Best audiophile metal and rock albums
Oct 7, 2015 at 8:00 AM Post #409 of 525
Megadeth - Peace Sells (remixed and remastered) - great and very live sound
Samael - Blood ritual - might look as a surprising choice because it's their second album issued when the band was still semi-underground. Apart from awesome dark songs I absolutely love how this album sounds. all instruments are very clear, heavy guitars, powerful bass and crispy trebles. 

Oct 7, 2015 at 7:12 PM Post #410 of 525
Oh, yeah the Peace Sell... album! Perhaps the sole metal album in my collection that sounded outright AMAZING with my HD800! I have a different release though:

This is the original japanese edition with higher Dynamic Range score. Certainly not as loud as the reissue editions though!

Oct 14, 2015 at 2:14 PM Post #411 of 525
I will leave out the obvious ones that's been repeated. Looks like I always seem to like stuff not many like.

Jimmy Eat World is one of my favorites and their stuff was recorded quite well, even the old albums. Episode IV just absorbs me in every time I listen to it. Songs like "Get it Faster" are practically head phones only but man does it sound amazing on good headphones.

Filter is another favorite of mine. Though I like the album Short Bus ...it was not recorded very well. Their albums increase in quality each release after though.

I thought Garbage would sound better since they love to layer their songs but they still sound good compared to most rock albums.

Incubus did a good job with their albums. So did Strapping Young Lad. Alien Ant Farm surprised me as well as I love listening to "Stranded" on my set up. (WA7 and DT990s)

Oct 15, 2015 at 10:07 AM Post #412 of 525
id like to thank who ever recommended the band distillator ang their album revolutionary cells. i was listening to a killswitch engage album, then switched to distillator album. i was shocked by how the sound improved on my earphones, its like instant upgrade of my gear. i like how clean their recording is, how one instrument can be heard and not being affected by another instrument. the recording is clean, which is ironic, it being a "trash" metal album. i wonder how they recorded it and what do they call it? id like to find other albums that was recorded this way.

Oct 15, 2015 at 10:56 AM Post #413 of 525
Ima have a listen.. Preliminarily, I'd like some more treble and bass, though recording seems good, the guitar really stands out.

Can't quite think of something that resembles as well as I'd like. But try Slayer - South of Heaven/Reign in Blood or perhaps Children of Bodom - Follow the Reaper. Both are a bit more fatigueing listens with more treble, but good recordings.

Oct 20, 2015 at 3:18 AM Post #415 of 525

Much prefer One from TesseracT. I haven't been able to really get into Polaris but will give another listen. One is by far their best effort IMO though

Oct 27, 2015 at 7:12 AM Post #416 of 525
I will leave out the obvious ones that's been repeated. Looks like I always seem to like stuff not many like.

Jimmy Eat World is one of my favorites and their stuff was recorded quite well, even the old albums. Episode IV just absorbs me in every time I listen to it. Songs like "Get it Faster" are practically head phones only but man does it sound amazing on good headphones.

Filter is another favorite of mine. Though I like the album Short Bus ...it was not recorded very well. Their albums increase in quality each release after though.

I thought Garbage would sound better since they love to layer their songs but they still sound good compared to most rock albums.

Incubus did a good job with their albums. So did Strapping Young Lad. Alien Ant Farm surprised me as well as I love listening to "Stranded" on my set up. (WA7 and DT990s)

Man, I absolutely love Strapping Young Lad, but I think the recording quality is pretty awful on all of their albums. Very much a "wall of sound" approach that doesn't seem to value instrument separation (among other things)... Always wished they'd do a solid remastering job on those albums. 

Oct 28, 2015 at 5:10 AM Post #417 of 525

Man, I absolutely love Strapping Young Lad, but I think the recording quality is pretty awful on all of their albums. Very much a "wall of sound" approach that doesn't seem to value instrument separation (among other things)... Always wished they'd do a solid remastering job on those albums. 

I really like City by SYL, but I have an early CD release and I know what you mean about the recording quality. There is a remaster on Century Media from 2007 - never heard it though.

Oct 29, 2015 at 7:38 AM Post #418 of 525

I really like City by SYL, but I have an early CD release and I know what you mean about the recording quality. There is a remaster on Century Media from 2007 - never heard it though.

I have the remaster of City, and as I recall (only think I've listened to it once or twice), it's a bit better, but not the sort of deep reworking an album that brilliant actually deserves. Although the the undifferentiated mix on Alien actually kind of works with the manic feel of that album, I would particularly like to hear that one completely redone, as I've always really liked it immensely. 

I kind of hope that Devin will either do a proper remix/remaster at some point, or do a "live in the studio" remake with better recording quality. Probably never happen (especially given the volume of output that guy maintains), but hey, a guy can dream!

Nov 2, 2015 at 10:31 PM Post #419 of 525
The Japan SACD of Black Sabbath's Paranoid is sublime. You can find an SACD rip of it - I recommend DSD playback for optimal sound quality, though purchasing a physical copy may break the bank, since it's a limited edition.

Nov 3, 2015 at 12:08 AM Post #420 of 525
The Japan SACD of Black Sabbath's Paranoid is sublime. You can find an SACD rip of it - I recommend DSD playback for optimal sound quality, though purchasing a physical copy may break the bank, since it's a limited edition.

Do you know the DR figure of this particular rip?

Users who are viewing this thread

Back