Best bass under $100 ??
Jan 6, 2011 at 11:54 PM Thread Starter Post #1 of 13

slapshot30

500+ Head-Fier
I just bought the Sennheiser HD448's because of all the good things I heard about them over the net. I read that the bass wasn't too bad but I didn't think it would be this poor. I've burnt them in for about 10 hours or so but I don't think more of that would help. I still have time to return these so I'm just wondering what other headphones have better bass but not overpowering to where it distorts the lyrics. I listen to mostly hip-hop and techno. Kind of a noob here. Thanks.

Jan 7, 2011 at 12:16 AM Post #2 of 13

Quote:
I just bought the Sennheiser HD448's because of all the good things I heard about them over the net. I read that the bass wasn't too bad but I didn't think it would be this poor. I've burnt them in for about 10 hours or so but I don't think more of that would help. I still have time to return these so I'm just wondering what other headphones have better bass but not overpowering to where it distorts the lyrics. I listen to mostly hip-hop and techno. Kind of a noob here. Thanks.

ATH-M50's have plenty of bass,  but still not overpowering at all.  I use them for hip-hop,  reggae,  jazz,  techno and they sound great with pretty much anything I throw at them.

Jan 7, 2011 at 1:21 AM Post #3 of 13
I haven't heard the HD448's, but I own the M50's and I'm more than satisfied with them (especially the bass extension).

Since you're looking for under $100 though, I would suggest looking at the Sony XB700's. I recently listened to a pair, and I will admit they are pretty fun to listen to (with some genres, like those you mentioned, but definitely not all). They didn't distort the lyrics from what I listened to, but the bass was definitely very boomy.

IMHO, 10hrs isn't much of a burn in. I would give your 448's a bit more time before swapping them out.

Jan 7, 2011 at 1:28 AM Post #4 of 13
HD448 is not bass heavy.
in fact its a bass anemic cans..

if you want the best bass for under 100$ you can get the V-jays and the XB700
where the XB700 have the bigger and boomier bass.

or if you want to spend a bit more, M50 is a very good choice

Jan 7, 2011 at 10:51 AM Post #5 of 13
Thanks to everyone. $125 is not too bad so I'll look into those. I also bought a Fiio E5 amp because I read I needed it with those headphones but they didn't do much. Will I need an amp or anything with the M50? (Using an iPod)

Jan 7, 2011 at 11:09 AM Post #6 of 13
XB 700 mine vibrate my skull lol. If you want bass these are awesome.

Jan 7, 2011 at 7:49 PM Post #8 of 13
Thanks to everyone. I've read up a lot on these and I've decided to get the m50's. Any advice on burning in? (how long/types of music)

Jan 7, 2011 at 9:53 PM Post #9 of 13
I don't know if different types of music will matter much to burning in your phones, but I ended up using this site to play sessions of white, pink, and brown noise. Again, I don't know if switching really matters at all, but I think most people just play pink noise (you can download clips of pink noise and leave it on repeat if you prefer).

What does matter is that you don't leave the volume at insane levels, and be sure to give your phones a break every now and then. I left the volume on mine just a little above what I would listen at, and used sessions of 4-6hrs, stopping for half an hour or more inbetween. The exact numbers don't matter too much, just don't leave them playing for days on end, and you should be good to go.

Apr 22, 2011 at 12:32 PM Post #11 of 13
yeah the m50's seem kinda bass lacking to me but thats only because a lot of my songs even thought hip hop are still weak bass they play the bass very accuratley, the low bass is thumpy and mid bass is not so much. But in itunes you can mod the songs with cntrl A and go to options and then eq and make a eq preset with highhhhhh 125 hz and soemwhat high around there and then you will have perfect headphones. 
Thats in my opinion at least ^^.
Or keep it simpler and buy an amp.

Apr 22, 2011 at 12:36 PM Post #12 of 13

Quote:
yeah the m50's seem kinda bass lacking to me but thats only because a lot of my songs even thought hip hop are still weak bass they play the bass very accuratley, the low bass is thumpy and mid bass is not so much. But in itunes you can mod the songs with cntrl A and go to options and then eq and make a eq preset with highhhhhh 125 hz and soemwhat high around there and then you will have perfect headphones. 
Thats in my opinion at least ^^.
Or keep it simpler and buy an amp.

Necro bump much, bro? OP probably already bought the headphones a few months ago.

Apr 22, 2011 at 2:11 PM Post #13 of 13

Quote:
Necro bump much, bro? OP probably already bought the headphones a few months ago.

Yea I got the M50's but they ended up returning them, not enough bass. I got the V-Moda Crossfades and I am happy with them in terms of bass quantity. Along with that, I got a Digizoid ZO amp that has glorious bass boosting capabilities. 32 'levels' of bass to find the right amount of bass for each song. Shame that I didn't have the ZO at the time I had the M50's... they probably would've worked pretty well together.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back