best bass headphones out there ?
Jul 23, 2018 at 1:13 PM Thread Starter Post #1 of 24

Adelfaidah

New Head-Fier
hi guys i'm planning in the next couple of months to get a really strong bass headphones, price is not an issue as long as it is below 3000$. So what are your recommendations, looking for something that has a really strong bass specifically in the sub bass region, but obviously not muddy. FYI i own a JDS the element amp/dac just in case i need to upgrade that along with it (i've been looking into the sony xb1000 and the LCD-2 but not sure if there are better bass headphones out there )

Jul 23, 2018 at 2:10 PM Post #2 of 24
Are you looking for the biggest bass with little interest in the mids and highs,or are you interested in a great sounding headphone that has stellar bass?

Biggest bass are the JVC SZ2000s and the Taction Kannons. Bass for days. The rest of the sound however is not good IMO.

Great sounding headphones with great bass that Ive owned or heard extensively are:

*Hifiman HE6-requires a monster amp. Discontinued,used pairs go for around $1000.00.+ speaker tap cable. Vintage receivers work great from the speaker taps
*LCD-2 pre fazor-has awesome sub bass. Midbass slam isnt spectacular IMO.
*ZMF Atticus- Huge mid bass slam. Great creamy mids,rolled off treble. These can be amp picky and love OTL treatment.
*Sennheiser HD250s-Darkhorse here. Great sub bass extension with very present slam. What the LCD-2 shouldve sounded like. Discontinued and also loves OTL amping. Much cheaper than the others Ive listed. Can be had for around $200.00
*Abyss-Needs a monster amp similar to HE6.

Last edited:
Jul 23, 2018 at 2:33 PM Post #3 of 24
I believe I can provide some insight on this subject but first, let me list every headphone I've owned with highly rated bass:

- ZMF Blackwood
- ZMF Ori
- LFF Code-6 (modified HiFiMan HE-6, tried with various pads)
- Audeze LCD-4
- Stax SR-007A
- Stax SR-009

I have also listened to many other high end headphones such as the rest of the Audeze LCD lineup (fazors only), HiFiMan HE1000, Abyss AB-1266, Sennheiser HD 800 and HD 800 S, Focal Utopia, Beyerdynamic T1, etc.

The first thing I will say is, immediately rule out all dynamic driver headphones. They don't hold a candle in bass to planar magnetic or high end Stax.

I will just say it right now; the Stax SR-009 has by far the best headphone bass I have ever heard. While elite planar magnetic headphones have an extra around 10 Hz of bass extension (they can extend down close to 10 Hz while the SR-009 extends down to 20 Hz), music hardly ever reaches this low.

While the SR-009 bass doesn't slam the hardest, it slams harder than most, even more than most planars (more than any HE-6, more than the HE1000, thus I would say more than any HiFiMan). Loads of slam making it tons of fun.

The SR-009 also seems to have less general mid bass presence than the Audeze LCD lineup. So why do I rank it #1? Because the bass region, and every other region, is so incredibly transparent and detailed that it unlocks an entirely new dimension of bass compared to any headphone other than the SR-009S which is completely out of budget. It reveals so many more sounds and nuances previously unheard and the differences are NOT subtle.

However, while it can easily be obtained used for well under $3k, it needs at least a KGSSHV amp I would say to best the bass performance of great planars. And a KGSSHV will cost over $2k.

So if this is unacceptable, forget Stax and go with a planar magnetic headphone.

So other than Stax, the LCD-3 has the best bass in your price range but I cannot recommend it due to its unnatural sounding vocals and most instruments, caused by very harmful upper mid and lower treble recession.

So barring Audeze, my recommendations fall to either the ZMF Ori or a HiFiMan HE1000/HE1000 V2. I haven't listened to the HE1000 in a while but the bass extends as deep as possible and is very detailed, but doesn't slam very hard. Whereas the ZMF Ori slams harder than almost all, even more than Audeze, yet it doesn't sacrifice mids nor quality. Of couse the HE1000 is more open sounding, more transparent, detailed, etc.

Summary = Top tier Stax is my favorite if you can afford it, otherwise I suggest either the HE1000 (if you want super deep, detailed bass and will sacrifice bass slam for wide open, detailed, airy sound) or ZMF Ori (tons of slam/impact with top tier extension and breathtaking quality but in closed back form factor, sounds more open than most closed backs though).

Last edited:
Jul 23, 2018 at 11:56 PM Post #5 of 24
I believe I can provide some insight on this subject but first, let me list every headphone I've owned with highly rated bass:

- ZMF Blackwood
- ZMF Ori
- LFF Code-6 (modified HiFiMan HE-6, tried with various pads)
- Audeze LCD-4
- Stax SR-007A
- Stax SR-009

I have also listened to many other high end headphones such as the rest of the Audeze LCD lineup (fazors only), HiFiMan HE1000, Abyss AB-1266, Sennheiser HD 800 and HD 800 S, Focal Utopia, Beyerdynamic T1, etc.

