Best android music player app?
Nov 27, 2012 at 8:20 PM Thread Starter Post #1 of 633

MetalGearEH

New Head-Fier
Anyone opinions on this. Thinking about switching my portable music playing over to my phone for space saving purposes. Need to know a good app to use. Free or paid is ok.

Nov 27, 2012 at 8:52 PM Post #2 of 633
Lots of posts and threads on this topic here already.

For pure sound quality people are going to recommend Neutron Music Player.

For overall SQ+features+UI you will get recommended a mix of PowerAMP and Player Pro.

There are dozens of other players but it is unusual to be recommended any outside of these three.

I use PowerAMP myself, but I'm doing all my listening via USB DAC/amp, so SQ is all handled off-device.

Nov 29, 2012 at 4:04 PM Post #3 of 633
Quote:
Originally Posted by NZtechfreak /img/forum/go_quote.gif

There are dozens of other players but it is unusual to be recommended any outside of these three.

Well, I recommend Winamp. 

Although I concede I did love Poweramp before my free trial ran out.  Total cheapskate here. 

Nov 30, 2012 at 10:36 AM Post #7 of 633
Neutron sounds very good on my new Galaxy S3, and even better via an OTG cable into an HRT Headstreamer.  Much better than i would have guessed.  Poweramp sounds good as well - I have not really done a careful comparison yet, but usually go to Neutron when i chose the phone for music playback.  I am not sure why people think the GUI is bad, it is easy to pick music, play it, and control the volume, and other settings - what more could you want?

Nov 30, 2012 at 11:41 AM Post #9 of 633
The verticle scrolling is a little sloppy, it keeps going unnecessarily sometimes, and the side-swipe transitions/menu navigation can be over-sensitive.
Quote:
Neutron sounds very good on my new Galaxy S3, and even better via an OTG cable into an HRT Headstreamer.  Much better than i would have guessed.  Poweramp sounds good as well - I have not really done a careful comparison yet, but usually go to Neutron when i chose the phone for music playback.  I am not sure why people think the GUI is bad, it is easy to pick music, play it, and control the volume, and other settings - what more could you want?

Nov 30, 2012 at 11:51 AM Post #10 of 633
Seems like I remember the EQ being only 4 bands on the trial version of Neutron....don't know if the paid version gives you more than that. But 4 bands really isn't as many as I would like.

Nov 30, 2012 at 2:42 PM Post #11 of 633
Seems like I remember the EQ being only 4 bands on the trial version of Neutron....don't know if the paid version gives you more than that. But 4 bands really isn't as many as I would like.

Yeah its the same for the paid version. I just think the sound is slightly better than PowerAmp, and I prefer the layout. PowerAmp is still a great app though, good enough that I have it on my Infuse to use Stereo X and the EQ for my girlfriend's crappy car speakers.

Nov 30, 2012 at 9:06 PM Post #12 of 633
PowerAmp for the win. Better customization, better UI, and the sq it allows you to get is excellent.

Nov 30, 2012 at 9:13 PM Post #13 of 633
Quote:

If you're using USB audio then the player doesn't matter in terms of SQ.

Nov 30, 2012 at 9:21 PM Post #14 of 633
I personally use Spotify. Most of my music collection is actually on there, in 320kbps as well, but its not free at £9.99 a month. That said, you do get alot.

You then simply connect your PC to an internet connection, put your mobile to the same connection (WI-FI), and you can put MP3's on the playlist straight from your PC, and it will automatically download it to your phone if you have that playlist set to download.

Only thing that is missing for me, is the ability to play other formats, i.e transport FLAC over, or module formats.

But other than that, I find it very useful for everything.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back