Best audiophile metal and rock albums
Jun 23, 2014 at 8:13 PM Post #346 of 525
A friend set me onto Haken's "Cockroach King" from The Mountain, and holy balls is that ever a killer prog track... Can't get those vocal lines out of my head!!

That seems to be the most polarizing track on the album, although I love it! My favourite release of 2013, and masterfully produced

Jul 22, 2014 at 6:32 PM Post #349 of 525
Sep 23, 2014 at 7:12 PM Post #353 of 525
Late to this thread by a couple years, but thought I'd ask if anyone has purchased the earlier Dream Theater albums from HDTracks or on vinyl? I have Systematic Chaos on Vinyl, and ADTOE on hi-res, but wondered if there was any notion as to the source material and mastering on some of these releases? It would suck to plop down $40 on a vinyl of Octovarium only to find it sounds like crap.

And someone mentioned Images and Words as a great DT recording. I always wondered if there was a way to go back and remove that triggered snare. Then it would be the best DT recording of all. :)

Oct 4, 2014 at 9:35 PM Post #355 of 525
As usual, I'm a day late and a dollar short.  Hey, I just joined up last month, so back off already.
very_evil_smiley.gif
  Anywho, lots of the Rush remasters are pretty good as are the Japanese SHM pressings of many Led Zep CDs.  Agree on the MFSL The Wall (got it) and most SACD versions you can get.  Check this site for SACDs if you're interested: http://www.sa-cd.net/.

Oct 8, 2014 at 3:19 PM Post #356 of 525
  Big Big Train - English Electric (Parts 1 and 2)
David Maxim Micic - BILO 3.0
Haken - The Mountain
Karnivool - Sound Awake
Intervals - A Voice Within
Steven Wilson - The Raven That Refused To Sing
Thank You Scientist - Maps of Non-Existent Places

...all sound amazing

I absolutely agree with you. Great music.

Oct 15, 2014 at 5:02 AM Post #357 of 525
i will post discographies, and name of bands... the entire discography, is nice from all these bands... i might include what has been said around here we go:

ART:

Muse
Being 
Bats

Black Metal:

Arcane Grail
Botanist
Cradle of Filth
Dark Mirror ov Tragedy
Dimmu Borgir
Obscurcis Romancia

Christian Metal:

Breaking Benjamin
Falling Up
Thousand Foot Krutsch
Three Days Grace
With Blood Comes Cleansing

Post Hardcore: - I really recommend listening to these bands... from all generas these are the best

A Lot Like Birds
Alesana
Art By Numbers
Closure In Moscow
Escape the fate
Gojira 
Hotel Books
Just like vinyl
La Dispute - Far better than most of them, i recommend only the albums, not the ep's
fall of troy
Pierce the veil
Protest The Hero
Sianvar - Amazing band

Alternative:

Arctic Monkeys
BabyMetal
Crazy Town
Dope
Drowning Pool
Finger Eleven
Incubus
Maximum The Hormone
Theory of a deaman

Industrial:

Mindless self indulgence
Rob Zombie

Nu Metal:

Linkin park - nice sound overall
Korn - Some albums have AMAZING mastering
Scars On Broadway

Punk:

Bad Religion
Billy Talent
Dorlene Love
Fall Out Boy
Green Day
NoFx
Offspring
Royal Republic
Sum 41
Useless id - Small band, amazing sound

Pop

Amy Diamond - Never thought it had such a good master until i gave it a long listen
Avril lavigne
Katy perry
Lady Gaga
Maroon 5

Symphonic:

Eluveitie
Evanescence
Haggard
Kowai
Mortemia
Sirenia
Tarja Turunen
Tristania
Winds

Technical Death

Abnormal Thought Pattern
Aeon
Dagon 
Dethklok
Unhuman
Wintersun

DeathCore - This has a particular sound, not everyone will like it, the bands are not general deathcore, are an audiophile kind of technical deathcore

Born of Osiris
Infant annihilator
interrupting cow
killwhitneydead - actually this is just fun to listen to, not most exceptional mastering
Rings Of Saturn - If you don't listen to this on a GOOD setup, you cannot say you listened to the most amazing thing ever. Also, The Last 2 albums... The first album has a bad recording, and is way to loud... 
Years since the storm - somehow, they sound bad, have bad lyrics, and yet they have a good mastering.... well....

This was the list. If something is not fully metal, it is related... i advice everyone to listen to these bands, as mostly they will be very very good...
Also, as a metalhead, you should know on what genera you are... not everyone likes all generes... i like mostly all geners of metal..... also, i am getting everything posted on this thread, at least to try.... 

A nice Experience to everyone!

EDIT:: Please, do not post spam about bands posted by me not being metal, again they are a subgenere of metal... or will be liked by some metalheads... also, if one album by one band sounds bad, it doesn't mean that all albums sound... mostly, all bands posted by me have at least 2-3 audiophile grade albums, with amazing soundstage, and sound quality... some might not even have more than 1 album, case being sianvar, but still are audiophile level,.... also, bands which started recording very early, might have signs of bad equipment on very very old recordings... it is normal, and you can listen to newer ones.. i am just saying we should not spam the thread with discussions, but with bands!...

Oct 23, 2014 at 9:58 PM Post #358 of 525
I like the re-mastered version of Pink Floyd's "The Wall". I'd really like to see it on HDtracks, someday.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back