The first thing I will say is, immediately rule out all dynamic driver headphones. They don't hold a candle in bass to planar magnetic or high end Stax.

I will just say it right now; the Stax SR-009 has by far the best headphone bass I have ever heard. While elite planar magnetic headphones have an extra around 10 Hz of bass extension (they can extend down close to 10 Hz while the SR-009 extends down to 20 Hz), music hardly ever reaches this low.

While the SR-009 bass doesn't slam the hardest, it slams harder than most, even more than most planars (more than any HE-6, more than the HE1000, thus I would say more than any HiFiMan). Loads of slam making it tons of fun.

The SR-009 also seems to have less general mid bass presence than the Audeze LCD lineup. So why do I rank it #1? Because the bass region, and every other region, is so incredibly transparent and detailed that it unlocks an entirely new dimension of bass compared to any headphone other than the SR-009S which is completely out of budget. It reveals so many more sounds and nuances previously unheard and the differences are NOT subtle.

However, while it can easily be obtained used for well under $3k, it needs at least a KGSSHV amp I would say to best the bass performance of great planars. And a KGSSHV will cost over $2k.

So if this is unacceptable, forget Stax and go with a planar magnetic headphone.

So other than Stax, the LCD-3 has the best bass in your price range but I cannot recommend it due to its unnatural sounding vocals and most instruments, caused by very harmful upper mid and lower treble recession.

So barring Audeze, my recommendations fall to either the ZMF Ori or a HiFiMan HE1000/HE1000 V2. I haven't listened to the HE1000 in a while but the bass extends as deep as possible and is very detailed, but doesn't slam very hard. Whereas the ZMF Ori slams harder than almost all, even more than Audeze, yet it doesn't sacrifice mids nor quality. Of couse the HE1000 is more open sounding, more transparent, detailed, etc.

Summary = Top tier Stax is my favorite if you can afford it, otherwise I suggest either the HE1000 (if you want super deep, detailed bass and will sacrifice bass slam for wide open, detailed, airy sound) or ZMF Ori (tons of slam/impact with top tier extension and breathtaking quality but in closed back form factor, sounds more open than most closed backs though).

thank you for the recommendations. Unfortunately both the stax and the HE1000 are just out of my league, the Ori on the other hand, I see its around 900$ and that's more my style I do have another question though how would it compare to the JVC SZ2000 that "Monsterzero" mentioned in his reply or the Sony XB1000 that i was looking into If you have any experience with these two, and which amp would be enough for the ORI. ( did not know how to delete my previous reply so i edited with dots :/)

Jul 23, 2018 at 11:58 PM Post #6 of 24
thank you for the recommendations. Unfortunately both the stax and the HE1000 are just out of my league, the Ori on the other hand, I see its around 900$ and that's more my style I do have another question though how would it compare to the JVC SZ2000 that "Monsterzero" mentioned in his reply or the Sony XB1000 that i was looking into If you have any experience with these two, and which amp would be enough for the ORI.

The Ori will sound excellent out of the JDS Labs The Element.

The XB1000 and SZ2000 will sound muffled and muddy in comparison with awful treble. The comparison is awful for them. They do have more bloated mid bass that bleeds over the mids, and the SZ2000 has interesting slam due to its design, but to me the Ori makes them both sound like novelty toys while the Ori is serious listening equipment. It also hits lower notes than the XB1000 and bass is far higher quality in general... so much for that "Xtra Bass."

I'll also say, the Ori's bass beats the HE-6's overall. Deeper with stronger/better sub-bass presence (the Ori is more bass-forward than any HiFiMan in general), much more slam, better texture such that the HE-6 can sound slightly muddy in comparison. Though occasionally the HE-6's open back design allows for a nice airy effect for certain sounds in the bass region (mostly snare drums and even then not all the time), but certainly not enough to put it ahead.

And compared to the LCD-2, the Ori is pretty similar but the bass slams harder, and most of all it doesn't have that realism-destroying upper mid/lower treble recession which creates an odd, disturbing "veil" around vocals and many instruments.

Last edited:
Jul 23, 2018 at 11:58 PM Post #7 of 24
Are you looking for the biggest bass with little interest in the mids and highs,or are you interested in a great sounding headphone that has stellar bass?

Biggest bass are the JVC SZ2000s and the Taction Kannons. Bass for days. The rest of the sound however is not good IMO.

