Best Bass IEMs for $150 range
Jan 18, 2012 at 7:28 PM Thread Starter Post #1 of 12

johnny2762

New Head-Fier
Hello, I am new to head fi and I am looking into buying a new set of IEMs after my S4is broke after 1 and a half years. I listen to a lot of hip hop and electronic music especially dubstep and house. Occasionally I listen to some rock, country, old school rock. I got a pair of beats tours for Christmas and I want to refund them because I wasn't a big fan of the sound quality. I want something with clean mids and not too sharp but clear highs and at the same time energetic, boomy bass. I was looking into the turbines but I heard they fall out easily. So these are some of the things I like in IEMs (I know that there may not be an IEM at around $150 with all these features)

-Nice fit and isolation
-preferably an L jack
-Nice Looking (I will be using them for sports at school)
-Durable
-Boomy bass with clear mids and highs
-Fairly easy to acquire
-Apple mic and controls (I really need this for running, sports etc.)
-Not the earhook kind
-Around 150 USD
-Not the S4i 

Jan 18, 2012 at 9:37 PM Post #2 of 12
If you want to save a bit of money, I'd recommend the Brainwavz M4. I've spent a little more time listening to my pair over the past two weeks, and the sound has honestly grown on me a bit (not to be mistaken with burn in). While I don't consider myself a basshead, I would have a tough time believing that a basshead wouldn't at least be moderately satisfied with it. It was very punchy and boomy, while still retaining a good amount of tightness to it; very surprising when you realize how lightweight and unobstructive they are (another plus, since I also use them for working out). I found that the highs aren't immediately evident, but can really shine once EQed, making them much more natural sounding. They're comfortable and come with multiple silicone tips and a pair of comply foam tips. They might not seem durable, since the overall earphone is smaller, and the cable is thinner, but it has held up very well and I don't see any signs of wear. Good isolation, and has a very low profile L-jack.

Right now MP4Nation has them on sale for $69.50 (mic or non mic) with a free Fiio E6 portable amplifier (I'm still waiting on mine in the next few days) and FedEx priority shipping. Despite the fact that they ship from Hong Kong, a few of my non-priority orders have arrived within a week.

I almost feel like a salesman trying to get you the hook on this, but even given your budget, I can't see too many things that will justify a higher price over this bundle.

Jan 18, 2012 at 11:44 PM Post #4 of 12
You need not look past the ClarityOne IMO, available directly through clarityoneaudio.com. Coupled with the right tips, the highs can be tamed. Refer to this thread, as well as |joker|'s review
smile.gif

Jan 19, 2012 at 10:14 AM Post #6 of 12
Another option is the Atrio MG7. These will be a huge upgrade from the S4's.

The MG7 was going to be my first suggestion, except that it doesn't meet the following criteria: 

-Nice fit and isolation (heavily varies from listener to listener)
-preferably an L jack
-Nice Looking (I will be using them for sports at school) <<< (let's not kid ourselves! 
tongue.gif
)

-Durable
-Boomy bass with clear mids and highs
-Fairly easy to acquire
-Not the earhook kind
-Around 150 USD
-Not the S4i 

Jan 19, 2012 at 1:39 PM Post #8 of 12
Dunu Hephaes

Most people who have heard it will tell you the quality of the bass is absolutely astounding. And it comes with ear hooks which is great for any type of physical activity.

Jan 19, 2012 at 3:52 PM Post #9 of 12

Quote:
The MG7 was going to be my first suggestion, except that it doesn't meet the following criteria: 

-Nice fit and isolation (heavily varies from listener to listener
-Nice Looking (I will be using them for sports at school) <<< (let's not kid ourselves! 
tongue.gif
)

-Not the earhook kind

- Fit can be achieved with a bit of experimentation.
- Not nice looking? LOL I have loved the teardrop shape since the original FS1's. Such an original design too.
- I totally missed the mic requirement, this rules them out for sure.
- I am guessing earhook means over the ear, which the Atrio's are not.

To the OP - Given the lack of mic on the Atrio, I would highly suggest you give the Clarityone's a go.
The DUNU Hephaes are also a good option, however, for the same price you can pick up the clarityone.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back