Best audiophile metal and rock albums
Nov 19, 2014 at 7:53 AM Post #361 of 525
Pop

Amy Diamond - Never thought it had such a good master until i gave it a long listen
Avril lavigne
Katy perry
Lady Gaga
Maroon 5

I'd add to the Maroon 5 bit that the new album "V" is imo very poorly mastered, although the album "Overexposed" was siqnificantly better sounding.

Dec 25, 2014 at 1:10 AM Post #362 of 525
Would recommend the new Ghost Brigade album, IV: One with the Storm.

Dec 28, 2014 at 12:13 AM Post #367 of 525
Hum's You'd Prefer an Astronaut album.

Pretty good album and sounds amazing too with great dynamic range and everything especially for rock!
http://dr.loudness-war.info/album/view/67899

Dec 28, 2014 at 1:12 PM Post #368 of 525
ghost brigade - one with the storm... the album is pretty well recorded, a little loud, but clear. soundstage is normal, not too spacious, not too congested.. good album. for what it is, death melodic, it sounds amazing, but it is slower than most death out there. other albums did not sound great. this one did. 

ne obliviscaris - portal of I, pretty interesting album. the soundstage was good, but the placement was amazing. for what it is, it is kind of nice..

lantlos - melting sun - the sound was all right, pretty well recorded, not too loud, but the music itself was not for me. very very clear cymbals. i am not into post rock at all, so i cannot judge it by how it sounds compared to other bands.

ne obliviscaris - citadel clear better sound that portal of i.. everything was better recorded and mastered. compared to portal of i...

sleep - dopesmoker - i did not liked neither the remaster not the original. not audiophile level. 

mono sounded good, all albums...it is very very good mastered, but does not have a sense of space, the soundstage was congested. nice separation between instruments either way

about maroon 5, the first and second album are both audiophile grade... hands all over was nice, almost better than first two albums... later it became like, the quality was dropping. both overexposed and V are pretty loud, with overexposed still being a very very good album, but V indeed is not at the same level. i love the guitar details in doin dirt from overexposed..

Dec 30, 2014 at 12:09 AM Post #369 of 525
  ghost brigade - one with the storm... the album is pretty well recorded, a little loud, but clear. soundstage is normal, not too spacious, not too congested.. good album. for what it is, death melodic, it sounds amazing, but it is slower than most death out there. other albums did not sound great. this one did. 

ne obliviscaris - portal of I, pretty interesting album. the soundstage was good, but the placement was amazing. for what it is, it is kind of nice..

lantlos - melting sun - the sound was all right, pretty well recorded, not too loud, but the music itself was not for me. very very clear cymbals. i am not into post rock at all, so i cannot judge it by how it sounds compared to other bands.

ne obliviscaris - citadel clear better sound that portal of i.. everything was better recorded and mastered. compared to portal of i...

sleep - dopesmoker - i did not liked neither the remaster not the original. not audiophile level. 

mono sounded good, all albums...it is very very good mastered, but does not have a sense of space, the soundstage was congested. nice separation between instruments either way

about maroon 5, the first and second album are both audiophile grade... hands all over was nice, almost better than first two albums... later it became like, the quality was dropping. both overexposed and V are pretty loud, with overexposed still being a very very good album, but V indeed is not at the same level. i love the guitar details in doin dirt from overexposed..

Awesome overview on the albums. Haven't checked out much of the new Ne Obliviscaris album but I purchased it off of band camp so I'll get around to it soon.

Dec 30, 2014 at 4:32 AM Post #371 of 525
Katatonia - Dethroned & Uncrowned....softer version of their previous album Dead End Kings....Absolutely Amazing to listen via headphones.. :)

Dec 30, 2014 at 4:33 AM Post #372 of 525
Katatonia - Dethroned & Uncrowned....softer version of their previous album Dead End Kings, Absolutely beautiful to listen via headphones. :)
*oops..sorry for the double post*

Jan 1, 2015 at 1:35 AM Post #373 of 525
Get on it! It's the definitely album of the year quality.

Will do.

Highly recommend Ghost Brigade, the more I listen the more I like.

Saor's new album is solid as well.

Jan 2, 2015 at 8:05 AM Post #374 of 525
Pretty much anything that Adam Dutkiewicz (from Killswitch Engaged) gets to produce or acts as a sound engineer. Talented all rounder.

Jan 3, 2015 at 2:16 AM Post #375 of 525
I don't think an audiophile approach is appropriate to evaluate Sleep's Dopesmoker. If you're looking for pristine recording quality and dynamics, then sure, you'll be disappointed, and to be fair it doesn't even make sense bringing them up on this thread. But their brilliant use of blown-out distortion and the gradually evolving hooks are visceral, nearly spiritual. One of the greatest albums of its kind. But not so much for audiophiles.

I really fell in love with the sound of Syd Arthur's second album, Sound Mirror. Also some of the other psych prog albums I listed in my year-end summary are worth checking out. Everyone knows the Opeth of course but not so much some of the others.

Psych Prog, Prog & Neo-Prog
motorpsycho-behind-150x150.jpg
sydarthur-sound-150x150.jpg

Psych Prog is mostly associated with music made between 1968 and 1972 when psychedelic music was evolving into progressive. However a few bands have been revisiting that territory and actually expanding on it, like Spirits Of The Dead, Wolf People and Hidden Masters. UK psych proggers Syd Arthur was a slow burner for me. They’ve toured with Yes but have more in common with Caravan and Mahavishnu Orchestra. Their first album pays tribute to 70s Canterbury prog and the second carries over some of the folky elements, with a focused sound that's just so rich you want to soak in it. Norway’s psych prog masters Motorpsycho are on an incredible roll, releasing new albums almost every year. After such a long career, it seems they’re taken for granted. I so, so wish Opeth would have chosen Motorpsycho to accompany them on their North American tour. It would have been far more appropriate than In Flames, for ****’s sake. However it was nice when 20% of the crowd exited the sold-out venue after In Flames’ set and before Opeth came on. The show was more of a span of career highlights, with only a few songs from their completely non-metal prog albums. I wouldn’t have minded an entire set of their prog, as Pale Communionwas pretty great. British psych prog newcomers Messenger would have been perfect for the opening slot too. | Spotify

Users who are viewing this thread

Back