CCA CA16 with Spinfit CP800

Sep 28, 2021 at 7:05 PM Post #28,790 of 31,832
1 good reason: learning curve.

You need to know your ears and your preferences before spending big money. Otherwise, a big disappointment is more likely than years of happiness.

Sep 28, 2021 at 7:09 PM Post #28,791 of 31,832
1 good reason: learning curve.

You need to know your ears and your preferences before spending big money. Otherwise, a big disappointment is more likely than years of happiness.
I see, I guess my learning curve is over. So far, newer IEMs they don’t sound as good as my older collections.

Bass and resolution, none beating TFZ Tequila
Staging, placement and 3D sounding CCA CA16 CP800
Treble extension, good bass and resolution and timbre: KBEAR Believe and Periodic Audio Be

getting Thieaudio Monarch tomorrow, can’t wait to listen to my supposedly end game IEM.

Sep 28, 2021 at 7:11 PM Post #28,792 of 31,832
Just a quick question, why would you accumulate sub $100 IEM when you can purchase one endgame IEM (eg: Thieaudio Clair or Monarch cheaper ones, moondrop S8, qdc etc.)

In 2 years I started the hobby, went to purchase a total of 24 IEMs with the last 5-8, did not really give anymore Oomph.

since there is no more lockdown, I was not able to listen as much, the money I accumulate, saved to buy Monarch as an endgame IEM. I have not bought anything in the last 6 months.

so again, why would you accumulate sub $100 iems, while you can save your money and go for the endgame IEM from 6 months to 1 year savings of not buying sub $100 IEMs?
Just a quick answer: there are no "endgames" in this hobby, rather the quest for more.

Those who can do with one IEM do not pose such questions.

Let us know in a year whether Monarch become the "endgame" :)

Sep 28, 2021 at 8:00 PM Post #28,793 of 31,832
Back in the day I almost got burned by Grado 1000. I was really jazzed up and set to buy a pair second hand for not much of a discount. I happened to find a store that had a demo unit setup on a proper amp. I was so shocked at how terrible those sounded to me that I canceled the sale and decided to be happy with a pair of SR80 (which I still have). That was 30 years ago (edit: wrong!!! Only 24 years ago! Whew 😬) and I've never lost the bad taste for TOTL gear since then. Afterwards I discovered studio gear and never turned back. Don't get me started on Sennheiser. Lol

Anyway, those Hedd planars look super nice, and I wouldn't kick a pair of DCA's to the curb if they magically showed up at work with my name on the delivery slip 😉

For IEM I don't see myself spending more than about $500. I think this is the magical line of diminishing returns for the current crop of tech. Truth be told I'm still a little astonished at how good budget gear has become. I'm waiting for a solid EST tribrid to drop into the $250 range. It's just a matter of time.

Last edited:
Sep 28, 2021 at 8:42 PM Post #28,794 of 31,832
Just a quick answer: there are no "endgames" in this hobby, rather the quest for more.

Those who can do with one IEM do not pose such questions.

Let us know in a year whether Monarch become the "endgame" :)
Lol will do, I have to give away some of my other IEMs and CABLES…

And also had to banter with wifey…. Good thing she is also collecting shoes, so I can get some breathing room collecting IEMs.

Sep 28, 2021 at 10:27 PM Post #28,795 of 31,832
My reason is that I enjoy the journey too much to worry about the final destination

Sep 29, 2021 at 12:39 AM Post #28,797 of 31,832

I've asked to myself the same question. Lol

Others replay are all good, my personal point of view Is based on many different reason.

First at all: a lot of time I use my phone with CS PRO CS31993 dongle and Spotify, it is just a limit.

As you know more high is the quality of a reproduction component more high has to be the quality of the whole chain or you risk to have a worst result.

In my experience with the music a lot of time I've found myself to go back to a less expensive components with a better comprensive audio result.

Speaking about wife banter my mind go to my guitar stomop box collection.
(If there are guitarists they know what I mean) 😂
I collect a lot of boutique, very expensive, stomp box, but now I've go back to more traditional and usefull pedals.

I love try iem, discover little gems and I'm more surprise and happy when a (relatively cheap) iem give me emotions.

Other reason is the learning curve, sometime I like a very basshead stuff other time I'm looking for a more mature, trasparente and resolutive
earphone.

Now I'm writing and earing music with my MT1...not the best of my bounce but...I'm enjoying it. :)

Every years the iem's quality raise a little more, there aren't definitive solutions in my modest opinion.

Reading all your post I'm learning a lot and discovering a lot of different range good stuffs and yes...probably I'll end up with some high grade iem but by now I enjoy try and understand the technical quality of the earphone the market offer.
(Many of you know the internal DD/BA and I not)😉😁

Love my Tanya, love Melody...way not CA12, ZXS, ZAX, DQ6, Heart Mirror or Aria?

Peace, music and...GAS!
LOL

Last edited:
Sep 29, 2021 at 4:11 AM Post #28,798 of 31,832

Others already mentioned it. It's about learning, experience and discovering what you really like. However, there are also other reasons for me.

For example, with the evolving Chi-Fi, competition got increased, prices went down dramatically comparing it to the past. To have a hybrid IEM, you had to pay a lot of money in the past. Now, it's sth quite normal to see hybrids or even tribids in low price levels. I don't say more means better and we see plenty of examples on the market. However, it gives a better chance so that a person can understand let's say how's the bass on DD vs BA or treble on BA vs piezo now. Plenty of products and different kind of implementations...

Whats nice is that second hand market is quite agile that you can sell your IEMs quickly depending on the price with not much of a lose. It's not like a smartphone market for ex. However, if you go higher and higher on the price level, that becomes difficult to so it's riskier.

Assume you purchased a TOTL sounding sub 2k level IEM with a big jump from sub 100$. You wouldn't know what to expect at that level if you don't go up increasingly so what you expect vs what you hear might disappoint you. The higher you go up, the less subtle differences you hear so the ears have to be trained as well.

It's a journey like others mentioned. Everyone has that final destination. They dream about getting there but we have a factor that we forget. We get used to the things. That's the nature of our brain. We get used to and we get bored. If you're creative enough, you might extend that but it will eventually come and you'll start seeking, wondering about other IEMs. If you have a lot of money then good for you, it won't hurt and tire you buying it or selling it.

With the low budget level you can do that easily and sometimes (either accidentally or on purpose) a budget gem comes out and gives you the joy that you haven't had before. So, that's why I enjoy discovering and I recommend discovering.

Last edited:
Sep 29, 2021 at 8:30 AM Post #28,799 of 31,832
Killer combination: Heart Mirror with TRI Grace-S cable (balanced 2.5mm) out of Xduoo X20 DAP. Huge improvement in soundstage and layering and wonderful extension in treble.

Sep 29, 2021 at 8:31 AM Post #28,800 of 31,832
Did you really just ask that on Head-fi of all places 😉?!

Users who are viewing this thread

Back