Best BANG/BUCK Headfone Amp for Senn. 650???
Feb 11, 2004 at 11:56 PM Thread Starter Post #1 of 43

TheeeChosenOne

Head-Fier
Since there is a substantial amount of diminishing returns performance-wise with headphone amps the higher you go up in price, what is the SWEET SPOT BANG FOR BUCK headphone amp for the Sennhieser 650?

In other words, which amp would give you the most performance until one starts to feel that the next best thing up the food chain may not be sooo worth it b/c of the jump in dollars??.......

Feb 12, 2004 at 12:03 AM Post #2 of 43
I would think the Singlepower PPX3, or the ASL MG head MKII, would be in the running.

Feb 12, 2004 at 12:23 AM Post #3 of 43
I would think the Perreaux SHX-1 might also be a contender. I haven't heard it, but a lot of members have said nice things about it!

Feb 12, 2004 at 5:48 AM Post #7 of 43
Quote:

Originally posted by cmascatello
Any thoughts as to where the Emmeline XP-7 and/or HR-2 would fall in this discussion? Decent match for the 650s? Especially with AD797s rolled into them....

nice but not the best bang for the buck.

I second the MG Head and the Perreaux SHX-1 with a mild bias to the Perreaux because its great out of the box while the MG Head needs extra tubes which can be expensive
smily_headphones1.gif

Feb 12, 2004 at 6:17 AM Post #9 of 43
Quote:

Any thoughts as to where the Emmeline XP-7 and/or HR-2 would fall in this discussion? Decent match for the 650s? Especially with AD797s rolled into them....

I have the HR-2 and it's a delicious match with the 650s, truly a very special combo. I'm not sure about the bang for the buck though since I haven't heard the less expensive contenders.

Feb 12, 2004 at 7:45 AM Post #10 of 43
Quote:

I have a XP-7 / 650 combo and absolutely love it. It's phenomenal. I don't know how this compares to the less expensive contenders so don't feel qualified to comment on whether it's the best bang for the buck. I bought the XP-7 based on reviews here. I also liked the portability factor. It's a beautiful amp and well worth the price IMHO.

Feb 12, 2004 at 12:31 PM Post #12 of 43
Quote:

Originally posted by gsferrari
I second the MG Head and the Perreaux SHX-1 with a mild bias to the Perreaux because its great out of the box while the MG Head needs extra tubes which can be expensive
smily_headphones1.gif

With a bit of help from Nick's tuberolling guide, the MG Head can be the perfect accompaniment for the HD 600/650s.

D.

Feb 12, 2004 at 12:35 PM Post #13 of 43
I think the used gilmore amps are especially good buys; especially the gilmore v1. Another favorite of mine is the singlepower ppx3. I find either amp mates well with the hd 650's.
600smile.gif

Feb 12, 2004 at 7:43 PM Post #14 of 43
My bang for the buck pick would be the Singlepower PPX3 with RCA cleartops at about $500. It's a great match for the Sennheisers and a fantastic value.

The Perruaux is also contender for top bang for the buck and AA has demo models available for $269.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back