Great sounding headphones with great bass that Ive owned or heard extensively are:

*Hifiman HE6-requires a monster amp. Discontinued,used pairs go for around $1000.00.+ speaker tap cable. Vintage receivers work great from the speaker taps
*LCD-2 pre fazor-has awesome sub bass. Midbass slam isnt spectacular IMO.
*ZMF Atticus- Huge mid bass slam. Great creamy mids,rolled off treble. These can be amp picky and love OTL treatment.
*Sennheiser HD250s-Darkhorse here. Great sub bass extension with very present slam. What the LCD-2 shouldve sounded like. Discontinued and also loves OTL amping. Much cheaper than the others Ive listed. Can be had for around $200.00
*Abyss-Needs a monster amp similar to HE6.

thank you for the reply. would you say that the Sennheiser HD250 can compete with the LCD-2 or its simply amazing for its price ? and yes i am looking for great sounding headphone that has stellar base :)

Jul 24, 2018 at 12:01 AM Post #8 of 24
The Ori will sound excellent out of the JDS Labs The Element.

The XB1000 and SZ2000 will sound muffled and muddy in comparison with awful treble. The comparison is awful for them. They do have more bloated mid bass that bleeds over the mids, and the SZ2000 has interesting slam due to its design, but to me the Ori makes them both sound like novelty toys while the Ori is serious listening equipment. It also hits lower notes than the XB1000 and bass is far higher quality in general... so much for that "Xtra Bass."

I'll also say, the Ori's bass beats the HE-6's overall. Deeper with stronger/better sub-bass presence (the Ori is more bass-forward than any HiFiMan in general), much more slam, better texture such that the HE-6 can sound slightly muddy in comparison. Though occasionally the HE-6's open back design allows for a nice airy effect for certain sounds in the bass region (mostly snare drums and even then not all the time), but certainly not enough to put it ahead.

I see, I'm starting to really lean towards the ORI. about the amp although it will sound excellent on The Element what would be a good amp upgrade in the future and will it make such a difference anyways? (specifically with the ORI)

edit: does the wood choice of the ORI effect the audio in anyway or its just aesthetics ?

Last edited:
Jul 24, 2018 at 12:15 AM Post #9 of 24
I see, I'm starting to really lean towards the ORI. about the amp although it will sound excellent on The Element what would be a good amp upgrade in the future and will it make such a difference anyways? (specifically with the ORI)

I would say there is no need to get another amp for the Ori unless you want to go for a top of the line one like the Mjolnir Audio Pure BiPolar or upcoming HeadAmp GS-X Mini (or possibly GS-1 Mk2, name undecided) or HeadAmp GS-X Mk2. Those will elevate the Ori, making bass even fuller sounding, slam harder, bringing slight refinement to upper mids/lower treble region, and noticeably improving instrument separation/layering of the sound. But at those prices there are other upgrades to consider.

Jul 24, 2018 at 1:20 AM Post #10 of 24
I would say there is no need to get another amp for the Ori unless you want to go for a top of the line one like the Mjolnir Audio Pure BiPolar or upcoming HeadAmp GS-X Mini (or possibly GS-1 Mk2, name undecided) or HeadAmp GS-X Mk2. Those will elevate the Ori, making bass even fuller sounding, slam harder, bringing slight refinement to upper mids/lower treble region, and noticeably improving instrument separation/layering of the sound. But at those prices there are other upgrades to consider.

and i currently own HD650 would you say the ORI is an improvement or just different? what i am trying to say is should i still keep my HD650 when i get the ORI?

Jul 24, 2018 at 1:24 AM Post #11 of 24
and i currently own HD650 would you say the ORI is an improvement or just different? what i am trying to say is should i still keep my HD650 when i get the ORI?

I say give the HD 650 a chance and see how you feel. I own an HD 6XX which is a rebranded HD 650, same sound. The Sennheiser is noticeably more detailed for pianos and to a lesser extent strings, making it considerably better for classical music and you might prefer it for some other genres due to these attributes. For me personally, I find it better for classical and significantly worse for probably every other genre.

Jul 24, 2018 at 1:27 AM Post #12 of 24
I say give the HD 650 a chance and see how you feel. I own an HD 6XX which is a rebranded HD 650, same sound. The Sennheiser is noticeably more detailed for pianos and to a lesser extent strings, making it considerably better for classical music and you might prefer it for some other genres due to these attributes. For me personally, I find it better for classical and significantly worse for probably every other genre.

but the ORI should have a stronger bass than the HD650 or HD 6XX i am assuming?

Jul 24, 2018 at 7:09 AM Post #14 of 24
Yes, bass is much much stronger and better in every way. No dynamic headphone can compete with its bass.

one of my friends has the HD800 which i've heard is superior to the HD650 in almost every way is that true?
anyways he sometimes wants more bass, so the ORI should have a stronger bass even than the HD800 im guessing because HD800 are still dynamic drivers

Jul 24, 2018 at 7:18 AM Post #15 of 24
one of my friends has the HD800 which i've heard is superior to the HD650 in almost every way is that true?
anyways he sometimes wants more bass, so the ORI should have a stronger bass even than the HD800 im guessing because HD800 are still dynamic drivers

Correct about Ori vs HD 800. Ori bass is leagues above any dynamic headphone I have used.

As for HD 800 vs HD 650, the HD 800 is better technically in every way, though has a totally different sound signature.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back