Best bang for the buck headphone (~80$)
Nov 8, 2010 at 8:28 PM Post #18 of 22
Hi OP, if you can only buy new and want to avoid the potentially shrill highs of the V6s (or so I'm told, please note I've never heard the V6), do consider the ATH-M30. They should be ~$50 on Amazon right now.

(to everyone else: yes, I know I've been recommending them quite a bit lately. Sorry to sound like a broken record player; it's just that I've auditioned a pair recently and am quite impressed how close they come to the M50 for so little).

Nov 8, 2010 at 8:43 PM Post #19 of 22
I also think the M30's are a very, very good deal. The sound is very neutral and quite boring sometimes and many people won't like them. I do think that to sound their best they do need an amp.

They're also quite small and can be upgraded with the Pearstone Velour pads. Same ones the V6 use.

I actually prefer the M30 over the MDR-V6.

The Beyer DT-235 is also pretty good, but they're quite goofy looking. They're only $45!

Nov 8, 2010 at 11:37 PM Post #20 of 22
If you want to take it with you to school, you'll want portable headphone then. Here, take a look at this site: http://www.headfonia.com/ultra-portable-shootout-px100-px200-portapro-k404-v-jays-tracks-oldskool-and-hd238/ it discussing several portable headphone.

Nov 13, 2010 at 12:46 AM Post #22 of 22

Quote:
I also think the M30's are a very, very good deal. The sound is very neutral and quite boring sometimes and many people won't like them. I do think that to sound their best they do need an amp.

They're also quite small and can be upgraded with the Pearstone Velour pads. Same ones the V6 use.

I actually prefer the M30 over the MDR-V6.

The Beyer DT-235 is also pretty good, but they're quite goofy looking. They're only $45!

"goofy" is subjective (see my pic)

Users who are viewing this thread

Back