Best "audiophile" on-ear headphone
Aug 17, 2010 at 8:18 AM Post #16 of 24
But like Deep Funk said, the HD25s are hard to beat (for the price and comfort), maybe you should try out the HD25-1 IIs, maybe they are better then your HD25-1 Is. I have only heard the HD25-1 IIs, so I don't quite know what the I's sound like.

Aug 18, 2010 at 7:46 AM Post #17 of 24
I currently own the ESW10.

They're definitely the best headphones I've had thus far, but I wouldn't consider them fantastically balanced and accurate. Although they have an equal amount of bass, mids and trebles, I think that they're quite heavily coloured WITHIN each frequency band. Their mids have a spike around 2500 hz, but a dip around 600. Their trebles have a dip somewhere and the bass, though rather well extended, does struggle a bit to reach those lower notes. Soundstage isn't very wide.

Also : my Cowon S9 doesn't drive them well IMHO. I really feel they need a better source / amp.

I'm pretty sure they'll be an improvement over your HD-25 though (as they're already better than the SRH840 which are supposed to be in the same rank as the SRH840).

Frankly I'm in the same boat as you (trying to find a very good set of balanced, accurate portable headphones), but I'm starting to feel it's a lost cause right now. And I wouldn't spend all my money on a pair of Ed.8 which are supposedly quite coloured as well.

Aug 18, 2010 at 10:48 AM Post #18 of 24

Quote:
Frankly I'm in the same boat as you (trying to find a very good set of balanced, accurate portable headphones), but I'm starting to feel it's a lost cause right now. And I wouldn't spend all my money on a pair of Ed.8 which are supposedly quite coloured as well.

Count me in into the search for the right portables too. I have ESW9s and they are nice, but I am thinking about something better.

Nov 30, 2010 at 6:47 PM Post #19 of 24
For me the T50p slayed the hd25 and I owned both.

It has a much bigger sound stage than the hd25, the hd25 highs seem a bit sibilant to me at times and the whole presentation seemed somewhat restricted for me compared to the smooth flow of the t50p. Having improved the clamping the t50p have a better focused bass but they do tend to favor the detail genres with the Tesla technology. The T50p actually is not as aggressive as the hd25 but not as bright making it very non fatiguing.

If you want detail, sound stage and great presentation then I would pick the T50P :)

Nov 30, 2010 at 8:28 PM Post #20 of 24

Quote:
For me the T50p slayed the hd25 and I owned both.

It has a much bigger sound stage than the hd25, the hd25 highs seem a bit sibilant to me at times and the whole presentation seemed somewhat restricted for me compared to the smooth flow of the t50p. Having improved the clamping the t50p have a better focused bass but they do tend to favor the detail genres with the Tesla technology. The T50p actually is not as aggressive as the hd25 but not as bright making it very non fatiguing.

If you want detail, sound stage and great presentation then I would pick the T50P :)

that's one of the most positive reviews of the T50's yet. You've peaked my interest.

Be careful of the ESW9's, they were hugley counterfeited. I wonder if an amp for your already... pretty good HD25-1   MKI (bought my HD25-1 in 1997 and I've still got themm) would be a route to look at.

Dec 1, 2010 at 7:03 AM Post #21 of 24
both cans are easy to drive off a DAP or PMP, but you want the amp for various reasons. The t50p benefits at the low end more with a dedicated amp such as an ibasso d4.

Now word of caution, I originally bought the t50p in august and sent it to SG upon request since the clamp was too loose. Apparently Beyer accept this now and the SG team took mine to Germany for their R&D to reengineer the clamp. Result was a better clamp and better isolation so naturally improved bass.

Some of the buddies I have own stax o2 and grado ps1000 and they gave the preference to the t50p over the hd25, I myself own the stx 3030 system so I felt the T50p really was more in the treble camp than the bass camp. Mind you great detail and smooth delivery win over big bass every time in my book.

but then we all like folk, jazz and acoustics hehe.. 

on balance the hd25 is more robust than the t50p for physical build but the product presentation and hard case for the t50p was superior. I felt Beyer cared more about the t50p than Senn did for the hd25. But then you are paying $100 more for the t50p :)

Users who are viewing this thread

Back