Best BANG/BUCK Headfone Amp for Senn. 650???
Feb 12, 2004 at 8:32 PM Post #16 of 43
I hope the Perreaux SXH-1 is the best bang4buck option right now for the 650's, because I ordered one
biggrin.gif

Feb 12, 2004 at 8:32 PM Post #17 of 43
Quote:

Originally posted by sacd lover
I think the used gilmore amps are especially good buys; especially the gilmore v1. Another favorite of mine is the singlepower ppx3. I find either amp mates well with the hd 650's.
600smile.gif

The Gilmore amps are definitely very good with the HD600 and HD650 especially at their price point used. It's a very neutral uncolored presentation. The HR-2 has a much more colored presentation, but the colors are great and really stand out! In a nutshell, the HR-2 stands out more since it is more unique. It's also more expensive.

Feb 12, 2004 at 8:49 PM Post #18 of 43
Quote:

Originally posted by cmascatello
Which op amps do you have in the XP-7? I am finding the stock 825s to be a little harsh as the amp continues to burn in.

cmascatello, I have the stock op-amps (825) and I haven't noticed any harshness. I'm assuming you have the 650 too. What's your source ?

Feb 12, 2004 at 8:59 PM Post #19 of 43
After Sunday you'll be able to find some more impressions of the Moth HD300 amp that will be available late March. For $400 I've not heard anything that can touch it, plus it has multiple inputs and linestage. Sounds awesome with HD650's.

Feb 12, 2004 at 9:28 PM Post #20 of 43
Headroom Cosmic could sneak into this category, from the reviews...

Feb 13, 2004 at 1:07 AM Post #21 of 43
musicmaker, My HD-650s will be arriving in the next 48 hrs (can't wait). The harshness comes through on the highs with my Shure e5c's, Ety 4P (and 4S with adaptor cable), and Sony V6 (not remotely surprising on this one). i got a few posts in other reads saying that this is fairly normal on the XP-7 as it burns in and that the AD-797 op amps will do some nice things to smoothing out the sound as well. I'll let you know how it is with the Senns when they get here.

Feb 13, 2004 at 1:16 AM Post #22 of 43
Quote:

Originally posted by Canman
My bang for the buck pick would be the Singlepower PPX3 with RCA cleartops at about $500. It's a great match for the Sennheisers and a fantastic value.

Sorry if this is a little off topic, fellow head-fi'ers...
But it DOES relate to amping the HD-650's!
smily_headphones1.gif

Canman --

If one does not need to use the Singlepower amp as a preamp...
biggrin.gif

How much does a fully maxed out PPX3 cost? With upgraded tubes?

BANGPOD

Feb 13, 2004 at 1:44 AM Post #23 of 43
Emmeline XP7. For less then $500 the XP7 can really drive those power hungry Senns.

Quote:

Originally posted by musicmaker
cmascatello, I have the stock op-amps (825) and I haven't noticed any harshness.

Same here. In fact I preferred it over the AD797 for my Senns. Of course, YMMV...

Feb 13, 2004 at 2:22 AM Post #24 of 43
BANGPOD, I don't think the PPX3 comes stock as a preamp/headphone amp. It's just a headphone amp. I think the cost is around 450.00 plus 30.00 for the cleartops. You can email Mikhail at sales@singlepower.com for more info.

Feb 13, 2004 at 3:02 AM Post #25 of 43
The ppx3 is $465. The rca cleartops are $30 each x3. I much prefer the clear tops over the stock tubes in my system. A maxed out ppx3 would be almost double the cost of the basic amp. The output cap upgrade is $160. The solen cap upgrades to the power supply are $65 stage 1 and $190 stage 2. Auricap coupling caps are $65. A neutrik locking jack is $25. Vampire rca's are $40. The preamp outputs cost $130 extra; and there are a couple more. The basic amp is a great buy and is great with the senns. I am struggling with what to add to another ppx3. I am also struggling with choosing an upgraded ppx3 or going with a mpx3. The mpx3 though is $775 or $780 stock. The basic amps are so good I believe the upgrades couldnt improve the amps sound that much in relation to the cost; diminishing returns for sure. I am looking at the cost effective upgrades like the solen stage 1 upgrade and possibly the output caps upgrade. The std volume, rca jacks, headphone jack etc are very good parts. I wouldnt want to mess with the sound by adding the auricaps. The solen stage 2 upgrade is more beneficial on the higher end singlepowers. I am unsure if the gain will be to high to work as a preamp on my amp with even a high attenuation volume control, but I would love to use the ppx3 as a preamp. You can get a phono to 1/4' adapter and use the headphone output to drive an amp, but its cumbersome; I tried.

Feb 13, 2004 at 3:10 AM Post #26 of 43
Vintage Marantz 1060 or 22xx series. At less than $100, nothing will touch it for any less than 3 or 4 times it's price. No others can make that statement.

Feb 13, 2004 at 3:40 AM Post #27 of 43
In terms of bang for buck, the Berning Microzotl should be considered right up there, becuase not only is it a great amp for the Senns, but it also can serve as a one source integrated for some reasonably efficient speakers as well. Anything over 89 db can be driven to quite loud levels and I could blow out my eardrums with 94 dB horns in my 14 x 23 living room. OTL design, clear, crisp, plenty of detail and bass too. About $500used, $800 new, but be sure to reserve some $ to roll in NOS 6SN7s and 12AT7s!

Feb 13, 2004 at 4:16 AM Post #29 of 43
Quote:

Originally posted by sacd lover
Sounds like we have given you plenty of options. What amps are you finding the most seductive of the ones we have mentioned?
600smile.gif

Well, I purchased the Perreaux even though I haven't listened to it, but the reviews are excellent, as well as the price. So to me it is a great bang4buck, but I have to listen to it.

Now in terms of seductiveness I'll have to vote for Swampwalker's suggestion, the MicroZOTL. That amp I heard in the recent South FL meet, the sweetest sound I got from that meet was that amp powering the HP-2's. The MicroZOTL powering the HD600's was also incredibly pleasing, that is a real sweet and special amp imho.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back