Best BANG/BUCK Headfone Amp for Senn. 650???
Feb 13, 2004 at 4:23 AM Post #31 of 43
Quote:

Originally posted by rsaavedr
Well, I purchased the Perreaux even though I haven't listened to it, but the reviews are excellent, as well as the price. So to me it is a great bang4buck, but I have to listen to it.

Hey rsaavedr,

I joined the bandwagon too.
biggrin.gif
Today I ordered the Perreaux--there have been so many great things said about it, and considering that it was $300, I couldn't think of a much better bang-for-buck amp, especially for my HD650's. I'm looking forward to hearing your views on this, and comparing them with my own!

Feb 13, 2004 at 4:47 AM Post #32 of 43
Quote:

Originally posted by xaipemw
Hey rsaavedr,

I joined the bandwagon too.
biggrin.gif
Today I ordered the Perreaux--there have been so many great things said about it, and considering that it was $300, I couldn't think of a much better bang-for-buck amp, especially for my HD650's. I'm looking forward to hearing your views on this, and comparing them with my own!

Certainly Xaipemw, I will write my impressions after listening to it for at least a couple of weeks. Looking forward to seeing your impressions, maybe you'll get the 650's before me actually.

Feb 14, 2004 at 3:50 AM Post #33 of 43
Here's the Perreaux! Arrived today, already going through break-in using my Grado SR-60's. (Maybe this is not the right thread though, later on I should post a pic in the headphone rig pictures thread, once the cans arrive)

Feb 14, 2004 at 3:55 AM Post #34 of 43
Well for your buck, I think the PPA is a pretty good value with the 650s. I like the combo at least.

Feb 14, 2004 at 5:01 AM Post #35 of 43
larocco's current ppa and pocket lineup is very good ... their new discrete sounds that much more detailed than the current stock ppa's and you can bias it down for extremely battery friendly usage with little to no loss in sound quality. sounded very good at 4ma very close to the 20ma bias, very good for battery lovers, and their pocket is amazing as well, sounds very close the ppa, the build quality is something you truly want to behold, rather indestructible feel to it.

biggrin.gif
biggrin.gif

Pocket-Reference.jpg

diamond-installed.jpg

Feb 14, 2004 at 6:58 AM Post #36 of 43
hmm rather than start a new thread,
what do you guys think would be better (subjective i know) out of an:

xp-7
ppa
perreaux

for hd650's?

and is there that much of a difference between the PPA's, e.g JMT's and Larocco's?

/edit

also whats the gilmore lite like? - cant find any reviews on it?

Feb 14, 2004 at 8:50 AM Post #37 of 43
larocco is the another company that has started whose only relationship with its creator is namesake, many of the components or tweaks that they use to make their amps are exclusive to their amps.

Feb 18, 2004 at 11:07 AM Post #38 of 43
Quote:

Originally posted by sacd lover
I think the used gilmore amps are especially good buys; especially the gilmore v1. Another favorite of mine is the singlepower ppx3. I find either amp mates well with the hd 650's.
600smile.gif

I went back and listened to the Gilmore V2 and the V2 SE and they really do work exceptionally well with the 650.

Quote:

Originally posted by arcane
hmm rather than start a new thread,
what do you guys think would be better (subjective i know) out of an:

xp-7
ppa
perreaux

for hd650's?

and is there that much of a difference between the PPA's, e.g JMT's and Larocco's?

/edit

also whats the gilmore lite like? - cant find any reviews on it?

XP-7 - Judging by the fact that it is supposed to sound very like the HR-2 I have, this should be dark and sweet with excellent detail and a smooth sound. The high end does tend to get rolled off a bit, but the sound is very nice with the 650s. The lower registers of the piano reverberate excpetionally well and the mids of the violin really sound fantastic, you can really hear the rosin on the strings.

PPAs - This should be a more balanced and neutral sound than the XP-7, particularly in the upper frequencies, but I haven't listened to it enough that I have any in depth views to share.

Perreaux - I haven't heard it, but a lot of folks like it and there are a lot of threads about it around here.

Feb 18, 2004 at 4:35 PM Post #39 of 43
I can only speak to the XP-7 with HD-650s, but it is an exceptional combo, especially with a change in the op amps from the stock AD825 to the AD797. The fact that this amp can be had for less than $500 makes it a reasonable option for any Senn owner. Any perceived deficiencies with the Emmeline sound can be tweaked out by adding an after-market cable to the 650s. My Senns and XP-7 are nearing the end of the burn-in period and the bass extension has improved quite a bit over the past 100 hours.

Feb 18, 2004 at 5:03 PM Post #40 of 43
larocco pocket amp sounds very good .. user the 8610 opamps and buf634s which i believe what the xp7 uses .. ive done some listening tests and it sounds very close to a ppa, and of course gotta love the recharging circuit for it ... you can listen with an AC wall wart while it charges the 2-9volt batteries internally, and when your ready for your trip, unplug and listen some more.
600smile.gif

Feb 18, 2004 at 5:36 PM Post #42 of 43
I decided to get the maxed-out LaRocco Pocket Reference. I am going use it with Sennheiser 650s and Grado PS-1s (at home) and with Etys (on the plane). Click here for more details and a comparison of features vs. Grado RA-1 and Ray Samuels XP-7.

Quote:

Originally posted by xtreme4099
larocco's current ppa and pocket lineup is very good [...], and their pocket is amazing as well, sounds very close the ppa, the build quality is something you truly want to behold, rather indestructible feel to it.

biggrin.gif
biggrin.gif

Pocket-Reference.jpg

Users who are viewing this thread

Back