Best Beginner Hifi Can?
Jul 1, 2011 at 6:36 PM Thread Starter Post #1 of 12

Windsong

New Head-Fier
I've never had a pair of headphones over $35. What a pair under $120 that will leave me amazed? I obviously dont need flat response, and would love something with a "Wow!" factor. Basically, whatever headphone that you would use to try to get someone to convert to an audiophile. Thanks!

Jul 1, 2011 at 6:52 PM Post #2 of 12
well, if you don’t need a flat response and want to say “wow”, my first reaction is a Grado.

But the models in your price range won’t have killer bass. it’ll be present, but not jaw dropping.

but they are so detailed and very fun.

Jul 1, 2011 at 7:13 PM Post #3 of 12
Give us some genres to work with... it'll make it easier to recommend a pair perfect for you.
biggrin.gif

Jul 1, 2011 at 7:18 PM Post #4 of 12
run to your nearest best buy and test try their bose, monster, phillips, and sony, and report back here with your interpretations.
My audiophile genius will guide you from there.  $200 an hour.

deadhorse.gif

Jul 1, 2011 at 7:19 PM Post #5 of 12
I like Pink Floyd, Grateful Dead, Yes, Led Zeppelin, The Beatles, etc. and progressive trance music. Closed back would actually be helpfull but not necessary. I'm thinking maybe M50.

Jul 1, 2011 at 7:32 PM Post #6 of 12

Quote:
I like Pink Floyd, Grateful Dead, Yes, Led Zeppelin, The Beatles, etc. and progressive trance music. Closed back would actually be helpfull but not necessary. I'm thinking maybe M50.

Grado

M50 would be a good choice, but with your favs of music, Grado would be best.

Get Grado SR80i with G-cush ear pads. $140 and will suit you for a good year until the itch starts and you'll be back here for another can.

Jul 1, 2011 at 9:38 PM Post #7 of 12
"WOW" options...

XB500
Audio Technica Pro700 MKII
Audio Technica M50 (though my friends were wowed, it wasn't a big WOOOOOW)
Ultrasone HFI-580
Grado SR-60/80

Forgive if I went overbudget for any of them; I'm not up to date with the American figures.

Jul 2, 2011 at 12:08 AM Post #8 of 12
You should consider the denon AH-D1100.

They are great for rock and electronic music in general. They are consider a bass phone, but the bass doesn't cover up the other frequencies.

They are also circumaural and are considered portable. Very comfortable too.

The WOW factor you're looking for will come from your source as well. Low bitrate mp3s will not wow you. Something to consider.

Jul 2, 2011 at 2:14 AM Post #10 of 12

Quote:
Grado SR80i/Alessandro MS1 for an open can.

Shure SRH840 for a closed can.

The 840s are great cans, but have little wow factor to me. So much so that I bought another pair within a month of having them. Now I have 2 great cans! It's a win-win right?

Jul 2, 2011 at 2:26 AM Post #11 of 12
ATH-AD700 (open).

Quote:

Jul 2, 2011 at 5:44 AM Post #12 of 12
Grado SR-80i
Allessandro MS1i
Audio Technica AD700 (open variety)

The third ones are constructed really nice but they ended up being less comfortable than the Grados which a lot of people complain are less than comfy. They're comfier than hot, sticky pleather or velour sometimes if you're patient and the headband breaks in though.

Grado headphones tend to be really cost effective, meaning you get the detail and sheer listening enjoyability of more expensive headphones at the expense of build materials. The build quality is there and they stand behind their design like any other manufacturer with a credible warranty to boot, it's just that they're made out of caveman materials and the pads smell fresh out of the factory (I love that smell though!.

Allessandro MS1's are Grado SR125 in disguise according to the spec sheet but for 50 dollars less. I've owned both of them, I like both of them and even though the way their treble presentation is VERY slightly different in only the highest quality recordings, I think they're both interchangeable in my opinion and you just pick whichever one you like more. I like how the button is missing sometimes, and sometimes I couldn't live without it. Up to you!

The new SR125i's have the upgraded 8-connector cable however and are terminated in 1/4" so yeah, I guess now they're different lol.

You listen to very good music by the way. You'll enjoy this hobby buddy

Users who are viewing this thread

Back