Best bass under $50 - $100 ??
Jan 15, 2011 at 11:22 PM Post #16 of 34
Yea supposedly it's around there. Looks perfect for a guy who doesn't need a DAC. I'm just wondering how the bass boost will be in comparison to the e7.

Jan 16, 2011 at 12:35 AM Post #17 of 34
If the amp section is at least better E7, why would we expect a worse bass boost? I'd say it will be better if not comparable.

Jan 16, 2011 at 1:19 AM Post #18 of 34
Eh well I don't even have an E7 so I don't even know how it is
biggrin.gif
. I was going to buy one until I heard of the e11 which will be cheaper and amp only which is fine for me. I'm just not sure if I should get it right away or wait a while to see if people say it's worth the hype. I think it will be but you never know.

Quote:
If the amp section is at least better E7, why would we expect a worse bass boost? I'd say it will be better if not comparable.

Jan 16, 2011 at 2:12 AM Post #19 of 34
You should wait, given that you only want the bass part to be better.

Jan 16, 2011 at 12:04 PM Post #21 of 34

Quote:
You should wait, given that you only want the bass part to be better.

Well not necesarily, I want the bass of the E5 but I kind of expect better if I'm paying 3-4 times as much. The only problem I had with the E5 was that the bass boost made the clarity and overall sound a bit dampered. I think it's sweet how the E7 has three possible bass boosts settings. I looked on the new E11 thread but I couldn't really find much on it, it seems to just have a flat or bass boost switch but idk... ?

Quote:
i have this :
http://cgi.benl.ebay.be/Bass-Boost-cMoy-v2-03-Amp-Premium-Headphone-Amplifier-/130475394795?pt=LH_DefaultDomain_0&hash=item1e60f086eb

works great!

haha oh wow! I've never seen something like that, an amp in an altoids can. Looks legit though. I just don't know which would serve better to me, the e11 (which noone has even used yet) or the one you are suggesting to me... That's what sucks about most of this stuff, theres usually no way to test any of it before you buy it.

Jan 18, 2011 at 4:09 PM Post #22 of 34
Jan 18, 2011 at 4:40 PM Post #23 of 34
Yea the p4 looks pretty sweet but a bit out of my budget at the moment. I think I will wait for the Fiio E11 to see how that is reviewed by the users on here. I'm sure there will be someone who will have both the cmoy and E11 who could help me out. The only reason I hesitate on the cmoy is the db of the bass output. I want great bass but at the same time not at the cost of clarity, which I've heard can be an issue with the cmoy. The E7(I'm assuming the E11 will have similar db output) only has about half the db output of the cmoy, not sure if that's good or bad...

Quote:
i have a ibasso p4, that i use with my m50s, and the combo works great!
i'd definitely go for something like the p4 (http://ibasso.com/en/products/show.asp?ID=67), or the newly released d6 (http://ibasso.com/en/products/show.asp?ID=69), which is a amp/dac combo.
I'd also recommend the jds labs cmoy bass boost (newly released v2.03) if you are on a budget. It has a bass boost just like the e5, but I'm sure it would work much better than the fiio.
http://www.jdslabs.com/products.php?page=cmoy

Jan 18, 2011 at 11:28 PM Post #24 of 34
I do believe 9.4 dB increase in bass would be quite over-powering for most headphones. And it's not like you can choose between several levels with the Cmoy. With the E7, there are three bass increments on top of the neutral option, which I like most. The highest setting would be able help cold headphones to become much warmer. But I guess E7 is not for bassheads, but if you are a basshead, changing the headphone would be much better than to use an amp to completely distort a headphone's sound signature. Between a good bass-heavy headphone + a good amp or a good bass-lacking headphone + a good amp with 9.4 dB boost, I would pick the former any day I were a bass-junkie. But that's just me.

My suggestion is to try EQing with foobar2000 with a 10dB difference between the bass frequencies and the treble frequencies. Check if you like that as this would be similar to Cmoy's BB.

See the inverted S shape there? Set the lowest frequencies at about +5dB and slowly going down to 0dB at 500Hz, and then after that slowly down to -5dB at the higher frequencies.

Jan 18, 2011 at 11:48 PM Post #25 of 34
Honestly, I'm not quite sure if I am a basshead or not. I like a lot of bass presence in my hip hop but at the same time I can't stand it when the bass gets so powerful to the point where it just distorts everything else. I like it strong, but controlled. That's the reason I didn't go with the sony xb phones in the first place. The m50 seemed to be the perfect balance between nice bass but still pretty good everything else. I know I can get the bass I want out of the m50, I got it with my E5, it's just I wasn't using it with a LOD so the quality got a tiny bit worse. I'm thinking that a higher quality amp like E7 or E11 will give me the same or better bass as the E5 but also even better sound quality, especially with a LOD. I hope that isn't too much to expect... Might have to try the EQ thing soon though.

Quote:
I do believe 9.4 dB increase in bass would quite over-powering for most headphones. And it's not like you can choose between several levels with the Cmoy. With the E7, there are three bass increments on top of the neutral option, which I like most. The highest setting would be able help cold headphones to become much warmer. But I guess E7 is not for bassheads, but if you are a basshead, changing the headphone would be much better than to use an amp to completely distort a headphone's sound signature. Between a good bass-heavy headphone + a good amp or a good bass-lacking headphone + a good amp with 9.4 dB boost, I would pick the former any day I were a bass-junkie. But that's just me.

My suggestion is to try EQing with foobar2000 with a 10dB difference between the bass frequencies and the treble frequencies. Check if you like that as this would be similar to Cmoy's BB.

See the inverted S shape there? Set the lowest frequencies at about +5dB and slowly going down to 0dB at 500Hz, and then after that slowly down to -5dB at the higher frequencies.

Jan 18, 2011 at 11:54 PM Post #26 of 34
Have you ordered a LOD yet? It's only $10 or $15 for a L1 or L3. It's cheapest, and you don't have to wait for E11. You will need one later on anyway, with a more expensive amp that is. Chances are you might be very satisfied with a LOD+E5 and there's no need to spend more. Wouldn't that be best?

Jan 19, 2011 at 12:46 AM Post #28 of 34
Do you mean CmoyBB v2.03? I notice you are selling your PA2v2. Someone who's got 7 versions of Cmoy said that his PA2v2 was better, not sure if CmoyBB was included though.

Jan 19, 2011 at 10:45 AM Post #29 of 34
Yea but I already returned my E5 to pay for the E11 when it comes out, I figured that the E5 won't be good enough for when I get even better headphones and the E11 will do just fine. Thinking about getting one of those $30 ibasso LODs because I've heard of a lot of durability issues with the fiio ones. 

Quote:
Have you ordered a LOD yet? It's only $10 or $15 for a L1 or L3. It's cheapest, and you don't have to wait for E11. You will need one later on anyway, with a more expensive amp that is. Chances are you might be very satisfied with a LOD+E5 and there's no need to spend more. Wouldn't that be best?

Jan 19, 2011 at 5:09 PM Post #30 of 34
I saw that one guy mentioned about FiiO E3's durability issue, not a lot. They are supposed to be very sturdy, but seems like you are already set. I don't see the need to buy a $60 amp and a $30 LOD myself.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back